“Homeless Shelter”

Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Bakersfield, California
“Homeless Shelter”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Booked the reservation through Expedia because hotels were in short supply and the Vagabond was near the university. Photos looked ok online and it is a national chain. WOW...what a dump! It has turned into a residential hotel. The breakfast was a pot of bad coffee, there was noise all night long, and the parking lot was a zoo. Clerk was too busy smoking to check us in. The manager was a complete b----. We moved to a small quiet hotel outside of town. What a relief!

Room Tip: Sleep in your car.
Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rungreencoyote

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sonoma, Ca.
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed one night at this motel. The cost was $295/night because it was graduation weekend, which is also why we were there. The receptionist was very sweet, but that was it. The room supposedly was non-smoking; it reeked of cigarette smoke and the bed spread had burn holes in them. The floors were dirty, obviously not vacumed. There was no way we could haved changed rooms since the whole town was booked way in advance. I could have accepted the high cost if at least it was clean and not smelly. Do not recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Chico hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I regret don't take a looak at these reviews before I made my reservation. I needed to spend a night in a place close to CSU Chico. I didn't expect too much for the price but I never thought that the rudeness was the price that I have to pay for a cheap hotel. I don't know the name of the lady clerk, maybe in her late 40s, awful costumer service, she doesn't belong to the hospitality business, poor thing, it seems like she is very frustated with her job,

Room Tip: STAY AWAY of this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I stayed during the month of January for 2 nights. The exterior of the building put me off a little bit, but when I got into the front office the clerk was very nice and presentable to boot. The room that I checked into was not overly fancy but it was clean. The maid service was prompt during my stay over and breakfast was decent. All in all for the price I paid I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank USAtraveler1309
Redding, California
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I always try and find something good to say, so the room was clean. Other than that yikes!!!
I am the first one to say don't expect much from discount hotels but we all still expect some comfort and honesty in advertising. Rock hard beds and carpets that smell like smoke (In a non-smoking room). The body towels were barely bigger than hand towels. Continental breakfast consisted of a few packets of oatmeal and instant coffee. I usually don't expect a special breakfast but this was ridiculous and I consider false advertising.
I rated it poor just because the room was clean.

Room Tip: Keep driving to another hotel. Lots of outdoor stuff in Chico so I rated the fitness center as excel...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Since I come from a densely urban area, the noise factor did not bother me too much. I wear ear plugs and bring my own sheets and quilt at any motel I go. The room was cleaner than reviews here belie. And walking distance from Downtown and Bidwell park, etc. is a major plus. However, because the rooms under me were smoking rooms, using the heater caused my room to fill with smoke residual. Someone has large dogs on the first floor that are never let out and they bark hysterically at any passer by. Suffice it to say, even on a weeknight there were sketchy characters and rooms jammed full of people. The room key repeatedly did not work, so I got in my stair master work outs to have it repeatedly recalibrated. The "live ins" stared out the window in Charles Manson fashion, or repeatedly approached me until the last day I asked him to leave me alone and he started screaming at me. The staff is slow, rude, and uninformative. Jaded. The morning desk clerk even burped in front of me and then took up my time to explain to me how she had the hiccups. Because I paid cash, she had to examine my room before she gave me back my $50 deposit and she moved really slow walking back from the room, as she observed me outside the office avoiding the crazy "live in". Young and not so very overweight, there's no excuse for this. And that's what $55 gets you in Chico.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank girlanddog
magalia ca
Reviewed December 4, 2011

this is the nastyiest place i have ever stayed did not even make it thru the night first room had dirty towels still in it no ice machine lady at the counter was very rude dogs barking in room down stairs moved us to another room smelled like homeles people urinated inn it on the way back to office to get a refund people living inn next room were making oxycotton deal wrght in the open if you want scabies rabies or nasty used condom babies i would not go there

Room Tip: went across the street to days inn payed twenty dollars more for a great room and a hot breakfast
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple