“Service is very nice, even when busy”
Review of Cafe Coda

Cafe Coda
Ranked #47 of 330 Restaurants in Chico
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Very packed when there is a performance, especially because it's a small venue, but the service is great. Very nice people.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Had a fantastic second visit to Cafe Coda in Chico, California. We were lucky to be there on a first Monday Jazz night and enjoyed the local jazz performers. Last night we happened to be there for a local Jazz Showcase which featured several jazz groups. What an outstanding event. The crowd was so enthusiastic and the atmosphere was perfect for jazz fans. The food was excellent. We had a large group so I got to see the chicken ceasar wrap, chicken tacos, black bean nachos, and flat bread pizzas first-hand. The food was very reasonable too. Everyone loved their food and the Robert Palmer (special tea/lemonade mix) drinks. They had a wide variety of beers and wine, perfect for the evening's entertainment.

The night was more about the jazz than the food so you had to place orders at the counter. I have enjoyed their outstanding breakfasts too, they are more of a breakfast/lunch place and only open in the evenings for the jazz performances.

For a charming bit of Chico and a step away from awful chain restaurants, Cafe Coda is the place to be!

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I love the Athens breakfast. Ingredients in the dish are bursting with flavor and the flatbread is tasty too! Hubby loves the A-Train. One tip for management, the wait staff is nice- when they get around to you. They tend to belly up to the bar area with their backs to customers and talk to each other. This has happened several times. I am a fan of the food and brought company twice, just to be left waiting to order or get drink refills and even to pay; if this happens a third time, I am done.

2  Thank Nichole N
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great food and love the coffee! Very popular for Sunday brunch so get there early, but the wait usually isn't too bad.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Cafe Coda is a business that has a special place in my heart as a former (albeit brief) resident of Chico. No advertising needed for locals, they already know how great the food and atmosphere are. Speaking of the food, I find the cooks here cook with feeling and passion, it's evident in the breakfast and lunch dishes as well as the specials. Occasionally you may get a lacklustre rendition of your favourite dish but mostly the fare is consistently excellent.

The service is low-key, attentive yet friendly. Ellen is a particularly skilled server and a joy to encounter. In terms of the coffee (ultimately the most important part of a well balanced breakfast IMO) - go for the French press, it is delicious and outshines the espresso on offer. (I'm yet to discover any decent espresso coffee in the entire US, so it could just be my taste.)

The breakfast choices can make your mornings very difficult indeed. I usually gave in to my craving for the coda benedict but every now and then would switch it up with the breakfast wrap, pesto or athens. All delicious and generously sized.

Coda is also well known for its status as a regular music venue. The music theme appears in the name, the names of certain dishes and of course the stage/recording studio set up and rearranged. I think this is wonderful and makes Cafe Coda a particularly vibrant place with an important purpose for the Chico music scene. I've seen some great shows here of all genres. They treat musicians well and provide a great audience experience.

I hope to visit Coda again one of these days if life ever leads me back to Chico.