“Fantastic!”
other traveler has booked this property

Review of The Old Hall

The Garden - Yew Hedges and Topiary
Pop Up Glamping
Tennis Court
Perfect for Celebrations and Get Togethers
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Debbie P
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed June 10, 2017 for a stay in May 2017
person found this review helpful

Fantastic week spent at the old hall, made even better by the wall to wall sunshine so we got full use of the fabulous gardens and outdoor pool. The house is fully equipped with everything you need, with loads of room for large families and parties.
The grounds are immense and the formal garden is beautiful. The tennis court and pool were an added bonus. We even made use of the fire pit where we spent an evening toasting marshmallows. We all had a brilliant time and the memories we made will last forever. Janine is extremely helpful and the added touches around the house all helped make it a fabulous holiday. Bill even came to the house to cook us fish and chips from his van which were the best!Don't hesitate to stay here. You won't be disappointed, especially if the peacock displays his feather....magnificent! Stayed with family, May 2017

Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Absolutely perfect weekend”
Reviewed June 5, 2017 for a stay in May 2017

We knew on arrival that it was going to be a very special weekend. It was raining outside but the hall was lit , fire was burning in the grate and Janine the owner was there to welcome us which was such a nice touch .
It is an old house and every room is different , the dining room is ideal for hosting a special dinner, the kitchen is very cosy and all the bedroom are very comfortable.
The pool was very well heated, the tennis courts great and the garden delightful.
The attention to detail is amazing , every little detail has been thought of.
There is a place for everyone to escape and relax and enjoy this beautiful house.
We had the most wonderful weekend of celebration with family and friends.PERFECT is the word I was looking for! THAN YOU .

Your age range 65+
MadVic200...
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed May 14, 2017 for a stay in April 2017

I booked the Old Hall for my husband's 70th birthday celebration. From start to finish everything was perfect. Janine couldn't have been more helpful with her advice and accommodating my requests.
We booked Bill the Fish and Chip Man for the Friday night - the best Fish & Chips we have eaten outside of New Zealand!
We had Mackenzie-David Events to cater for us on the Saturday evening. What a stunning meal. The service was impeccable and the food was so very delicious. Everyone was very happy.
If you want to have a special event in an extraordinary location then book The Old Hall. You will not be disappointed.

Rohit P
London, United Kingdom
“A Luxurious retreat for my wife's 30th Bday ”
Reviewed March 1, 2017 for a stay in December 2016
person found this review helpful

I decided to book a weekend away for my wife's 30th Birthday but rather than your usual cottage, I wanted a mansion to make it memorable. From my first conversation with the owner Janine I knew I was booking the right place. She is a joy to communicate with and helped me plan my weekend to perfection.

We had an absolutely amazing stay in this beautiful house. I can't even describe the feeling we all had as we entered one by one throughout the day. Everyone was stunned by the charm, decor and space on offer - it was truly overwhelming.

The fish and chips provided by Bill on Friday was outstanding and he is such a charming guy. He pulled up in his mobile van and cooked everything fresh. We couldn't thank him enough, The food was fresh, piping hot - just perfect.

We had a chance to explore the gardens on Saturday morning and again, just as beautiful as I expected. We also saw the peacocks which were a pleasant surprise especially for the ladies in the group as they are peacock lovers. We played Tennis also but given our visit was in December, we weren't able to take advantage of the pool, however the pool house is awesome.

Yolande and Jess provided an amazing service with their massages and treatments on the Saturday, all 11 of my guests were so impressed (and relaxed) following the treatments - they did a fantastic job. Bless them I could tell they were tired by the end of it but still professional and it was a lovely touch which we all appreciated.

Dinner provided by Somerleyton was phenomenal on the Saturday evening. Our Chef (apologies I've forgotten his name) and waitress for the evening (Holly) were truly amazing and very friendly. They laid the table and presented the food immaculately and as a foodie myself with high standards I was not let down. The canapés and the 3 course meal went down a treat and all my guests loved every minute of dining in such a grand hall. I had previously picked the menu with Rebecca at Somerleyton and this was also arranged through Janine.

