“Ecomoically sound deal”
Review of Safari Inn

Safari Inn
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I was passing trough Chico heading up to Oregon and I heard about Safari Inn at the gas station . When I reached the hotel which is very close to Arco I was greeted by the general manager who was very friendly and gave me a very good deal on the room. Inside the room I had a comfortable bed to sleep on and a television that worked. This room was very clean. I enjoyed my stay. Hte management was very nice and the rooms were exceptionally clean. THe price was great very afforable below adertised price

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank heavymetal_man66
There are newer reviews for Safari Inn

Reviewed March 23, 2009

Only a matter of time. I have been staying in Motels in this part of town for decades. Have watched this one deteriorate for years as well. I certainly have no prob with the new Indian family that own it. Put in wifi, and seem nice enough. Have always wondered how they made it there tho, since I have never seen the place full and usually, a ghost town.

Still, a creature of habit, I dropped in there yesterday afternoon. Dead empty. "How much for as room tonight for one?". $50!. The highest I ever paid there.. and for a Sun night? In this economy? For the first time, I went back to town and dropped into a chain, which I hate. $50 too, but what a diff..... It is one thing when you dev a relationship with a mom and pop shop. But when they are conspicuously ripping you off? This place is done. Move on.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2008

Worst place I have stayed in a while...I know why it was the only motel availble to stay at as the a/c barely worked the beds were terrible and the linens were there when settlers first came to California.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bobcombs
Reviewed August 24, 2008

What gracious owners! We arrived late at night, and they upgraded us to a better room without cost, without us even asking. Then they checked with us to be sure it met our needs Everyone was very pleasant, the room clean and comfortable. The owners and their son helped us map our way to cool places to visit in Chico. Our son is in college in Chico and we look forward to staying at the Safari Inn when next we visit!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ValderieValdera
Reviewed May 5, 2008

The Safari has had a bad rep. due to past owners who haven't kept up the property or provided good service. The Indian family who runs the Safari now was very helpful. Friends who had given up on the Safari were surprised to see the positive changes. Rooms were clean, bathroom was fine. Carpet looked new. Furniture is so out of style it is almost back in-style. But everything was very neat. Rooms are quiet. Other friends were happily ensconced beside the pool when we arrived. For 55 bucks, this place did the job!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovesatrip13
Reviewed April 15, 2008

We chose the Safari Inn in Chico because it is relatively close to downtown and we needed something cheap. The money would have been better spent at a Motel 6 or something similar. Dealing with the proprietor was fine but as we approached our unit, it was quite obvious that several "guests" were actually residents of the hotel. There were also several young men walking through the parking lot who had all the appearance of gang bangers and upon returning to the hotel in the late evening there was a prostitute loitering near the entrance of the property.

The property itself was nice enough. A little run down but about the same as all economy hotels. The property is mixed into a series of other small economy hotels/motels on one of Chico's main streets. But the area is economically depressed and there is a trailer park immediately next door.

The room was fine but we would not stay in this hotel again.

Reviewed April 8, 2008

We arrived at the Safari Motel around 2:00 p.m. on a Saturday. Checking in was quick and uneventful. We got a room in the back of the facility, upstairs. My first impression of the room when I opened the door was a slight mustiness, and thin, worn carpets. The bathroom was somewhat clean, although dirt in the corners was visible. When I closed the front door, I could see alot of light coming in between the door jamb and the door, and the door rattled slightly, even when the deadbolt was in place, when you pulled at the doorknob. At 12:30 am Sunday morning, I awoke to hear someone rattling the door, attempting to open it. I got out of bed, listened for a moment, then slammed the door with my hand. I looked out the window but whoever was monkeying around had left. I got back into bed, and the phone began to ring. I answered it, a strange voice asked, "Who is this?" I figured it a crank call, cursed, and hung up. Didn't get back to sleep for hours. Next morning, I explained our experience to the desk clerk.

Apparently, Safari management had failed to note our room as occupied, and had assigned it to a second party, who attempted access to our room. The subsequent 12:40 am phone call had been placed by the front desk, yet they failed to notify me as to who they were at the time. My wife requested a discount due to their inconveniencing us, and the fellow at the desk said "Next time." There won't be a next time. Trust me.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple