On The Beach Bed & Breakfast
Cayucos Motel(Cayucos)
Seaside Motel(Cayucos)
Dolphin Inn(Cayucos)
View Hotel
All reviewsb bsocial hourhappy hourjacuzzi tubhomemade treatsunderground parkingcheese plattereach morninghot breakfastsecond floorhearst castleocean viewgourmet breakfastwine tastingother guestscocktail hourin town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This was our first stay at lovely "On the beach B & B" and it was amazing, a bit more expensive than we had planed but fantastic. We arrived at 3. July and got a lovely rom and extra beds for the kids. In the evening we was invited to a bondfire on the beach were we were served wine and "somores" . Breakfast was hommade end delicious and the hotel staff emasing. We all got 4. July decorations and tables outside so we could see the parade. For our Norwegian family this was the best stay in California, thank you very much!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Short Version: What a lovely little town. What a lovely place to stay. The staff is friendly and the customer service I experienced was top-notch. Breakfast was delicious. Evening happy hour had very tasty snacks. Desert was sinfully good. So good we didn't eat desert at any of the places we ate at. No need. I am planning to go back in November and will definitely stay with them again. The value was excellent, especially considering breakfast.

Long Version: I wouldn't normally do this, but after reading other reviews on this property I felt I had to address some negative comments directly.

1. Breakfast- I have never had such a good breakfast at anywhere else I've stayed. The food was yummy and the service was friendly. I really felt like a guest in someone's home. (Someone who really cooks well.) I don't know how anyone would have issue with the quality, quantity or service with the breakfast. Period.

2. Noise level- Not an issue. We has an ocean view on the ground floor. I was not woken up once. With the curtains open I felt a bit on display but it didn't bother my girlfriend. And with the privacy curtains closed we actually napped with the patio door open. Ocean breeze was nice.

3. Quality of the Room & Service- I have stayed in everything from 5 star to no star(one was even so bad I couldn't stay the night). I spent at least 2 days a week in a hotel from July through Mid December of 2011, so I do have a bit of experience. I would consider the quality and cleanliness of my room at One the Beach to be WELL above average. (I am not the type to go over a room with a fine tooth comb. I am not nitpicky. For me it is about big picture and comfort, not white glove inspections.)
As far as service it was EXCELLENT! Friendly, warm and efficient. As an example we arrived in the early part of the evening, and we were the las guests to check in that day. The woman waiting to check us in left immediately after we were through, so I assume she was off for the day. At no time during check-in did I feel rushed. She checked us in, walked us to our room and made sure to go over everything with us.(How to work the jacuzzi tub, the fireplace, etc.) My girlfriend even commented on how nice she was after she left us. Every staff member we encountered has this level of customer service, without exception.

4. Booking- As I stated earlier I spent a lot of time in hotels last year. I was in them alone and with 2 young sons (ages 9 & 4). I booked with Orbitz, Priceline, Kayak and Travelocity. I have had my share of screw-ups. Some of them the fault of the property, some the online booker. MOST of my negative experience was the online booker's fault. How a property handles issues says a lot about them, but in the end they are a service provider to the booker. If you have an issue they should TRY and accommodate you, but if they don't have a room, they just don't have it. I never had anything other than excellent service at On the Beach and I can't imagine them not handling booking issues with the same level of service. But in the end if Orbitz sells you a room and they can't accommodate you, be mad at Orbitz.

Room Tip: The view is worth whatever extra it costs to have an Ocean view. But even if you don't the proximity to the beach is really nice.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Aaron I
Reviewed June 14, 2012

It's our second stay at lovely On the Beach B-n-B! I was just reading some other reviews for this property... I'm sure sometimes there are complications... but frankly I don't understand the careless, unkind, inaccurate way people write reviews! Perhaps they stay in hotels and eat in restaurants looking for things to complain about and blow out of proportion instead of looking for the good service, the unique advantages, the personal touches. On The Beach is just 10 steps from the sand and pier entrance. It's not brand new, but kept up VERY nicely! Each staff member is unique and brings to the experience their personalities and skills--cooking, hospitality, concierge, housekeeping. The open windows after twilight allow the cool breeze and sounds of the sea to permeate the room while the crackling fire throws shadows over the walls and comfy king sized bed. It's so cool! :) I wish we could live there! We spent only two nights, tried for 3 but they were all booked up-we'll book earlier next time!

Room Tip: Ocean View upper level will be our choice next trip! :)
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PilgrimStranger
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This place was a little more pricey than some of the others we looked at along the main drag in Cayucos, but was certainly worth it!

Very friendly receptionists put on some complimentary afternoon wine/beer with a little bite to eat, which was great. The room was spacious, clean and had a balcony which overlooked the beach/pier. We also a Jacuzzi, and a a tasty cooked breakfast with coffee, tea and orange juice on tap.

Room Tip: We had a downstairs room with a sea view (room 4). If you can get this one its a winner!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hughandzoe
Reviewed May 30, 2012

this was the 3rd night B&B stay, in a trip down Calif coast. First, this is not a B&B, this is a clean hotel a block away from the beach; it is similar to a Hampton Inn that offers a minimal breakfast buffet. I booked my reservation through Orbitz, and the room specifics stated ocean view room with balcony. Upon check-in, the clerk stated Orbitz exaggerated the room description and the rate I booked at was for a street view. After I showed her my confirmation receipt from Orbitz, she stated I should have booked through them directly. "Take it or leave it" was her attitude. If Cayucos was more than a 4 hotel town, I would have moved. Clerk needs to learn customer service, and B&B categorization is misleading.

Room Tip: look at your other options before booking here; and make sure the hotel guarantees the room specifics
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dan M
OnTheBeachBandB, Owner at On The Beach Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2012

Dan: I apologize for the front desk staff reaction to your check in. That issue will be addressed. We have spent the last 30 days on and off the phone with Orbitz, trying to get them to correct all their data. I can assure you the problem is on their end. We will attempt again to correct their descriptions. I am a little confused by your comments "we only have a minimal breakfast buffet" as we cook a full hot breakfast every morning from 9:00 to 11:00 am with such items as eggs Benedict, creme Brulee French Toast, etc. Is it possible you checked out before breakfast was served? We do put out at 8:00 AM fresh coffee, homemade gronola, bagels and fruit for parties who can't wait till 9:00. Also your comment that we are a block away from the beach, the beach is about 45' from our decks with the only seperation being a single car lane and a row of parking. We try to thoroughly describe this on our website. I would encourage you to contact Orbitz to let them know of their errors as we have done so numerous times and will continue to do so. Again I apologize for the front desk attitude and that issue will be resolved immediately.