We were very sad to leave, as you can imagine. I bet all the guests say that after their stay, but in all honesty the only thing on the entire groups minds, was "when are we booking again"?

The house has the WOW factor and was decorated for Christmas which further added to its character. We didn't need to leave the house for anything and in terms of decor within, it has the Elizabethan charm but oozes luxury. The garden room was a favourite of ours and where we found ourselves for most of the weekend.

Thanks again for all your help in organising the perfect weekend for my wife's birthday - she loved every minute.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Perfect family weekend retreat”
Reviewed January 30, 2017 for a stay in January 2017

I booked the Old Hall for my husbands 60th birthday surprise, with 10 adults and 3 grandchildren it seemed the perfect choice
We were greeted on arrival by Janine who by the way helped me to make this a very memorable weekend, a home made chocolate cake was waiting in the kitchen for us which of course was extremely welcomed and extremely delicious
The house certainly has character and history and it's a must to read about it as it's absolutely fascinating
We wanted to stay in the grounds for the weekend so I organised what we could to keep us amused such as a falconry display and rifle shooting, sadly the falconry display had to be cancelled due to bird flu but the rifle shooting was a massive hit with everyone and the owner Mark made it very relaxing and great fun, I would definitely recommend it followed by a visit from Bill who cooked us fish and chips in the grounds, I almost forgot to mention our chef Chris and waitress Sally on Saturday night who came to the house and served us a delicious 3 course meal from Somerleyton in house dining, definitely stress free dining for me.

We will have lots of lovely memories of our weekend at the Old Hall and we're looking forward to seeing the photos we had done in the grounds of the house by Colleen and Justin from NN Visuals

Glad we found your Beautiful house Janine

Best wishes from Sharon and Roy Black x

jeanetten...
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“50th Celebration to Remember”
Reviewed October 17, 2016 for a stay in July 2016

I saw The Old Hall advertised in a magazine I was reading in my lunch hour. All my friends were pushing me to celebrate my 50th, but I didn't really fancy having a party like everyone else. As soon as I saw The Old Hall I knew I had to arrange a few days away with special friends and family. It was the most amazing place and the memories I took away from celebratng my 50th will stay with me forever. Janine was so helpful and helped me arrange everything, from Bill the Fish & Chp Man to a Chef for the evening and a Pampering afternoon. To top it all the weather was fantastic and we were able to lounge around the pool and spend quality time together enjoying the celebrations. The rooms were clean and spacious. The house had a magical feel and everyone had a great experience at The Old Hall. I would definitely return and recommend this beautiful place to anyone. Thank you for making my 50th a spcial one.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: I couldn't fault anything, it was all fantastic.
Liked least: Leaving. I didn't want o go home..
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
dave b
lincolnshire
“Golden Wedding Celebrations”
Reviewed October 10, 2016 for a stay in September 2016
person found this review helpful

We booked The Old Hall to celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary. We were greeted on arrival by Janine the owner who gave us an extremely warm welcome and after giving us a guided tour of the house and gardens complete with the history she gave us a delicious chocolate cake and champagne all ready we were feeling spoilt. Our guests all family consisted of 14 adults and 3 children aged from 15 months to 69 years of age. As each family arrived they all commented on the amazing house with such a wow factor and on entry were lost for words. Every room in the house was luxurious from the beds and bedding to the cushions on the sofas you couldn't ask for more. During our stay we had a Friday night BBQ around the pool house, a celebratory banquet in the banqueting hall on Saturday evening by candlelight and a big roaring fire, with vintage champagne and fine wines, and on Sunday we had a buffet plus a curry. The grounds are amazing and so well equipped for all ages with swimming pool, table tennis, tennis court, croquet, skittles and so much more. The house is equipped to a very high standard, the children's room is great for all ages and well stocked with toys books and games. The kitchen is very well equipped also and is a very nice area to spend time in from sitting around the huge table chatting to eating a full english breakfast. Before we left we decided to bring our family back next year for a big birthday celebration.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Simply everything it was AMAZING
Liked least: Leaving
Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 65+
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing