“Mmmmmmm . . . Gyros!”

Harquer
“Mmmmmmm . . . Gyros!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Mmmmmmm . . . Gyros!
They're good here --- plenty of meat and fresh veggies to make an entire meal.
'Nuff said.

Visited September 2013

Red Bluff, California
“Good food”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Their food is great. I get their gyro plate and my vegetarian wife gets the Mediterranean platter or felafel gyro. Sometimes it takes a while to get the food, but that's understandable as there is usually only one person working.

• Visited January 2013
San Francisco, CA
“Tasty food at a good price”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've been going to this restaurant since I lived in Chico 12 years ago, and it never disappoints. In fact, every time I go to Chico, I have to stop in for a chicken gyro & side of dolmas. You can't go wrong!

Visited November 2012
Oroville, California
“Good food, but far from the streets of Thessaloniki”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The gyros were different then they were in Greece, and more expensive too. I ordered the beef and lamb gyro, because they don't have pork gyros, and the guy made it wrong. The meat wasn't crispy enough, it didn't have fries in it, like it's supposed to, and it was overstuffed with ingredients not found in a traditional Greek gyro. It was good, but didn't taste the same. They were better in Greece, and much cheaper too.
I also tried the spanakopita (spinach with feta). It was made a little differently then in Greece, but was really good, and so was the dipping sauce that came with it. Good appetizer, but again, overpriced. Finaly, I had the lamb kebab, which is supposed to be called "souvlaki". There we two sticks of it. It was good, cost $11, and came with salad, some rice, and two fried pita bread, which was average, so this was the only item where we got our money's worth.

The original Greek owner sold the restaraunt to a Turkish guy. He was nice, but didn't know much about traditional Greek cooking. Also, in Greece, my gyros were made right on the spot, and took no more then a minute. Here we had to wait 15.
Was certainly far from the food stands of Greece, and incredibly overpriced. We had already paid so much that I couldn't afford to buy fries, which the gyros are supposed to have, or desert. I only tried Greek food, and not Turkish, so I'll try the Turkish next time, and see if it's closer to traditional.
The music also wasn't loud enough, and it was only Arabic, not Greek.

I was also warned to avoid this place on Sundays, because the owner is the only one in the kitchen, and he serves dry gryo meat. I heard Friday evening is the best, as there is live belly dancing.
The restaraunt is Greek/Turkish, but the theme is more Turkish then Greek, but the menu is pretty even. Maybe a little more Greek. Decore was nice though, and the lighting was perfect, and the restaraunt had a really nice feel to it. Atmosphere was good. Not much activity though.

I would recommend it, but bring a lot of money, and don't expect authentic food. And if you're not familiar with the food, I'd recommend researching it before your visit, so you know what you're ordering.

• Visited April 2012
Chico, California
“horrible”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This place was horrible, me and my wife got two chicken gyros with some friends that came in from out of town. When we ordered the girl that was working was not friendly at all. When my wife ordered a felafel gyro the girl says....um.......that will take at least 15 minutes.....so my wife opted for the chicken. When our friends ordered, the girl would say let me check if we have that...not very friendly and i was thinking how can you not know if you have food to serve on a Saturday night. So our chicken gyros come out...15 minutes later, apparently they take 15 minutes also....why we weren't warned about those I don't know. They were horrible!! the chicken looked like it was black and had been scraped off the grill. It was so hard and dry that i couldn't eat it. It was disgusting! Oh and I will say that I could see this coming and should have trusted my gut, They like to use the microwave! I saw them put raw meat in the microwave and nuke it for who knows how long. I thought gyros were supposed to have fresh ingredients not microwaved burnt dry meat that is had and un chewable!!. I will never return to sultans!! I now have a stomach ache!!!

• Visited May 2012

Been to Sultan's Bistro? Share your experiences!