“The Albatross Restaurant is Closed....Again”
Review of Albatross the Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Albatross the Restaurant
Chico, California
“The Albatross Restaurant is Closed....Again”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We are sorry to see the Albatross closed again. It has gone through a number of iterations over the years, but just can't seem to stay in business. When it is good, it is very, very good, but when it is bad.....

Visited March 2014

“Unfortunately it's gone”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

This was a local favorite, good food and atmosphere, unfortunately the new-er owners were not from the area and they didn't cater to the locals like the original owners did, and now it's closed. Sorry folks!!

Visited February 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The lights were turned off while we were finishing our meal.”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

After an uncomfortable wait at a nearby restaurant, my husband and I decided to bail and give the Albatross a try as it was just down the street. We were greeted and seated promptly. This place has an interesting atmosphere as it's located in an old house. The layout is a bit disjointed as it's divided into so many rooms. Because of this layout, it's difficult to carry on a conversation with your dining partner without having the diners at the other tables in your room unintentionally listen in on every word of your discussion. The room where we were seated was a bit of a sound cave so my husband and I were made privy to every utterance of the obnoxious (and intoxicated) couple seated behind us, and the rude couple in the corner.The décor is nautical themed and a bit dated. I could get easily dismiss these things if the food had been any better. Our server was warm, attentive, and polite. My husband and I were impressed with the wine selection, and received a generous pour. I ordered a bacon wrapped shrimp appetizer to share with my husband which turned out to be almost inedible. The bacon had the consistency of leather and the shrimp it surrounded were obviously overcooked. I rarely send something back while dining out but was tempted. My husband's 'ribeye' was a mess of fat and sinew. I ordered a steak over fettuccine with a butternut squash sauce. The best thing about my dish was the sauce, too bad the pasta was basically drowning in it. For desert we shared a slice of cheesecake which was decent. By desert time the restaurant had cleared out and we had the room where were seated to ourselves. At some point while we were completing our meal and enjoying the last of our wine, someone who didn't know we were there (and didn't bother to look) turned out the lights to the room where we seated. My husband turned the light back on, and a few minutes later we received our bill, paid, and left. We will not be returning.

• Visited February 2014
“Amazing Meal!!”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Tonight was my birthday dinner and it was such a gift! We went to the Albatross because we've been hearing rave reviews about their new chef of a month or two.
You know when a meal is all so tasty----just really excellent cooking through and through.
Everyone in our party was thrilled with their food. Also, the bacon-date appetizer is wonderful.
One of my very best birthday meals EVER!!!

• Visited December 2013
California
“wonderful meal and great service”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We have eaten at this restaurant many times over the years under the management changes. They always have great meals and this one was no different. The salad bar is always fresh with a few surprises to try. I had the rack of lamb which was superb. My husband and father-in-law had steaks cooked to perfection. My daughters ordered dessert which we all shared....wonderful! Thanks for the great meal and the exceptional service.

• Visited November 2013