“Quite enjoyable”
Review of Antlers Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chester
Antlers Motel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Chester
“Quite enjoyable”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed with a group for few days and enjoyed it. Room was large and very clean. Towels big and fluffy . Bed was big and very comfortable for us.
Restaurants .extent door and down the street were quite good.
Offire often closed and hard to reach but helpful
Area fires and motor cycles didn't
bother us

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Denver
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This low budget, spotlessly clean motel offers large rooms with lots of space for storing your belongings. Our over sized room had a bigger than normal mini fridge, a double sink on the outside of the huge bathroom, a desk, easy chair, and three (yes three) dressers! So if you are planning on staying for a while, this would be the place to go. Decor is quite nice, with cute touches, however construction seems to be on the cheap side. Other reviewers complained of noise. We did not have that problem in our downstairs room. The office was closed more often than it was opened, however when it was open, the front desk staff was knowledgeable and quite helpful.

Things to know before you go:
There is wired internet but no wifi, so if you only have an iPad, you are out of luck. However, there is wifi available for use in the office. If you need to dry your hair, you are also out of luck as the room does not come with a hair dryer. The shampoo packet is tiny. There is no conditioner. There is no elevator.

For a low budget motel, Antlers is a little gem smack in the middle of a cute little town. If you are looking for something more on the woodsy side, then I would recommend checking out some of the properties along the Lake Almanor waterfront.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank morris3445
Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed here with a small group of motorcycling friends.We needed a place south of Lassen Park and this location was really perfect. The hotel owner was very friendly and accomodating. My husband and I had the very end room on the bottom floor. The room was large and VERY clean. I don't know if it was the cutest thing in Chester because I have nothing to compare it too but it was cute enough for us. A woodsy decor with nice little touches like animals on the shower hooks.The TV screen made us laugh. It's the tiniest I've even seen in a motel and really a little ridiculous, but it worked! I hope management plans to upgrade these a little at a time. Our computer monitor at home is much larger. But we didn't come there for TV just a place to rest our heads before we headed through the park.
We ate dinner at the restaurant right next door. Interesting menu and tasty food. There is a store directly across the street and a Kopper kettle restaurant next to it. We had breakfast there. Next to that is a gas station so everything is very convenient to the motel.
Management gave us rags and allowed us to wash our bikes in the parking lot. Extra points for being motorcycle friendly! Lots of bikes arrived as the day went on. Plenty of chairs stacked outside so friends could gather in the shade.
It was a good stay in a very clean, moderately priced motel that had all the amenities we needed for one night. We would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Toulouse, France
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We had booked this "Cutest thing in Chester" as their add says, as a base for our trip to Mt. Lassen. I was hoping a a fun small town 4th of July celebration. What we got was a rody mix of party revelers in different parts of the town, plus just below us at the motel! They decided to put their BBQ right outside their room and party in the parking lot! The assistant manager was aware of the situation, but did not tell them to leave. Although the later evening of the 3rd was somewhat quiet, we didn't want to stay for the night of the 4th where the revelers of this hick town seem to go wild!
Now.... I must say that the motel IS nice..; and very spacous and clean; but I would stay here in the off season when this town goes back to sleep!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the second floor!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Roseville, California
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The whole town is quiet, so you certainly can say the hotel is in a quiet location. It is also right across the road from a great diner (The Kopper Kettle Café) and the best grocery store in town. The building structure seems to transmit the sound of footsteps a little too well. Chester is also quite near the Warner Valley portion of Lassen Volcanic National Park (the parks best kept secret). If you're looking for higher quality restaurants, there is a more hip selection just down the road in the Lake Alminor peninsula.

This may be a small town thing, but the office rarely had anyone in it. It was always unlocked and there is a drop box to leave your keycard in at checkout (also unlocked).

The room was immaculately clean and the building was new. It does seems that there were some cost cutting in the construction. For instance, there are no windows on the back side of the unit for no good reason (except maybe fire code).

The HVAC unit is an in-wall variety. The sound is very smooth and if you like white noise it might be better than nothing at all. Really easy to use as well.

The bathroom was insanely huge, for no good reason. I'm sure that extra space could have been used to make the sink outside the bathroom bigger.

The TVs are indeed 13 inches, but you're on vacation. Instead sit on the porch, sip some wine and listen to the birds and look at the stars. They do have satellite TV if you really need to watch something.

Free Wi-Fi would be great, but there seems to be a problem with it (range and it actually working). Wired connection in the room works great though. Don't count on 3G cellular data. The town has Verizon 3G coverage, but it seems to be very slow (like the uplink to the rest of the Internet is clogged).

The room I was in had two queen size beds. This was the only real show stopper to the room. The bed was so hard that I had to keep flipping over throughout the night when the pain became unbearable. I actually woke up physically exhausted and sore.

If I returned to the area I would look into staying in a vacation home in the Lake Alminor peninsula area.

Room Tip: Bring a wireless router from home. You can plug it into the wired connection in your room and get a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank James R
Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was a bit disappointed in Antlers after reading all the rave reviews and I am not hooked on some of its bare-bones facilities.

It truly was a fairly attractive property and the check-in staff was friendly and helpful, especially when I reserved the room a week prior. In my upstairs unit, there were luxurious towels and plenty of hot water, however there was no shower mat and to avoid slipping I had to throw a towel in the tub. The bed and mattress were decent.

Due to the thin walls, very thin carpet and overall creaky woodwork, all noises were heard from neighboring rooms, especially slamming doors and bathroom activity. The noisy room refrigerator gurgled and made other annoying racket off-and-on all night. The TV was probably the smallest I have ever seen in a motel, similar to a laptop computer. The Wi-Fi did not work so well because I was far back from the office.

Bottom line: Antlers is OK for one night, especially if you are very tired and not too picky or fussy but it needs an upgrade. Next time for me, I'll go on to Susanville or try another motel in Chester.

Room Tip: Upstairs seemed quieter than the ground level rooms. If you want extensive use of wi-fi, ask to be...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank MonkeyOnTheWing
Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Just had a great weekend in Chester at the Antlers Motel. What a fun place to stay! The people that run it are wonderful. The teenaged son who checked us in was very professional and polite. A nice change from some of the bored employees I've encountered at other hotels. The rooms were super clean. Very, very clean. The beds were very comfortable and pleasantly decorated. I have read in other reviews that there are no hair dryers in the rooms and someone else complained about shampoo. We bring our own shampoo with us and never count on hotels so I didn't even pay attention to that. I don't use a hair dryer so I didn't even notice. The tvs are smallish but we didn't care and used the internet to watch what we wanted on our laptop at night anyway. This is such a convenient location and very easy to find. We had lunch next door at the Knotbumper which is almost exclusively sandwiches and they were delicious. I highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Zephyr11_11

Been to Antlers Motel? Share your experiences!