“Great Location, Room, Breakfast”

Quality Inn, Near Chico State
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Chico
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, California
“Great Location, Room, Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at the Quality Inn Chico, also known as Thunderbird Motel for one night during a recent road trip and really enjoyed my stay.

The hotel is located in downtown Chico, walking distance from many restaurants, bars and from the university. Even though it is now called "Quality Inn", there is still a big "Thunderbird Motel" sign, which certainly gives it a bit historic americana feel; I hope it stays there. The hotel is built around a parking lot with downstairs rooms accessible directly from it. The second floor rooms are entered through an outdoor gallery.

When checking in I was given one of the few larger rooms. I had to sign a form saying that guests would be immediately evicted if found to have parties in their rooms. That's probably due to the regional specifics of a college town with a wild party culture. I did not have any problems with noise during my stay, though.

The room was top-notch: comfortable bed, desk, granite countertops, coffee machine with coffee and tea bags. There was no view since the window faced a blank wall, but I did not mind that. Free Wi-Fi worked pretty well.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the included breakfast. Unlike most "continental" breakfasts in the US, this one included eggs and cereals. There was a waffle-maker available as well. They only had decaffeinated tea available, unfortunately.

In conclusion, the level of comfort I've encountered was more likely to that of a 3-4 star hotel. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
manager715, Manager at Quality Inn, Near Chico State, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments about our motel.I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with usOur staff always takegreat pride in the motel & always strives to provide excellent service.
I am so sorry about the regular tea.next time we will make sure & put regular tea.
Thank you again & welook forward for your next reservation.

Mina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Upon arrival, the staff member was very friendly and checked us in expediently. The room was beautifully furnished and clean. The pool area and outside environment was also clean and the cleaning staff friendly. We'd absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to leave a review for our motel.We appreciate your feed back & time.I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your comments with my staff.since it is always a source of inspiration towards the guest satisfaction service.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

I was impressed with hotel and it started with the service. The front desk lady was nice and polite. When I got in to my room I was impressed with the beds and a nice tv. The room was a little small but still nice. The room was clean and quite. I can say when you wake up in the morning plan on going out for breakfast, because they offer only the basic cereal and bread. For what they charge I would think it could be a little better. Besides all that I would start there again. I was a nice stay.

• Stayed February 2012
manager715, Manager at Quality Inn, Near Chico State, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear guest,

We really appreciate your time .we always work hard to feel our guest " HOME AWAY FROM HOME"
Your comments always been inspiration to all our team including front desk,house keeping & maintenance.

sav260
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

After reviewing several day and reading several reviews about each hotel we chose this hotel. It was ironic that after twenty years almost the the month I was back in the hotel that I stayed at before we started football training at Chico State. But back then it was called the thunderbird inn and let me tell you it's like night and day. The rooms seemed to have been remodel not to long ago, the beds were comfortable. He had asked for a crib and they were able to give us one but we had asked if we could have a second floor room but they said that because of the crib we had to be on the first floor; I didn't get but I didn't want to make a big deal about it. Their breakfast was very simple not out of this world but it hit the spot. The other thing was that our rooms sink was not working it seemed clogged and it didn't seemed to get better but I didn't report it to the front which I should have done. My only other gripe would be not allowing smoking at the pool area. We enjoyed it a lot and as for people saying that they could hear the neighbor tv is because the AC is very loud and as you are trying to hear the TV you have to raise the volume then when the temprature is met the AC turns itself off then the TV sound is loud; so I was always moving up and down with the volume. I also the lo location right across the hotel on the side street I think it's 7th there is a ice cream shop were they make their own ice cream, yum. Also it's far away from the noise of the downtown crowd but close enough to do all the night life of Chico if that is your thing and having a breakfast lunch place right of the corner on the same block as the hotel gives it a step up from other hotels in the area.

• Stayed July 2012
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Since my first review a few years ago when the refurbished Thunderbird motel became a Quality Inn, I have stayed here several times. My last stay was about a year ago, and I will be returning again next October, (I have my reservation booked already!) The grounds, pool, and rooms are very clean, the desk and housekeeping staff are friendly, and they do their best to accommodate guests that request room location preferences. I am looking forward to my next stay, and have recommended this hotel to friends. Second floor rooms facing north (from room 212 towards the back of the hotel), tend to be a bit quieter than those nearer towards the front, mainly due to traffic noise on Main Street especially on weekends.

Room Tip: Request a room facing north on the second floor, a little further away from main street.