“Better Than Expected”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Happy Camp, California, United States
“Better Than Expected”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have stayed in HI's before and have always found them satisfactory or better. Though I am not a big fan of city life, the location was easy to get to. This hotel was very comfortable and the staff helpful. After a long drive (5 hours) it was nice to go to the room and find it clean and actually well decorated (as far as hotels go). We appreciate the response to our needs during the conference held at this location and the smiles that were on the faces of the staff as they served. It was a very nice stay! I will book here again.

Kirk Eadie
Happy Camp HS
Athletic Director

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kirk E
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Chico, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you so much taking the time to review our hotel. It’s great to hear that are staff took such great care of you during your stay. We are focusing on providing are guests with superior customer service. Thank you again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Valley Springs, CA
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This Holiday Inn has been at this location for many years. My wife and her friends frequented the hopping party bar during their years just after high school. Sometimes you want to party, but sometimes after a hard day you just want to crawl into bed and pass out with the remote in your hand.
Waking up refreshed and ready to have a decent breakfast, with a little coffee and juice should be a given.
A little familiarity or pleasant banter from the desk person, even if it is insincere. This should be expected even more when they have asked for your priority membership card and it indicates that you are a frequent guest of Holiday Inn.
Just because you are tired, it's getting late, there are a bazillion weddings in town and the desk manger knows that the accessible room he's holding is very desirable at that very moment is no justification to jack a small room with a twin bed up to almost $300.00.
Parties have been going on here for a long time. The place has been upgraded a few times in the last 30 years. Big changes in sound quality have taken place in the last three decades, with better performance and bass drivers. Believe me, I love music and I have been known to go to a 11 on occasion, but I also know when I need a good night sleep.
Sometimes... no always, it is advisable to figure out why a room has leaking fluids present on the wall or ceiling.
The Holiday Inn breakfast varies from place to place, with some offerings being quite a bit better than another. Modifying the format with the addition of wait-personnel who now take your order after you present your "Oxford-Suites"-type ticket would work a lot better if they got your order right, gave you enough,and seemed somewhat satisfied that they had a job in these troubled economic times.
Running a hotel requires experience. Successfully running one requires a knack for customer service and the ability to manage others. Having guests returning again and again to your hotel requires the ability to know how you want to be treated and creating that comfortable, relaxing environment for people like you and other members of the traveling public.
Some people can wake up one day and play the piano. Some may think that they could easily run a restaurant or operate a lodging facility. Most of them are absolutely wrong. It takes a lot of dedication, patience and the desire to constantly improve.
Dealing with the public is never easy and there is no one answer, but here are some suggestions that I have taken the time to write. You can do whatever you wish with them, but please do not use a "cookie-cutter" response telling me that my opinions are important to you. I really don't think that they are, but I believe your facility would benefit greatly from the following suggestions.
DJ's, thumping bass drivers and party-goers having a great time till the wee hours can co-exist with people/families who just want to relax. Properly installed insulation will fix most of these issues, but the percussion and vibrations traveling from the party bar would probably be dramatically reduced with a resilient channel type installation. The fairly inexpensive metal channel is connected to the framing members and the wall finish is fastened to that, disconnecting the path the bass was taking to your tranquil bed. Get someone to install it and make sure it is installed correctly, or it won't work as well.

Looking at the evidence of a leak on a ceiling or wall is unpleasant, not relaxing and the associated mold can often be unhealthy to some, or even lethal to others. Bleach it, clean it and paint it. Not hard, just requires prioritization. See if any of the people working in breakfast area are possibly adept at this task and others like this.

The skills of Cleaning, Sanitation, and Housekeeping are not something everyone is born with. Find one person who is good at these types of things and has a lot of experience. Get that person to teach everyone else and constantly provide updates to these staff members as needed to maintain an expected level of quality.

Pay for management training and be careful when you hire people. Nepotism successfully works always. No, just kidding. Nepotism works occasionally and even though it often doesn't, when it does work it can be very rewarding.

Put the breakfast area back the way it used to be.
Or move the guys in the kitchen out to some sort of omelet bar...
Or open up the wall between the food prep area/kitchen with a window
Keep on or two coffee urns going for a while after the breakfast period ends

Be nice to the people, especially the ones who have stayed at the hotels of others similar to yours and hopefully some day, you'll see people redeeming those points at your facility.

If you have to keep the breakfast format as it is currently configured, at least find a veteran server with people skills, patience and the ability to pass those skills to many others.

