On The Beach Bed & Breakfast
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Cayucos Beach Inn(Cayucos)(Great Value!)
$95
$70
$369
Dolphin Inn(Cayucos)
$76
$69
Seaside Motel(Cayucos)
Cayucos Motel(Cayucos)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsb bsocial hourhappy hourjacuzzi tubhomemade treatsunderground parkingcheese plattereach morninghot breakfastsecond floorhearst castleocean viewgourmet breakfastwine tastingother guestscocktail hourin town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Stayed here for our Anniversary on Friday & Saturday night.. Street level Room #5.
Room clearn and nice ammenities. Extremely noisy location until about 11pm both nights.
Wonderful soaking tub - but water pressure to fill tub or take shower was almost non-existant, to the point of frustration.
Breakfast was ok - but certainly did not live up to the promo listed under the "Wining & Dining"' article written by the Innkeeper on their website.
Asked the staff about the missing sheer curtain for the street level window because either pedestrians immediately outside the room had a clear view into the room, or the only other option was to pull the dark-out curtain and loose the view . Staff indicated the sheer curtain had been removed because it had become a bit ratty. Asked if it could be replaced before our second day/night - but nothing occurred as a result of the request.
Have stayed at many B & B's over the past 6 years and have never written a critical review before. This B & B has all the potential - but fell short. I think the difference in this B & B and others we have stayed at may be due the fact young staff are overseeing the operation, rather than having the Innkeeper on site.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LovinLife4454
OnTheBeachBandB, Owner at On The Beach Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

First I want to sincerely apologize for our slip ups. It is not an excuse but we had several employees leave on abrupt notice, and were having to fill in the best we could until the new staff can be fully trained.
On the sheer curtains, they had been removed to be cleaned and I was not aware that no sheers had been put up as a substitute. the freshly cleaned and pressed sheers are back in the room.
On the slow bath water issue this is the first I had headed of it (in any room). We will have a plumber look at in immediately.
Again we offer our sincere apology, and hopefully you can see from our guest book and other comments that we are always striving to have top level stay for our guests.
sincerely,
Richard Shannon, Owner/manager

Reviewed August 4, 2011

Stayed 3 nights with husband for anniversary. In every case, at every breakfast and wine and cheese time, person preparing food was also touching computer, phone, etc. and never washing hands before touching food. Nor were plastic gloves worn. This happened with 4 different employees. I pointed this out, but practice did not change. They are obviously in violation of food handling regulations.

Another problem: I was told when making reservation that a bottle of complimentary champagne would be placed in our room the first night. Did not appear. I pointed this out and was told it would be there second night. Did not happen. Ditto for third night when we reminded them it was our last night. Finally got champagne.

Breakfast heavy on sweets and carbs, low on protein. They also ran out of things. Cheese platter during wine time would be empty and they would replenish only after a guest asked.

Low-end bath products.

A few good points: location beachfront, rooms large.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

I want to apologize that the staff forgot your free champagne bottle the first two nights. There is no excuse except that they got busy and missed it.
On the food handling I will remind the staff to wash their hands every time they answer the phone of check the computer. I can tell you that they have all had food handling training and was their hands consistently throughout the preparation and serving process, and we consistently receive high ratings from the health department.
Our complimentary happy hour runs from 5:00 to 6:30 and we make a point to keep food dishes stocked with enough food during those times, we make an effort to reduce waste and many times the happy hour will run past 6:30 in which case we will leave food until we are empty or replenish upon request.
Again I apologize and hope that you can see by the overwhelming comments in our guest books that we work hard to make your stay here a memorable one.
Richard Shannon

Reviewed August 1, 2011

I'd like to start off by saying the room (room 2 ocean level) was beautiful and spacious...BUT, I was very disappointed by what we thought would be a "full 180 ocean view" (as stated on their website). I have included pics of the questionable 180 full ocean view, so others would not be mislead like we were and some others have been. I would not consider a full ocean view to be one that would include a line of vehicles and the tippy top of the ocean.

The B&B is not exactly "on the beach", it's actually on the side of the beach across from the parking lot. Because of this, my husband and I were woken up to sounds of skateboarders and teenagers hanging out by the restrooms that are an arms throw away from our room. They woke us up around 11:30 pm and continued to talk and ride their skateboards until my husband went outside to ask them to leave. The final four stragglers left at 12:52 AM! I understand that this is not the fault of the B&B, however, I feel that they should have security or someone on staff to remedy situations like this. The front desk person leaves at 8 pm and there is absolutely no staff member to talk to you if you were to encounter a problem after 8 pm.

One last thing, our beautiful white bed SQUEAKED every time we moved. Probably not a good thing for a Breakfast & BED Inn. The breakfast of waffles with fruit and scones the next morning was delicious and the girls who made them were pleasant.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor are probably better.
2  Thank mshiba21
OnTheBeachBandB, Manager at On The Beach Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

I am sorry that you feel you were misled as to the location of our inn. We want to clearly represent ourselves and will be updating our website so that there is no way for future confusion. Our beach level ocean view rooms are normally highly enjoyed by guests seeking the “on the beach” feel that these rooms provide due to the fact that we are the closest beachfront hotel in town. If you prefer further privacy we would always suggest an upstairs room.
It is unfortunate that your sleep was interrupted by kids outside. Had you alerted the on call night manager we would have certainly made that a non-issue.
Again we never want to mislead our guests and we apologize that we were unable to meet you expectations. We value you input and will take the criticism as constructive so that we can continue improve and succeed!

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Don't expect a traditional little B & B! On the Beach is truly on the beach in Cayucas just across from the pier. It's more like a small hotel. Underground parking. Elevator from the parking garage so no carrying luggage up the stairs. Mini kitchen area w fridge/micro/cabinet. Very large rooms with wonderful decor and much attention to detail. Fireplace, jacuzzi tub and very large bathroom. Relaxation deck with lounge chairs and jacuzzi. All this overlooking the beach with the sounds of the ocean. The breakfast was first rate and I'm sorry that we missed beverages and snacks in the evening. The innkeeper and staff could not be more helpful and knowledgeable. Cayucas is a great little town just up the way from San Luis Obispo and a half hour from Hearst Castle so if you are going to either this is an excellent location to stay. Several small restaurants and shops and the chowder across the street is really, really good! We were only there for one day passing through so it felt like a tease. Will definitely make it a two day getaway in the future.

Room Tip: Facing the beach if possible! Upstairs even better!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Sue T
Reviewed July 20, 2011

My wife and I had a short window of time and were looking for a peaceful 'time out' from a hectic schedule. A few days along California's Central Coast did the trick with the first three at this bed and breakfast in Cayucos.

Cayucos is on the coast just five miles north of Morro Bay and 25 miles from San Simeon Castle. The B and B is across a small street from the beach and public pier.

Our second floor oceanview room was well appointed, large and spacious, the king size bed very comfortable and the breakfasts scrumptous. In the evenings, they served wine from the Harmony Winery from just a few miles up the road. Caution here; we enjoyed the wine, visited the winery, bought six bottles and joined their wine club.

Things to do: walks on the beach, dinners in Morro Bay, the Farmer's market in SLO, elephant seals just north of Cambria, and, if you are a cyclist, some great cycling roads.On prior trips to this region we have spent time in Cambria, visited San Simeon Castle, and driven across to Paso Robles where there are 300 wineries.