“Unfriendly”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Palm Springs, California
“Unfriendly”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Very unusual for me to experience "surly" desk clerks at a Marriott property but there were at least two out of three that were just that during my stay. I attempted to purchase some items in the snack shop and could tell I was a nuisance to the gal at the desk who did not want to be bothered by my questions. Their freezer wasn't working so I asked if they had any ice cream and all they had were small containers of Ben and Jerry's. When asked she quoted me a price of four dollars, but then when she looked it up on a computer it was six-something......no thanks. Don't quote me a price and then say oh no, it is much more! My room on the first floor had black mold growing behind the wallpaper next to the shower, and mold on other parts of the shower. My intention was to tell the checkout clerk about it but she was just as rude as the previous evening's clerk. Only good thing about this place is that they are defying Marriott's edict to not serve free coffee in their lobby. I applaud them on that but think they need to train the staff much better or perhaps get more competition in this town and then they may be forced to get their act together!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DesertRat011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I had an issue with my reservation. The manager Tyler handled the matter responding quickly and speaking to me professionally. I appreciate that a lot. I have to return in August for my daughter to begin college. I will definitely book my stay for this hotel!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank M V
Modesto, California
Reviewed June 15, 2013

basic rooms as you would expect at a Courtyard. But front desk personnel surprisingly surly and inept.
Booked my reservation directly with the hotel as opposed to standard website as we had specific needs this trip. After verbal assurances three weeks ago, followed up by confirmation two days ago, all was set. Showed up today and was told that they had no intention of honoring the requests. And the front desk personnel went out of their way to be nasty about their failure to honor their commitment - acknowledging their failure while saying that they couldn't understand why I'd be upset with the failure.
life is too short

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank carey c
Spokane
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Nice stay. We chose this location based on reviews and the fact this is a new hotel.

Very nice, same style as other Courtyard locations I've stayed at. Safe, comfortable and clean.

Restaurant was nice, as we didn't want to find another place to eat at.

Room Tip: Nice safe location with easy access
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank RandBSpokane
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is where I stay when I come to Chico. A very solid choice. One excellent decision this Courtyard has made is to continue to provide free coffee in the lobby unlike many other Courtyards. My colleague and I sat in the nice lobby, eat breakfast, drank coffee, and worked for several hours without anyone bothering us. We were the last people to leave the area and that was just fine with the front desk staff...One strange thing was the design of this particular room (311). The TV is fixed next to a wall and I could only see half the screen when I was in bed. Very unusual. Hope they fix that...Will be back on my next trip to Chico.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 311
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Tyler G, General Manager at Courtyard Chico, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback! We appreciate hearing from our guests. I am so glad you enjoyed our complimentary coffee and found the lobby to be a comfortable place to get some work done. We are always happy to have our guests make use of our beautiful lobby. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Courtyard in Chico and we hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Recently, my husband and I were traveling through Chico and planned to meet up with some relatives who were also traveling, and would be near Chico at the same time. We arrived at the Marriott first, so we decided to wait outside, in the car, until they arrived. About 25 minutes later, a young man (an employee) wearing a scowl on his face approached our car and said "excuse me..what are you doing here?" So I began explaining that our cousins would be here shortly and that we were just waiting..and he interrupted me and said "oh yeah? What are their names?" I told him their names and said "I'm not sure you would know them though...". He replied "well you guys have to leave, we're booked here." Needless to say, we were completely horrified with his attitude and the way he spoke to us. We were quietly waiting in our own car, and he was treating us like we were criminals, like we were causing problems or bothering people...it was completely inappropriate and rude. We will NEVER stay here and we're making sure everyone knows how badly they treat their potential guests. Terrible!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Mdugg
Tyler G, General Manager at Courtyard Chico, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
I am completely shocked to read about this experience. This is not something that has ever happened at this hotel and it is not behavior that I tolerate from my staff. Our number one priority is giving our guests (or potential guests) an experience that exceeds expectations. Would you mind contacting me so that I can find out who you spoke to?

I apologize that you had an experience like this and can assure you that it will not happen again. I would really appreciate it if you would call me at 530-894-6699 so that we can get to the bottom of this. Thank you so much.
Devon
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently stayed here for two weeks whilst on business from the UK, the key feature of this hotel is the staff, they never failed to impress, always helpful, friendly and smiling, often going beyond the call of duty!
Room was always clean and stocked, restaurant was reasonably priced and good quality, even had the local beer available.

Would highly recommend to any visitor to Chico

Room Tip: Avoid ice machine I would guess!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FrenchTony
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review! We really enjoyed having you stay with us and I am so happy that your stay was an enjoyable one. Thank you again!