I cannot remember the name of the girl who was on duty the morning following the rave, but have her pass along some well warranted advice to Ravi so he too can be customer oriented.
Ravi, be fair to your guests. Don't overcharge them just because you can and definitely don't look happy doing it.

This is not meant to be mean, but your facility would benefit immensely from one suggestion. Close your place for one or two days and make reservations for all of your personnel at the Oxford.Make it like one of those time-share presentations at a resort... A nice little group holiday to reward your staff and show them that they matter to you, but they all have to attend a seminar in the form of looking how other facilities, such as this one, do the same job differently.
There you go. I'm really busy, but I took the time to offer what I think are fair criticisms and decent corrective suggestions. I was unfair to vent on the girl who was working the morning of Sept. 30 and she was more than fair. She was really quite professional refunding our money without delay and being genuinely sympathetic. Hope it all works out for you and the Holiday Inn in Chico.

Room Tip: If it is party night in the bar and you want to sleep, go to the other side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kevin_Marni_Sparks
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Chico, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry we did not exceed your expectations. We are glad you received a full refund. I am working with our staff to try and come up with solutions to some of the things you mentioned, one of them being the load music. We all hope you might come back in the future to see some of the changes we have made!

Travelers are raving about these Chico hotels

San Bernardino, California
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We took a 12 hour Amtrak ride to stop in at my Aunt's 90th birthday party for cake. This hotel picked us up quickly at the station at 9PM. The beds were extremely comfy by my standards, the room was clean, flat screen TV worked just fine, and the windows open which is something you don't get much of nowdays. The desk staff was friendly, the club was loud when we walked in, but never heard anything on the 2nd floor. Since we didn't have a car, this was in walking distance to my aunt's on one side, and shopping/Starbucks on the other. Will stay again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DDBoardman
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Chico, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and you where able to see you aunt on her Birthday. We hope you might come back and see us again in the future
Visalia, California
Reviewed October 8, 2012

They had drunk people by my room from 11:30 - 4:30 in the morning. I complained 5 times from 11:30 - 4:30. The noise stopped when the drunk people went to sleep. Management named Ravi was very unresponsive.The room had water damage and mold growing. The restaurant's food was cold, coffee horrible. It was the worst expereince I have ever had at a hotel. I am a business man and would not be in business if I treated people like we were treated.,

Room Tip: Stay at the Marriott.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kevin P
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Chico, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I do have to apologize for not exceeding your expatiations. I have brought your complaints to my staff’s attention, and we are working to resolve some of your issues. I do apologize again and hope you might give us another chance in the future
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Came to Chico air show for the weekend. Room was great, free breakfast was good and a nice surprise and the pool party on Sunday was a great ending. Had a chance to meet some of the Canadian pilots that performed in tge air show saturday night at the hub lounge and dnaced the night to the dj performing there. FUN FUN FUN!! Keep up the good work Chico Holiday Inn

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank SirHusky1
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the Sunday Pool Party. We hope you might come back and see us again in the future.
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel and had a good experience. It is your basic chain hotel, but it is clean, the staff is very friendly and it is in a very good location near the center of town and the freeway. We ate at the restaurant once for dinner, which was very good. The lounge has something going on every night from football to salsa dancing to fights - a great place to hang out. We stayed here for several nights because a family member was in the hospital and the hotel offered a discounted rate which was very much appreciated. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank castlerockjoe
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Chico, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the lounge and the different events we offer. It’s always great to here from our guest. Thank you and we all hope to see you again soon
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed here while visiting a friend at Enloe Rehab Ctr. Hotel gives a disc price of $70/night plus tax. The room looked ok at first, but when I went to use the phone, there was sticky stuff all over it, and on the night stand. It was late at night, so I cleaned it with wipes. It was creepy, but otherwise room seemed to be clean.

My other complaint is that I made 3 local calls. I called front desk first to ask about charges, and they said all local calls are free, just dial 9 first. But when I got my bill, I was charged $1.50 for each call, of less than 1 minute each. When I asked about it, desk said that if you call cel phone or out of the area, there is a charge. I explained that these calls were all to downtown Chico businesses, not cel phones. She told me there was nothing she could do about it. So beware. My cel phone battery was low, which is why I thought to use the "free" local call option.

And finally, altho I read that breakfast was included, desk told me because I was getting a special low rate, it did not include breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

4 Thank Diana J
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry that we did not meet your expatiations. We do offer local calls within a 5 mile radius. I do hope that we might see you again in the future.