“Amateurish service - NOT good for honeymooners”

On The Beach Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 6 Cayucos B&B and Inns
Santa Monica
“Amateurish service - NOT good for honeymooners”
Reviewed November 4, 2007

We booked a room here in Nov. 06 for our June wedding. We were only going to stay the first night of honeymoon. When we booked it we paid $219 for an ocean-view room. The hotel must've changed ownership that year because it was called Pierpointe Inn at the time of the booking. When I made the reservation I put in the comment section that it was the first night of our honeymoon so I was hoping to get a nice room. We arrived in June at what was now called "On the Beach" in late afternoon. A young girl showed us to a street view room. We could see a Chevron gas station out the window. I reminded her that we had booked an ocean view room. She told me that would cost more but that I could upgrade (somewhere between $300-400). I told her I shouldn't have to pay more b/c when I booked it, I paid what was the ocean view price at the time and it was on my printed receipt. She left us in the hall, with all our bags while she ran downstairs to call her boss. She came back up a few minutes later and told us we could have an ocean view room. The room was luxurious & beautiful. The next morning we had to leave just before 8AM to catch a flight. The lobby was dark & empty. There was no coffee, not even a muffin. Not only that, we couldn't find any place to leave our room key. We finally slid it under the door of the locked reservation room/front desk and left. I sent the manager a letter in Sept. letting them know that the service wasn't very good. I thought they would like to know. I got a letter back stating that since I got the ocean view room I shouldn't complain and that I shouldn't bother coming back there since "sometimes people are just not happy". She also wrote "If a guest ever has any type of bad experience while here and is reasonable, I make extreme efforts to rectify and improve the situation." while writing that anything I was unhappy with was my fault. We ended up staying at a Westin later that week and when the receptionist overheard that it was our honeymoon week she had a bottle of champagne & truffles sent up. The Westin is a huge impersonal hotel yet they were able to make us feel good about being there.
It was definitely kind of disappointing to stay at On the Beach when we had been looking forward to it for so long. We could tell by the letter we got that they couldn't care less about us as future guests. The Cayucos Beach Inn, across the street, is a much better value and the service is more professional.

• Liked — The room/location
  • Disliked — The unprofessionalism, lack of service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Shrewd_traveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
United States
Reviewed August 21, 2007

We spent two nights at On the Beach Bed and Breakfast in August 2007. The accommodations were very nice, however the staff and the breakfast were lacking. The first morning we were there two young girls prepared breakfast. They were having a conversation as if no one else could hear, using profanity and talking about some of the guests as if they weren't even there.
The inn advertises a gourmet breakfast. The breakfast was very good, but the guests were not allowed to have second portions. It is hardly realistic to think that an average man is only going to eat two pancakes and two pieces of bacon for breakfast (which the staff serves - it is not help yourself). When we asked for seconds, we were told that all the guests had to be served before they could serve seconds. How do they even know if all the guests are going to eat there? That is just ridiculous. If they are promoting a "gourmet breakfast", at least let the guests have as much as they want.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank Sally011
Central Valley, California
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We had never been to Cayucos; didn't know what to expect . . .

Our room was spacious and refreshing. We loved the airy colors/textures and gauze-draped canopy bed. The balcony overlooked the main drag, pier, and beach. Staff was pleasant and helpful.

Overall impression of the locale: Cayucos is a local beach for a wide variety of people--families, teens, surfers/surf students (classes were in session), pier fishers, and day trippers. Commerce is limited, but choice--we ate very well at Hoppe's; found some fun souvenirs at Pier Gifts and very nice gifts at Mclean Jewelry.

We will return. Pricier than some other beach inns, but worth it.

• Liked — Location/ambience
  • Disliked — One grumpy staffer on Sunday
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jbet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayucos
Cayucos Shoreline Inn...on the beach
#1 of 6 in Cayucos
Cayucos Beach Inn
Cayucos Beach Inn
#3 of 10 in Cayucos

Been to On The Beach Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!