“Outstanding breakfast!”

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I went to Chico for a class. When I asked the instructor for a great breakfast joint, he said Mom's and one other place were the best in town. I went to Mom's and found it to be WAY above average for a place serving breakfast.

The ambiance was warm and cozy, which is a Really Good Thing on a cold December morn, but it also be appropriate at any other time of the year.

But it was not the ambiance that set Mom's apart from the ordinary, it was the food. This was NOT truck stop food. The offerings had a touch of class. I had a vegetarian hash (or something like that--I forget the actual name) which was truly delightful and quite original in my wanderings. Any time you find something original and tasty, you are dealing with a chef or meal planner that actually puts some thought into the cuisine. That is always a good sign.

The coffee was also above average. That is always a pleasant bonus, especially while traveling.

The very minor downers included (1) no Tabasco sauce (although there were a plethora other hot sauces to choose from), and (2) no bread with the meal. For me, bread is not only a necessary taste accompaniment for a meal, but a functional necessity as well. How else are you to push food bits onto the fork, or sop up the orts at the end of the meal? I did leave a note on the comment card about the lack of bread, so perhaps this will be taken care of in the future.

Anyway, the entire dining experience was FAR above average.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

So we heard that Mom's just began serving dinner. Three of us has the yellowtail and one had the fried chicken. It was really delicious! Sorry to say, but those of us that ate the yellowtail had digestive problems that night...if you know what I mean :( Maybe the fish just wasn't as fresh as it should have been. We'll probably be back to try their breakfast.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

First time at Mom's two weeks ago. We were a large group, 9 people on a Sunday morning. Staff was friendly and willing to substitute items. Food was great. Everybody at our table enjoyed their meal. We will all definitely be back! On the way to the restroom is a display of ladies/moms cologne bottles. I have to say I recognized a couple of them!.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Our son goes to Chico State and looks forward to parent visits for good food as well as seeing us. On this last trip, he asked to go to Mom's Restaurant for brunch.
The line out front the day before clued us in to this eatery's popularity. When we arrived for brunch, the line was less than the day before. We still had about 1/2 hour to wait. The restaurant is very homey inside and the wait was pleasant.
The menu was full of every breakfast indulgence you could think of as well as several healthy choices. Our son got the full meal of the Farmer's breakfast. Potatoes, meat, eggs and bread along with a fruit garnish filled him up. My husband got chocolate chip pancakes. I had the fruit cup and cleaned up the guys' plates after they were done.
Service was excellent. There is a wait for the food with the crowds and fresh home cooking but there is plenty to look at. The restaurant is filled with antique posters and artifacts including a post box that delivers letters directly to Santa.
Our meal was delicious and just like home cooking, as long as you were lucky to grow up in a home with a great cook and a pantry filled with a large variety of fresh organic food!
We ordered a gift card to include with our son's birthday present, assuring him another great meal later this year.

1  Thank nkwins
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I am dropping my daughter off to Chico State and wanted a late breakfast. I've been trying corned beef hash all over for 30 years. This is in my top three, not too spicy. Fresh and tasty. Fresh squeezed oj too. Had perfect poached eggs with it.

1  Thank YoPopDog

Been to Mom's? Share your experiences!