“Large portions, nice selections, good food”

Morning Thunder Cafe
Ranked #19 of 315 Restaurants in Chico
Cuisines: American
Santa Barbara, CA
“Large portions, nice selections, good food”
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Pretty good overall. To an out of towner, the prices seemed very reasonable for the amount and quality of the food. Half order was plenty for me but only $1.30 less, so better to take the rest home if you are local. Ingredients seemed fresh and there were a lot of choices on the menu. There were flies on the patio but we moved inside. Staff efficient and pleasant.

• Visited July 2014

Santa Rosa
“Huge Portions - Food Good”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stopped here for Breakfast/Lunch on our way up north after reading all the great reviews.
The portions were quite large, food was good but not great. It was a mixed bag. I ordered breakfast and my hubby ordered lunch.

I had Huevos Rancheros 1/2 order. I received a rather large plate piled high layered with a greasy tortilla, vegetarian refried beans, rice scattered over the beans (both tasted like they came from a can) and egg, more beans and rice -- green onions - green part only and cut way too big, salsa, cheese, sliced olives -- I definitely wouldn't order this again. With that said, the woman next to me had their special which was a flour tortilla filled with cheese, salsa, scrambled eggs which she said was delicious.

My husband ordered the Club house sandwich and it came with a salad. It was really good. Although I noticed in the kitchen that the bacon was precooked earlier -- The salad was ok a bit on the limp side.

Service was just okay. Not great and no one came by and asked how our food was nor did I get a refill on my ice tea. .

• Visited June 2014
Nederland, Colorado
“A good honest Clean New Age kind of Breakfast.”
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

The thing that stands out for me is the coffee. It was very good. As for the rest , the food is Healthy , Clean , tasty , nutritious , and well prepared. The service is quite good and the atmosphere is nice. It is also a good place to go if you are with a larger group of people . They will get you served and purring pretty quickly. A good place to go for breakfast with the family or with friends. Not so much the place to go if you want to kick back with your paper and some coffee. Is is a good place.

Visited September 2013
Chico, CA
“Best Breakfast in Chico”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is the quintessential Chico breakfast spot if you're looking for a full breakfast. Casual, laid back vibe, food is consistently good and fresh. Get the French Roast coffee. Portions are huge - plan on leftovers or share a plate. But the best part of Morning Thunder is the people. Staff is very friendly and accommodating, and the clientele is a diverse. Good spot for people watching and if you've spent much time in a Chico you're bound to run into familiar faces. It can get crowded, but the wait is seldom long and you can hang out and read the paper in the chairs out front. Or go early - you seldom have to wait before 8 am. There's also plenty of free parking, but why not ride your bike, get a paper and have a relaxed morning? Just a classic Chico place.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank angm11
Cody
“Best Breakfast in Chico”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Of course I did not visit every restaurant in Chico to decide this was the best in town, but I did ask two instructors at my meeting about places to eat breakfast in Chico. The both named two, and I went to both. They were both above average, but Morning Thunder wins out by a nose.

The food was exquisite. I had something I believe was called a California Omelet. The taste of course was far above average, but it was the exceptional preparation that set this meal apart from the norm. The omelet contained cream cheese and sprouts, both of which can be problematic in a dish. But not at Morning Thunder. The omelet was able to be cut with a fork without spilling sprouts out the sides of the meal onto the plate. The cream cheese was expertly engineered (best term I can come up with) to provide taste and pliability without a mess. I was impressed with the way the meal just worked.

And then there was the coffee. It had a coffee shop flavor and a restaurant (not coffee shop) price. There was even a choice of type: regular or French. I chose the French roast and I was not disappointed. It was the darker, more flavorful choice.

Even the bread here was extraordinary. Not simple toast, but it was either a garlic bread or it had a garlic butter spread on top.

The servers seemed exceptionally well-trained. They even had a dedicated beverage refresher that roamed the restaurant refilling drinks.

This place went way beyond the norm in every aspect of the meal. The only very slight downer was the ambience. It was chrome and plastic, very reminiscent of the 50's style found along Route 66. It is not a warm and fuzzy feeling, but due to the friendliness of the servers, it was not unpleasant either.

If my travels bring me back to Chico, I will definitely come back to Morning Thunder.

• Visited December 2013