“BEST CUISINE BY THE BEACH IN SLO COUNTY” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hoppe's Garden Bistro - CLOSED

Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Hoppe’s Garden Bistro has been serving the highest quality Continental cuisine and the finest International and local wines, from our historic location in the heart of Cayucos, for over 13 years. Our team of professional, knowledgeable servers have devoted themselves to pampering our guests and delivering a sophisticated level of attentive service. The kitchen and bakery are abuzz early each morning as our chefs start their daily craft of making virtually everything by hand: breads, pizza dough, ice cream, cakes, pastries, stocks, sauces, pasta, smoked meats, sausages, cured fish – it all begins from scratch with our dedication to fresh flavors and creative seasonal cuisine.By the time Chef Wilhelm Hoppe opened Hoppe’s Garden Bistro in 2000, he was already recognized as one of the Central Coast’s most cutting edge chefs. His years in Morro Bay at Hoppe’s 901 and Windows on the Water won over the palates of many critics and the dining public. Chef Hoppe’s uncompromising use of the finest ingredients, skillful saucing and masterful plating won him respect as someone truly devoted to his passion. Chef Hoppe graduated from the Culinary Institute of America in New York and trained in Switzerland before settling here. His numerous accolades include Awards of Excellence from Wine Spectator and Le Cordon Bleu. Sadly, Chef Hoppe passed away in 2010.Today, Hoppe’s honors the man and his legacy: sourcing fresh, high quality ingredients, creating seasonally inspired flavors, and building long lasting relationships with growers, winemakers and patrons.
Province of Valencia, Spain
“BEST CUISINE BY THE BEACH IN SLO COUNTY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Hoppe’s has been one of my favorite restaurants on the Central Coast. I have been going to it since he first opened in Morro Bay and then when he moved to Cayucos. The menu is European-inspired, but uses unique local ingredients such as the Cayucos farm-raised abalone, which you can get as either an appetizer or entrée. Finesse is given to the preparation of the assorted delectable dishes. I love the Mother’s salad, which has butter lesson, and a sweet and sour lightly creamy dressing. They now also have pizzas. They do a fantastic preparation of fish and seafood. It’s a shame they can no longer get foie gras, which they used in their “Tower Of Power.” Service is always friendly and professional. They have a good selection of wines, with many great local wines. The outdoor patio is nice for lunch or a warm summer evening (check the Cayucos beach cam for weather.) We took our little dog for lunch, and had a relaxing, delicious meal. Reservations are recommended for high season and week-ends.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SchoonersCayucos, General Manager at Hoppe's Garden Bistro, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Hello Dawn,
Thank you for your visit and a special thank you for the kind words on Trip Advisor. I follow your blog, Starr Treks, and I understand how important the culture and food on the Central Coast is to you. I'm glad you enjoyed your recent experience and will look forward to your next visit to Hoppe's Garden Bistro.

San Diego, CA
“Warms the cockles of my heart!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband & I always make it a point to have lunch at Hoppe's when visiting the Paso Robles wineries & Hwy 1 coast. We are always promptly seated in the shaded outdoor garden setting. Service is friendly & efficient. I always order the cockles (clams) steamed in white wine with artichoke pesto. Mmmmm This heavenly dish is my all-time favorite of the many clam/cockle/mussel creations I've ever eaten. The fresh ingredients in the salads & other seafood items have pleased my husband. The wine list is quite good & a chiller is provided. Hoppe's is closed on Mondays, so plan your schedule to dine here & you won't be disappointed as we once were.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SchoonersCayucos, General Manager at Hoppe's Garden Bistro, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Hello Mayamujer,
Thank you for the wonderful compliment about our clams. Thanks also for the mention of our beautiful garden seating area and the freshest quality foods we use. I'm sure we may have inconvenienced a few people by being closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, and I'm sorry for that. Perhaps by letting others know about our hours of operation you have saved another guest a trip in vain. On the other hand if you find yourself in Cayucos on a Monday or Tuesday, you might check in with our friends at Schooner's Wharf, just down the street.
Please come back soon if you can.

Los Angeles
“Great food. Great people.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is such a good restaurant. Another little gem on the central coast. The people there are very nice and the food is fantastic. Before foie gras was banned they used to have this tower of power I think it was called. That was my go to dish. Their steaks are great and so is their pasta as well.

Visited September 2013
Hello Longbrds 11,
Thank you for returning to Hoppe's Garden Bistro, and thank you for the gracious review of your experience. Although it's true that Foie Gras has been banned in restaurants, our guests are still enjoying our Tower of Power. With it's seared rare Ahi Tuna, fresh Sea Scallops, and Portabella mushroom, all atop our homemade grilled polenta, it is a #1 guest favorite. Our steaks are from the Hearst Ranch, and as many products as we can source locally come from the Central Coast.
We think the nicest people come to dine at Hoppe's and can't wait until you come back to pay us another visit.

Santa Barbara, California
“Delicious Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We loved our lunch at Hoppe's, the food was delicious and presented well, service was great, very nice ambiance in restaurant. The day was overcast so we ate inside, would like to try the garden on out next visit.

Visited October 2013
Hello Ann Marie F.,
Thank you for including Hoppe's Garden Bistro in your trip up the coast. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal with us and thank you for complimenting our dining room. The Garden at Hoppe's is quite special and I hope you get a chance to experience it on your next trip to Cayucos. Like your own town of Santa Barbara, the sun usually shines a little brighter on Cayucos. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Corona del Mar, California
“New ownership”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Food was good and the service was decent. The new ownership needs to get a better feel for stocking the basic items for its menu.
One night on a sunday at 830pm the ran out of goat cheese for the goat cheese salad.

Visited September 2013
Hello Cynthia,
Thank you for visiting Hoppe's Garden Bistro. I'm sorry we ran out of the goat cheese for the goat cheese salad. We strive to never be out of any ingredient for our menu items. I don't know if our weekend volume was unusually heavy or if we had some problem with the supplier, but I will make sure that we order more in the future so we don't disappoint any more guests. Thank you for helping me to do my job better. I hope you will come visit again soon.