“Warms the cockles of my heart!”
Review of Hoppe's Garden Bistro - CLOSED

Cuisines: European, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Hoppe’s Garden Bistro has been serving the highest quality Continental cuisine and the finest International and local wines, from our historic location in the heart of Cayucos, for over 13 years. Our team of professional, knowledgeable servers have devoted themselves to pampering our guests and delivering a sophisticated level of attentive service. The kitchen and bakery are abuzz early each morning as our chefs start their daily craft of making virtually everything by hand: breads, pizza dough, ice cream, cakes, pastries, stocks, sauces, pasta, smoked meats, sausages, cured fish – it all begins from scratch with our dedication to fresh flavors and creative seasonal cuisine.By the time Chef Wilhelm Hoppe opened Hoppe’s Garden Bistro in 2000, he was already recognized as one of the Central Coast’s most cutting edge chefs. His years in Morro Bay at Hoppe’s 901 and Windows on the Water won over the palates of many critics and the dining public. Chef Hoppe’s uncompromising use of the finest ingredients, skillful saucing and masterful plating won him respect as someone truly devoted to his passion. Chef Hoppe graduated from the Culinary Institute of America in New York and trained in Switzerland before settling here. His numerous accolades include Awards of Excellence from Wine Spectator and Le Cordon Bleu. Sadly, Chef Hoppe passed away in 2010.Today, Hoppe’s honors the man and his legacy: sourcing fresh, high quality ingredients, creating seasonally inspired flavors, and building long lasting relationships with growers, winemakers and patrons.
San Diego, CA
“Warms the cockles of my heart!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband & I always make it a point to have lunch at Hoppe's when visiting the Paso Robles wineries & Hwy 1 coast. We are always promptly seated in the shaded outdoor garden setting. Service is friendly & efficient. I always order the cockles (clams) steamed in white wine with artichoke pesto. Mmmmm This heavenly dish is my all-time favorite of the many clam/cockle/mussel creations I've ever eaten. The fresh ingredients in the salads & other seafood items have pleased my husband. The wine list is quite good & a chiller is provided. Hoppe's is closed on Mondays, so plan your schedule to dine here & you won't be disappointed as we once were.

• Visited July 2013
SchoonersCayucos, General Manager at Hoppe's Garden Bistro, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Hello Mayamujer,
Thank you for the wonderful compliment about our clams. Thanks also for the mention of our beautiful garden seating area and the freshest quality foods we use. I'm sure we may have inconvenienced a few people by being closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, and I'm sorry for that. Perhaps by letting others know about our hours of operation you have saved another guest a trip in vain. On the other hand if you find yourself in Cayucos on a Monday or Tuesday, you might check in with our friends at Schooner's Wharf, just down the street.
Please come back soon if you can.

Los Angeles
“Great food. Great people.”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is such a good restaurant. Another little gem on the central coast. The people there are very nice and the food is fantastic. Before foie gras was banned they used to have this tower of power I think it was called. That was my go to dish. Their steaks are great and so is their pasta as well.

Visited September 2013
Hello Longbrds 11,
Thank you for returning to Hoppe's Garden Bistro, and thank you for the gracious review of your experience. Although it's true that Foie Gras has been banned in restaurants, our guests are still enjoying our Tower of Power. With it's seared rare Ahi Tuna, fresh Sea Scallops, and Portabella mushroom, all atop our homemade grilled polenta, it is a #1 guest favorite. Our steaks are from the Hearst Ranch, and as many products as we can source locally come from the Central Coast.
We think the nicest people come to dine at Hoppe's and can't wait until you come back to pay us another visit.

Santa Barbara, California
“Delicious Food”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We loved our lunch at Hoppe's, the food was delicious and presented well, service was great, very nice ambiance in restaurant. The day was overcast so we ate inside, would like to try the garden on out next visit.

Visited October 2013
Hello Ann Marie F.,
Thank you for including Hoppe's Garden Bistro in your trip up the coast. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal with us and thank you for complimenting our dining room. The Garden at Hoppe's is quite special and I hope you get a chance to experience it on your next trip to Cayucos. Like your own town of Santa Barbara, the sun usually shines a little brighter on Cayucos. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Corona del Mar, California
“New ownership”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Food was good and the service was decent. The new ownership needs to get a better feel for stocking the basic items for its menu.
One night on a sunday at 830pm the ran out of goat cheese for the goat cheese salad.

Visited September 2013
Hello Cynthia,
Thank you for visiting Hoppe's Garden Bistro. I'm sorry we ran out of the goat cheese for the goat cheese salad. We strive to never be out of any ingredient for our menu items. I don't know if our weekend volume was unusually heavy or if we had some problem with the supplier, but I will make sure that we order more in the future so we don't disappoint any more guests. Thank you for helping me to do my job better. I hope you will come visit again soon.

San Francisco, California
“Great spot for a special occasion”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We had a great time and a great meal at this historical location. We went in a little early, before the major dinner crowd and were lucky to get a spot in the Secret Garden. We decided to start out with the potato pancake and the prawns and then shared the roasted garlic and warm goat cheese salad. I got the Salmon (amazing!!) and my boyfriend had the tower of power. My only comment would be more on the logistics and operations side of the business. Some of the employees need some fine tuning and the kitchen synergy seemed to be a bit off. I really hope that it was a one off and cannot wait to visit them again!

• Visited June 2013
SchoonersCayucos, General Manager at Hoppe's Garden Bistro, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Hello Melina K.,

Thank you for your visit to Hoppe's Garden Bistro, and thanks for sharing your experience with our Trip Advisor friends. I glad you had a chance to enjoy a dinner in our beautiful Garden. You selected some of my favorite choices of seafood and appetizers. We are committed to delivering an outstanding overall dining experience, and I would appreciate any further feedback you might give me on how we can improve the logistics and operations.
Feel free to send me an email at your convenience to jeff@hoppesbistro.com.I welcome any insight that you can provide that will help us to serve our guests better.

Thank you again.