“We love the Bidwell House!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chester
The Bidwell House B&B Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Chester B&B and Inns
Sacramento, California
“We love the Bidwell House!”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

What a fabulous B&B! We've been visiting the Bidwell House every year for several years now, and have always had a memorable experience. The themed rooms are fun and very clean, the garden is peaceful, and the breakfasts are always tasty and well presented. Eva and Filip are wonderful hosts as are their kitchen staff. The location is easily accessible, and there is shopping across the street. Lake Almanor and Bailey Creek golf course are within a 10 minute drive. I'd recommend a stay at the Bidwell House and hiking or golf for a fun weekend getaway, or mid-week retreat.

Room Tip: All rooms have a theme. Robins Roost and Meadow View both overlook the garden. Very nice. Annie'...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Antelope, California
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I have family in Chester and Lake Almanor. The family tree roots are deep. We have stayed with relatives and at other hotels/lodges/rental homes over the years and decided to try the Bidwell House because we did not have the rest of the family along. We loved it. It was a wonderful way to see family yet have some independence and we got a little spoiled. We are going back soon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We had a great anniversary here. The staff was friendly, helpful and great! The breakfast was fabulous and presented beautifully! We will come back again soon!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Poland, Ohio
Reviewed July 25, 2011

On the good side, the Bidwell House is within driving distance to Lassen Volcanic National Park, Lava Beds Nat'l Monument, and Burney Falls. The staff was friendly.

I reserved a four-night stay here on the basis of other TripAdvisor recommendations, but must admit to being disappointed. If the "hospitable" hosts had been around, I must have missed them. Wait, I did see Eva once — she was on the phone.

In my reservation, I had asked for feather-free pillows, but was instead greeted by a feather comforter and feather pillows. My fault, I guess, for not checking when I checked in. But after my check-in, no one was around to ask.

In taking one of the small rooms that shared a bathroom, I had expected that at least the bathroom would be kept clean — especially since there was nothing in the bathroom that would permit me to clean out the tub or shower myself. But it was not until a following day, when I complained that the other folks sharing the bathroom had left towels all over the floor and clothing over the tub, that attention was paid to the mess.

The little signs asking you to re-use towels and conserve water were there, sure enough. But what wasn't there were any places to hang your towels — either in the bathroom or bedroom — to dry them out for future use.

After finding that my room had not been made up the first day I was there, I assumed that this was one of those places where if you wanted the bed to be made, you did it yourself. But on subsequent days, the room was taken care of, so perhaps what I experienced was an oversight. (Still, not what I would expect from a highly rated B&B.

The website describes "Three course gourmet breakfast served in the historic dining room by the fireplace." But the breakfasts on three out of four days, were the same — with something different on the yogurt (the first course) each morning: fruit, granola, raisin bran. The so-called French omelets (second course), were actually pre-mixed eggs (poured from a carton) fried flat on a grill and rolled up with the addition of a cheese slice, spinach or broccoli and bacon bits — and a dollop of sour cream (or cream cheese) with chives sprinkled on top. The "third course" was fruit on one occasion, on two occasions a baked cherry pastry, and the fourth a cream-cheese raspberry pastry. The fourth breakfast (on my second morning) was white bread French toast, with syrup.

Had I not eaten splendid breakfasts in other B&Bs where I stayed for several nights, I might not be so fussy, and if I were there for only two nights — hitting the French toast and one omelet — I might be less critical. Still, given all the possible recipes available for breakfast dishes, to have such minimal variety is not the hallmark of a good B&B.

The B&B's website boasts "To help you greet the day, organic coffee or special tea will be served in the privacy of your room. " I was told where I could make coffee or tea myself and never given an option to have it served in my room.

The website also says, "Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, freshly baked cookies and fresh fruit available during day." I never saw any cookies (though on one day a few left-over breakfast pastries were available) and the fresh fruit must have been the three green apples in a bowl.

