“Tiny room, no reading light”

Microtel Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ceres
Petaluma, California
“Tiny room, no reading light”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

This hotel is, I'm sorry to say, terrible. I could make do with the tiny room. I'm just a business traveler, and there's only me. But, no reading light? What the hell is that about? I can't lie in bed reading my book? Unbelievable. I called the front desk to ask if they had a reading light, and the attendant said no, they didn't. I mean, I realize that many Americans aren't readers, but I know for a fact that many are, and this is the first time IN MY LIFE that I stayed in a hotel that didn't have a bedside light.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
BUFFALO GROVE
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I have stayed at Microtel Inn @ Modesto for 1 night. Hotel located accross the street from major highway (99) with no sound protection wall, which means traffic traffic traffic and heavy highway noise all night long. Be prepared to hear trucks raving engines, speeding cars, honking through out the night like you are in the middle of the highway. Closing windows and turning AC on high wont help to reduce the noise. Bring your ear plugs and lots of tylenol to fight morning headache!!! Hotel is clean, they also have continental breakfast, but I will not stay here anymore even if they give me a free room for a year.

Room Tip: By hotel design, all rooms with two beds are facing the highway. You will not be able to sleep at ni...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Ceres hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The price of the room was good. We had a great nights sleep. Thought that the traffic from the freeway would bother us but not one bit. The staff was very nice and helpful especially the Indian gentleman at the front desk. The only downfall I would say is they need new sheets. Ours had a hole in it but we just went and got new ones so no big deal. I would say for the price we paid it was a good deal and breakfast was also included

• Stayed June 2011
Mesquite, Nevada
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Convenient to ----Big Lots, WalMart and McDonald's---YES!!! ---if that's "your thing!" The well-worn rooms were, well, in a word, shabby! Only a contortionist could flush the toilet as the handle was back between the bathroom cabinet and the toilet tank---with about 2"-3" of maneuvering space... There were no convenient outlets to plug in a computer, although the hotel boasts "free internet." The shower curtain was torn in several places; the tissues were "unfriendly" and generally speaking it seemed as though every opportunity was taken to "cut corners." My biggest complaint, however, was not these cosmetic items, but that the room had a faint odor of urine that seemed to permeate everything. We did not switch to another room for fear it would be even worse. It was as though the owners had no pride in their establishment. As for "breakfast", I suppose a watered-down cup of coffee and a muffin would sustain you, but... All in all, I would not only not stay there again, but would certainly not recommend Microtel in Ceres, California, to ANYONE, unless they were an enemy...

Room Tip: First impressions are important, because it's true---what you see (smell) IS what you get!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melanie G
mt1760, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
I want to apologize for your experience and the odor problem you faced in you room. It is not a common experience for our guests and I assure you if you give us a second chance we will make a great impression. I would love for you to contact me so we can offer you a free room and discuss the problems in more detail. You can email me at modesto.microtel@gmail.com or call me at (209)538-6466. I hope to hear from you soon and have a wonderful day.
Port Angeles, Washington
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Just prior to Christmas we traveled around the Central Valley area and ducked in and out of the Microtel as we passed through Ceres to visit relatives. All together I believe our stay equaled one week. There was never any problems with being set up in a handicap accessable room. The rooms, hallways, and lobby area were clean, smelled good and were well maintained. The front desk staff was always ready to assist with any questions or needs we had. The night staff saw us frequently when coming in late and they really treated us great. The housekeepers had a pleasant smile and hello when passing by and it was no problem getting clean towels and garbage emptied when needed, thank you! The continential breakfast was popular and the staff kept it well stocked. Complementary newspaper was a nice touch. The parking lot was well lighted at night and exterior door security was in force, restricting access to the front lobby only. We felt safe there which is something I was worried about when staying away from home. I am so happy we stayed at Microtel and plan to return in the future!

Room Tip: Ask for room not facing the parking lot and away from the freeway for a peace and quiet night.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed at the Microtel for one night on the way between SF and Yosemite. We didn't have really high expectations; just something clean, safe, and comfortable. For the most part, Microtel itself met our needs. The room was clean and neat, but there was little in the way of extras. Breakfast was okay, but not spectacular (muffins, cereal, and a waffle maker in the lobby). It suited the needs of my two year old, but my husband and I chose to wait until later. Mainly, I would caution travelers of the neighborhood. We got a little turned around and saw some unsavory stops on the way to the motel just a little off of the highway. Not bad for one night, but I probably wouldn't do it for any more.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I have stayed here for an extended amount of time for work. They gave me a really great weekly deal, and management/staff are all very nice. The rooms are spacious and clean. Nice sitting area with couch and coffee table, little kitchenette (which is almost impossible to find in this area), and pretty comfy queen bed. The couch also pulls out into a bed if needed.
There is NO fitness center though- it is comprised of one machine- some ancient upper arm machine. I was disappointed in that...
Breakfast is very basic. Not much to talk about. Have to say that I have had much better at other hotels in this price range...
Its not close to anything- Ceres is pretty rough at night, so if you are looking for someplace closeby to the fun, this is not the place (try Clarion Inn- its a party hotel). But if you are looking for a nice quiet place to stay overnight or much longer, this place is great.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ceres
Best Western Palm Court Inn
Ramada Modesto
#4 of 20 in Modesto
Baymont Inn & Suites Modesto Salida
Best Western Orchard Inn

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!