“Better than expected” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Leon Bistro

Leon Bistro
Ranked #6 of 311 Restaurants in Chico
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Description: One of Chico's finest dinner restaurants.Open for dinner Wed. through Sat. at 5 pm.
Chico, CA
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2010

The ambience is modern, staff is friendly, food quite good and creative for Chico. Had the stuffed pork porterhouse. I don't eat much pork but this was delicious. The wine list is not extensive but has a fairly interesting selection of moderately prices wines. On the night we were there recently, a couple at a nearby table complained a bit loudly, but I think sometimes we get what we bring to the table. It's not your old time, everything-comes-with-a-salad-included restaurant, which is reality for 2010. If you're okay spending a few bucks, it's definitely worth being in the mix of date-night restaurants in Chico.

Northern California
“Pretentious doesn't fly in Chico.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2009

They have very irregular hours, so unless you live in walking distance I wouldn't bother. Food was ok, and I liked the interior. San Francisco prices with Central Valley quality (good and bad). As someone else pointed out they can be kind of stuck up about fashion, so make sure you dress up. Personally, given the price and need to dress up I'd rather go to 5th Street Steakhouse which has a more welcoming atmosphere and a more interesting interior, and higher quality ingredients. In Leon Bistro's defense they do offer much more interesting cuisine than other local options, but they have to iron out the kinks before people are really going to enjoy it. Once the owner realizes that all the business the place has had since it opened is due to its being new, and not necessarily offering a good service, I hope things will improve. I'd say wait another month to see if they straighten up their act before you give them a try.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank NorCalBum
I've Been Everywhere, Man
“make sure you fit the profile of an acceptable customer”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2009

well, i'd really like to be able to bad mouth the food at this place, but i can't because we never got far enough to actually eat anything. my wife and i showed up on a week night, there were 2 people at the bar, and 2 tables with people, other than that there wasn't a soul there. my wife and i were dressed nice, though i guess being tattooed was against their dress code, as soon as the hostess saw us she stared like we were a freakshow and then stammered out a "do you want a table ?" yes please, just the two of us, to which she replied "hold on" and disappeared toward the back for about 3 minutes just to come back and say " we have a 45 minute wait....so.....it's at least 45 minutes before you can sit down". i took another look at the deserted dining room, dodged an oncoming tumbleweed said "no thanks" and my wife and i went on our way. though we are tattooed, we are both clean, well dressed, well groomed professional people and found our brief attempt at leon pathetic and.....well, i guess it doesn't get much worse than pathetic. i didn't plan on wasting my time to write a review on this dump until i saw it had slithered it's way up the top restaurants lit. what a joke !

6 Thank Pork-Chop-Express
Chico
“Great place for foodies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

Wonderful atmosphere. Felt relaxed and liked the upscale environment. Our server was very personable. She was not only able to recite all of the specials, but also had a very good knowledge of each dish.
The presentation was amazing. I watched a couple at another table actually take a picture of their food with a camera phone. Every bite was wonderful. The fresh, local produce was cooked just right. My steak and lamb were temped just as I had asked.
All in all, we can't wait to come back and try something else on the menu.

Los Angeles
“Fabulous dishes using local produce...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

A respite from the usual.

Really enjoyed the salads... lots of local fresh, local produce and a delicate balance of complimentary flavors. Just great!

The appetizers were also appealing but I was not able to try them.

The entrees were a bit over the top. Too many layers of flavor. Too much fat and too many calories. Fine French or Italian cuisine with American portions! What can I say.

Nice upscale wine list

Go there... try it... don't eat it all!

1 Thank 1eyeopen

Been to Leon Bistro? Share your experiences!