“The only place I will stay while in Chico” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Goodman House

Goodman House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chico
Goodman House
Ranked #1 of 4 Chico B&B and Inns
Modesto, California
“The only place I will stay while in Chico”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

I have been an online member of CABBI...the California Association of Bed & Breakfast Inns for several years. I decided to visit one of their member B&B's as my hotel while I was visiting Chico during the week of August 15th for a 3 day business meeting...I could not have chosen a more delightful B&B.

The owners, Tom and Margo, treated me as if I were a visiting Head of State...every accomodation that I could have wanted was offered...and I'm not a demanding guest...it was their way of showing to each of the visiting guests that it was their obligation to extend every courtesy possible while we were staying at their home.

I stayed in one of the bedrooms on the second floor...great double bed, pillows galore and the softest sheets. A TV, I had hoped to watch the Giants games but returned too late from my meetings, an armoir, closet and bathroom with numerous upscale toilitries.

Wireless internet, of course, and I utilized one of the small end tables (with chair) for my laptop and papers.

However wonderful the bedroom was it was the breakfast that was out of this world.

Each day was a different menu...4 or 5 juices, milk, teas, coffee and just the most deliciious breakfast food imaginable (they even had the sugar subsitute Splenda, which is someting that is often overlooked)...much more than I could have imagined would be
served...from pastries to fruits to the main courses. Without question, the breakfast's alone make the Goodman House a treasure find...it will be the only hotel I stay in in my
subsequent twice annual trips to the tree laden streets of Chico.

To make matters even more comfortable, each days breakfast guests were interesting vistors and our breakfast conversations lasted longer than, I'm sure, any of us had intended...but the ambiance was such that we did not want to get up and go to our business meetings.

Oh, did I mention that they have a full parking lot at the rear of the house.

Also, my business hosts, who reside in Chico, made it a point to come inside to meet and see the B&B on the night they took me to dinner at a restaurant located just 3 blocks down
the street.

Speaking of dinner, the first night I ate at the Red Tavern, a great, great restaurant located just one block from the Goodman House...a restaurant that would fit comfortably on 4th St.
in Berkeley...the staff was wonderful and very attentative.

As the Goodman House is located in what is concidered the central part of town, everyting of interest is within a few miles...make no mistake, of all of theplaces I've had the pleasure of staying from San Francisco to Shanghai to Paris to Seoul, the Goodman House Bed and Breakfast is and was a wonderful experience.

Tom and Margo are to be complemented.

The Goodman House Bed and Breakfast is the only place I will stay going forward during my, now, twice annual trips to Chico.

Room Tip: Merely call ahead and speak with Tom or Margo...they will accomodate your every need.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Gregory W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Having grown up in Chico, I was so surprised to find a such a beautiful B&B. Goodman House was warm, comforting and a wonderful place to lay our heads. It's is a nice walk from downtown and the campus (but buses are readily available) and the perfect place to lay your head (the bed were incredible!). I won't hesitate to stay there during our next trip.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nginger
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

Other reviewers have raved about the Goodman House, so I won't go into detail here. There are many positive features of this B&B: "homey" feel, comfortable beds, perfect service, free parking and wireless with good reception, competitive pricing and discounts, free port wine (hiccup!), tasty breakfast, proximity to transportation (such as it is), Enloe hospital and Red Tavern Restaurant. Guests need to realize that this establishment is on one of Chico's "main drag" streets (though an attractive, tree-lined one). Rooms are somewhat small and some may need a bit of renovation. Would rate it at 4 1/2 stars.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank kaktiliw
California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at the Goodman house and had a wonderful experience. We were welcomed with appetizers and refreshments upon arrival as it was during social hour. The house and rooms were very charming and had a true B&B feeling. The rooms are decent size for two people and EACH ROOM HAS IT'S OWN BATHROOM. The breakfast in the morning was plentiful and delicious and the host were more than accommodating. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MegRo
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

We wanted to get out of San Francisco for a long weekend and decided to drive to Chico, since we hadn't been before. There didn't seem to be many good hotel options, but after just a little bit of online research, found this B&B. It's recommended by Sunset magazine, which I've generally found to be trustworthy, and certainly in this case that was true.
The house is beautiful and conveniently located. The B&B is a short walk to the Cal State Chico campus, downtown and Bidwell Park (lower).
Upon arrival -- and without a plan for dinner two days before Valentine's Day -- Tom & Margo suggested a restaurant just two blocks away. Within minutes, they called and got us a reservation at a great restaurant. That experience pretty much set the tone for the weekend -- everything was easy, enjoyable, and Margo & Tom helped out whenever/however they could.
Breakfast both mornings was delicious ... even though the bed was so comfortable that it was tempting to sleep in late, the aromas of cooking food roused us from the bed.
Our room (#1) was comfortable, clean, and had everything you'd need/want. The window overlooked the street, and even though it was winter during our visit and the leaves had fallen from the trees, it was easy to imagine how pretty Chico would be to visit during the spring or fall.
Attached is a photo taken from our room ... complimentary champagne & chocolates for Valentine's Day. I'll drink to that!
I'm certain we'll be back to visit ... and look forward to seeing the beautiful trees outside of the bedroom window once again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank EOSG
Sacramento,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2009

greetings..... many times one has something in mind and then reality is disappointingly
different. This is not the case in my experience with The Goodman House. I've been
there several times and always the service and quality matches my idea of an ideal B&B.
Chico has many charming ways to spend your time and the Goodman House is an ideal
home base.

wayne mcnally

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank waynemcnally
Glenside, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

I booked 3 nights here recently while visiting Chico to see my son. I had just come from another B & B outside of town which was so quiet, I literally heard nothing but chirping birds and the occasional far away train horn. So it was with dismay when I saw that Goodman House was located on the very busy Esplanade. I realize that it is an in town house, but was not expecting to hear traffic all day and night. Tom and Margo are very nice hosts and understood my feelings, but my card had already been run and I had no choice. After sharing wine and cheese with them and another guest, I stayed the night and slept okay. The room (#2) was smaller than expected and located in the front of the house (street side), but nicely appointed and comfortable. The bath was a little weird in that the tub was in the center of the small room and one had to walk around it to get to the sink.
The next morning, I was surprised when told that Margo and Tom had discussed my predicament and worked out an arrangement for me to go back to the other house and after a very delicious breakfast (albeit with a couple of unfriendly guests who couldn't be bothered to say good morning or even hello!), I was on my way. I greatly appreciated their willingness to accommodate my feelings. "We want you to be happy", said Margo. And I was! Thank you!
Had I not been to the other place, I would have been fine with the accommodations, but since I was looking for some peace and quiet, this was not the right place for me at this time. I would not discourage others from visiting here, however. It really is a pretty and painstakingly restored home with professional and friendly innkeepers.
Note: While this is located "in town", it is not a quick walk to downtown. I tried. Close to Bidwell Mansion, but one still has to drive or take the bus to get downtown.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo