“Service is lacking, average room”

Sheraton Cerritos Hotel at Towne Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cerritos
Los Angeles, CA
“Service is lacking, average room”
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I stayed here on my wedding night, so I can't say I remember much about the room because both my husband and I were too exhausted to get a good look. However what I distinctly remember and was disappointed by was the service of the hotel staff. When we walked up to the front desk, there was no greeting or offering to help, just a stare-- we said can we have a late checkout because it's our wedding night and we plan on sleeping in, to which the response was "ok...what time?" Does a little smile or "congrats" hurt anyone? Even when we checked out, another employee was the same way. What does a guest have to do to get a little smile from hotel staff? How about a "thank you for staying with us"?

We had the "Executive Jr. Suite" which didn't have anything executive about it. It was on the second floor so, not even on a high floor. It has a living area with a couch and a coffee table, but the room itself is not very large at all. The bathroom is ok, I do like the standard Sheraton bath amenities. There is no free internet connection, unlike other comparable hotels. Two bottles of water were provided at no charge.

Overall, if I had to stay in the area for a night, I may be inclined to choose this Sheraton again just because there are no other options. But I would choose a standard room, not pay extra for a superior room, and be prepared to be disappointed again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
Mexico city
Reviewed September 19, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel consistently for the last ten years, and I was truly disappointed this time around.

The beds in my room were uncomfortable as the springs readily felt. I called the front desk the next morning to exchange rooms. I was informed all beds are the same in the entire hotel and no further effort was made to improve my stay. I suggested that I might have a bed with abnormal wear, but again.. no solutions.

The linens and towels were lacking quality and quite worn. For some reason the water pressure was extremely low.

I am respectful of diversity but feel that events in their meeting rooms should not inconvenience guests. Guests are forced to walk through meeting/halls from the parking lot to the elevators. On the day I was there, there was a large Indian wedding. There were several statues at the hotel parking lot entrance with some rose petals. Hotel policy should not allow this.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed August 7, 2010

After fairly good internet reviews, I decided to try out this hotel while on business in Anaheim. The hotel itself was a little bit of a drive, but I thought it'd be worth it giving the praise here and on other websites. Booked a room on the Club Floor, so that I knew I could be guaranteed breakfast, internet, and a nice room.

Upon getting off the freeway, the hotel itself was fairly easy to find. It was also surrounded by a nice shopping area, with a Trader Joes, movie theaters, and a few restaurants. That's a plus. Add the free ample parking as another plus. However, that's where my praise ends.

When checking in, the guest service agent took about 10 minutes to check me in. Why? The room I booked wasn't available. Now, here I was trying to pay for a nicer room, and they simply couldn't honor the request. No apology from the guest service agent, only a "we have a room on the 4th floor." It was only until I pressed when he offered to lower the room rate. Otherwise, the hotel was going to downgrade me a room category and then charge me for the original room booked.

Get to the elevators, and only one of the two are working. The hotel opened up the service elevator, but I'm not sure how much help that does, considering you have to push the call buttons for both elevators, which probably increases the time for both elevators. Took about 5 minutes to get up to my room.

Upon arrival to my room, there were dirty glasses outside the door. The hallways are dark. The room also was dingy, depressing, and dark. Throwing a HDTV and new Sheraton bedding in a room didn't mask the many black stains on the carpet and the bathroom that's in serious need of a refurbishment. Overall, this was a subpar Sheraton room. Having just arrived from the Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South, I wish I stayed at that hotel, as it's significantly newer, honors the rate booked, and has guest service agents that actually assist customers.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank slippahs
CerritosSheratonGM, General Manager at Sheraton Cerritos Hotel at Towne Center, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Hello, I wanted to thank everyone for their comments.; we can't improve without them! We have listened to our customers and are halfway through our $1M upgrade to our elevators and are in the process of building the model rooms for our upcoming renovation. The new fitness center will start construction this fall as well.
I hope these upgrades will improve our guest experience tremendously. Next time you stay, please ask to see the model rooms!
In order to match the physical improvements to the hotel, our staff is constantly being re-trained on service basics and policies, and we aim to limit mistakes and inconveniences.
Again, we look forward to seeing you again soon,
Sheraton Cerritos hotel management and staff
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 20, 2010

For a category 3 hotel, this is definitely underrated. My room was very nice and comfortable and the ambiance was better than I expected. As a Platinum guest, a room upgrade was provided without asking. The free breakfast buffet was not so good but the staff was really friendly and accommodating. I would give then high marks on customer service. Free parking was definitely a bonus. I would come back again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank peter_vpnet
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I had a free night stay at a Sheraton and decided to use it here for the first night of a four night Disneyland vacation. It's very much a business property that shares parking with several office buildings. There's quick freeway access and several restaurants nearby.

The hotel is redone with the new Sheraton standards including the new "Link@Sheraton" computer area of the lobby (Why can't ALL hotels just offer free in-room wireless?). Regardless it was nice to be able to check my email without hauling my laptop downstairs.

The room was nicely done with a flatscreen TV and the Sheraton beds that are really comfy. No upgrade for my Gold Membership in SPG but we did get two vouchers for the very nice breakfast buffet in the restaurant.

All in all, a very nice Sheraton. If you do plan on using it for the local theme parks, plan on 20 minutes to DLand (without traffic) and 10 minutes to Knott's (without traffic).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank gbtrotter
Ridgefield Park, New Jersey
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel numerous times for the past 4+ years (at least 5-7 times per year). As long as you come to just sleep, and not much else, then this hotel will definitely do. If you expect anything more, then it starts to lack. I've had frequent problems just getting clothes laundered. They never send it out on time, making it pretty pointless, as by the time I receive it, I've wasted a lot of $$$, and am better off just buying new clothes at the Walmart or Old Navy across the street. I'm not really sure why they tell me it's going out on a certain date, and coming in on a certain date, when they apparently "forget" or claim that the laundering service didn't come by that day (really?). Please, just do your job, and that's all I ask, nothing more.

The food used to be pretty good (way above average), but in the past couple of years, it seems as though they've moved on to something similar to microwave type foods.

I know things break, but they have 2 elevators, how both are out of service for a couple of days is very inconvenient. If I wanted a work out, I would go to the gym. After a long day of work, the last thing I want to do is climb 8 floors. Poor family behind me that had to carry their kids up also to the 8th floor.

This is not really the hotel's fault, but there was a huge wedding that spanned 2 DAYS, where most guests stayed in the hotel... then there was the kids soccer team next to my room. Let's just say that between both of those = not the greatest sleep for me. I as mine as well just have slept in the lobby falling asleep to the pumping music.

I come here a lot on business, thankfully it's not for pleasure. I have no choice but use the services from time to time, and believe me, I try to avoid it, but sometimes I just can't.

I've also been bumped out of the hotel, and had to be placed in another (noisy, dirty, and full of families with kids) hotel about 20 min away. If I wanted to bring my family and stay close to Knott's Berry Farm, or Disney, then I surely would have placed a reservation there.

Overall, come here just to sleep (assuming they didn't overbook). Otherwise, spend less money and choose a more economical hotel that will provide similar facilities/amenities for a better price. It's physically a nice hotel, they just need to work on their people skills.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank bigtvcompany
CerritosSheratonGM, Manager at Sheraton Cerritos Hotel at Towne Center, responded to this review, June 7, 2010
At the Sheraton Cerritos we are happy to receive comments from our guests, both positive, and in areas where we can improve, so keep them coming! We use these as training tools to improve our service, which is generally rated very highly by our guests.
This year we are updating our fitness facility and guest rooms, and are currently upgrading our elevators as we strive to improve our guest experience.
We enjoy having all trypes of guests in the hotel, from sports teams, to business travellers, to families. Our goal is to provide all types of travellers a great place to stay.
Regards,
Sheraton Cerritos
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed February 25, 2010

We stayed there April 2009 while on a leisure trip to Disneyland. Our credit card was not working properly and the front desk person was so kind and patient letting us call the company and resolve the issue (after several tries the card worked :) ). He also gave us an extra breakfast coupon since our reservation only allowed us 2 and there were 3 of us. The room is very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful! We had to switch rooms because of bathroom problems but even that went smoothly.

The breakfast was very good and the staff...especially Javier! is awesome!

Definitely would stay here again. In fact already looking into booking a stay for April 2010!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cerritos
La Quinta Inn & Suites Buena Park
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk
Days Inn & Suites Artesia
Holiday Inn Buena Park Hotel & Conference  Center
Knott's Berry Farm Hotel
Knott's Berry Farm Hotel
#3 of 18 in Buena Park
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - La Mirada

Been to Sheraton Cerritos Hotel at Towne Center? Share your experiences!