Fortunately, for me, I had come to far Northern California for the sights, not the B&B. If it had been the latter, I would have been very unhappy.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a room with its own bathroom. Don't expect too much.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank TriciiTravel
Bidwell_House, Owner at The Bidwell House B&B Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
We are very sorry about bad experience of the guest. The Bidwell House B&B Inn offers 14 rooms, and only two of them are sharing bathroom. The rooms sharing bathroom are considerably smaller and located upstairs in the historic park of the house, and are offered as a nice choice for travelers on budget who can still enjoy all the amenities of the Inn.
The shared bathroom is completely cleaned daily but since it is shared by two rooms, we cannot guarantee perfect cleanliness 24 hours a day. Since the guest complains in her review on the “mess” left by the other guests, maybe the room with shared bathroom wasn’t the right choice for her and she might have enjoyed her stay more by choosing different room.
To address some factual errors: there is a towel bar in the bathroom and also towel rack in the bedroom to hang the towels. There are always fresh cookies available in the cookie jar on the front desk - we point it out to every guest during the tour through the house at the time of check-in. Options to help yourself to coffee, tea, sodas, beer, wine and sherry are available 24/7; and we serve trays with morning coffee/tea in room on request. We keep bowl of fresh fruit in the sunroom for guest to help themselves during the day, offering usually two kinds of apples, bananas and grapes.
Regarding breakfast – we serve 3 course breakfast every morning – we start with yoghurt with cereals and honey, for main entrée we did serve french omelet with sausage, spinach and cheese on the first day, blueberry walnut pancakes with warm berry sauce on the second day, scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese and spinach pesto served on a garlic toast the third day, and on the last day cinnamon french toast with our own freshly picked strawberries and mint from our garden. Our last course is usually freshly baked pastry or fruit salads. Every day we have just one choice but we are flexible and can accommodate any dietary restriction, food allergies or personal preferences. If the guest does not like the choice for the day we are always happy to fix something different for them. We are using pasteurized egg mix for egg dishes during the summer. Since it's quite warm here we choose it as a safe choice for breakfast. But of course we have regular eggs available for guests allergic to dairy products or requesting egg-whites only.
Both my wife and I recall talking to this guest on numerous occasions during her stay, so we are both perplexed why none of her concerns were brought up during that time; and why the review says she never saw us. We also have staff around from 7AM till 6PM, and phone number is provided to our guests for both the land line and our cell phone to address any concerns 24/7.
Thank you for taking time to write a review. We really appreciate it and it helps to improve our service.
Eva & Filip Laboda
Innkeepers
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed at the Bidwell House Inn as part of a Pacific Northwest tour of National Parks en route from Seattle to San Francisco. We read the reviews in TripAdvisor and booked on the strength of these, and were looking forward to our stay.

The Good: breakfast was great, as was the availability of cookies and sherry. Access to games, books and free wi-fi were a bonus, and the grounds were very pretty.

Needs Improvement: As there were 3 of us, we booked and stayed in the cottage. This is looking a bit tired and in need of renovation. The bathroom in particular needs work: the sink was coming away from the wall; the sealant around the shower/tub was amateurishly applied and coming away, and there was mould on the ceiling. The powerful smell of disinfectant also detracted from the ambiance.

Overall Summary: the Bidwell House *could* be good, but I really felt this was expensive for what it was - on this trip, we have stayed in 4 star hotels in both Seattle and San Francisco that are cheaper and better value. In the case of our room, the accommodations are in need of renovation.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank NETraveler2011
The guests stayed in The Stover-McKenzie cottage – our only accommodation for families with kids. Unfortunately, because of that the furnishings in the cottage tend to get worn out more quickly than in the rooms in the house. We are currently finishing renovation of all bathrooms in the Inn and the bathroom in the cottage is our next project.
Our big concern would be the mold on the ceiling - we went to check the bathroom but could not find any traces of mold anywhere.
Eva & Filip Laboda
Innkeepers
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My family and I just ended our second stay here, and enjoyed it very much. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable, and the overall facility is lovely and relaxing. Breakfast is included each day; it's filling though the one improvement I'd like is better egg dishes. The owners, Eva and Filip, are extremely hospitable. The place has very good wifi service. The owners also run the Red Onion Grill in Chester, which has very good food.

Room Tip: The Bidwell Suite is very roomy (two bedrooms) but you can hear noise from Main Street.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JerryR10
Tracy, California
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed for three nights. The room we chose, the Hummingbird room, was very comfortable, clean and nicely decorated. Guests have access to the kitchen in the main house where coffee, tea, etc can be made anytime. A wonderful 3-course gourmet style breakfast is included in the nightly rate, served in the main dining room. Fresh-baked cookies are put out each afternoon - a great treat after spending the day exploring Lassen National Park and Lake Almanor. Everything is well maintained , the innkeepers Eva and Filip are very gracious and the staff is very helpful. There is a large refrigerator for guests to use, a computer in the Sun room common area, tons of DVDs to borrow, board games, books, puzzles, etc. Free wifi access is available as well.

Room Tip: Check website for which rooms have private baths
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pat_C316

Been to The Bidwell House B&B Inn? Share your experiences!