“Great Place to Stay!”

Cayucos Shoreline Inn...on the beach
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cayucos
Reviewed May 18, 2010

We had a great experience at the Shoreline Inn. Location, Location, Location! Now this property is ON THE BEACH, when I was researching where to stay for a trip to San Simeon, I looked at the hotels in San Simeon and Cambria but decided to choose the Shoreline Inn because it looked like it was on the beach and it is. I would say of all the hotels reviewed for this area -- this is the best, if you are looking for a little beach and a nice room. We had an upstairs room which, if it hadn't been so chilly, we could have had our window and sliding glass door open all night to hear the roar of the surf. For almost 1/2 what the hotels in San Simeon and Cambria charge this spot is a real deal! While we were in the area I drove my and looked at the Best Western in San Simeon and althought it looked pretty nice the rooms that are $143.00 a night (oceanview with fireplace) were quite a distance from the beach -- you could hear a little bit of the ocean. The rooms that are beachfront and cost $255 a night were closer to the ocean but still not as close as the Shoreline Inn. Here you literally walk across a little bit of grass and you are on the beach. Contrary to some complaints about the beds -- the gentleman I spoke to said said all the downstiars beds had been replaced and that the upstairs beds should be fine -- ours was. Anyway the only downside was that we did have to backtrack to San Simeon as we were coming from Oakland. But, I think if you were coming from LA, it would be perfect,a s it was - it was only a 20 minute drive. All of the hotels in Cambria are across the street from the beach. The Ragged Point Inn looked nice but no beach access, a couple we spoke to said the room was ok but had a musty odor.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Cayucos Shoreline Inn...on the beach

Reviewed March 27, 2010

So we checked in and they gave us 2 sheets for our bed. They didn't say anything other than these are for your dogs. We had a great trip, beautiful view and our dogs had a great time. We're on a budget so the price was right, location was great. We went to the grocery store and ate in our room for most of our trip because it was cheaper than going out.

We get home and there's an extra 20$ tacked onto what we signed for on our room. My fiancee calls and the jerk of a hotel clerk says well there was extra trash in your room and there's dog fur on the covers. Excuse me?! They boast about being a pet friendly hotel, its one of their biggest advertisements! We made our reservations 2 months ago for that room and you're telling me you're charging me for some trash and some dog fur??? He says that well the maid had to spend an extra hour cleaning up your room and we provided you with sheets. RIDICULOUS!

So I have to take out my own trash (which was take out containers) because the garbage cans in the room are only 5 gallon containers and I can fit one take out container in there. And then I have to put the sheets on the bed or they'll charge me???? We already paid for our dogs to stay in their hotel ($30 pet fee). If pet rooms take more to clean up after than maybe they need to charge more than $30. And also, they consider trash "damage", we didn't take, break or scratch anything in that room. There's nothing in the contract that says fur on the covers or some trash will be an extra charge.

I won't be staying here again. I've never been charged for some take out containers and fur found in a "Pet friendly" hotel. Wouldn't recommend it and they don't know how to deal with customers that are unhappy which made it worse.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Want2Relax2
CayucosShoreline, Manager at Cayucos Shoreline Inn...on the beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2012

Thank you for your review of your stay. Our policy is stated on the registration card and signed by the guest at check in. It states the following “The above stated party is financially responsible for any damages made during their stay or more than normal cleaning as a result of their stay.” Our regular fees reflect cleaning time required for average stays, including pets and the condition of the room at check out. When the cleaning of a room requires a significant amount of cleaning service, we must charge for the additional time. We hope we have been able to shed some light to the situation and our policies.
-Laila Kollmann

Reviewed January 10, 2010

really a great stay for a night. Thats all the time we had. Would have liked to stay longer. We were a walk-in and got a great rate of $89 for a large suite. Ours didn't have a fireplace but you could see the pier and beach from our patio.
They also have rooms right on the beach in the old part of the hotel which is the original portion. It is well kept properity with beach access.They have a bbq on the property for guests use if you were staying for a week. Also a pet friendly hotel and beach.
We had some great pizza from across the street, since we had stopped in Morro Bay for lunch. We had the complimentary breakfast, the usual cold cereals fruit and toast or bagels etc. but there are alot of places to get breakfast. We just wanted to stay in the room til check-out. I like to get my monies worth. The bed and pillows were great. Get some wine from the local wineries and have a glass to watch the sunset. Nice walk to shops resturants and the pier. Lots of surfboarders to watch.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mgm61
Reviewed November 26, 2009

The place is right on the beach just as advertised. Found it on the internet and called in a reservation and promptly received a conformation by email. We got the room we reserved. Staff very accomodating and room clean and everything worked.WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET and we would definately recomend this accomodation. A family run operation on the beach.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2009

We have stayed at the Shoreline for years. We plan to return again. The staff is great! The rooms a little small, but who cares, we just sleep in them anyway. The BEST place to stay in Cayucos, because it is the only hotel on the beach. My husband REFUSES to stay anywhere else. It is so laid back, it's close to all the shops, diners, etc. You can spend the whole day just looking out your window, as we did when the power went out last week, due to a huge rain and wind storm. It just added to the ambiance. Remember, this is NOT a Luxury hotel, but I can forgo luxury. It's very clean and we always return to the Shoreline. Best place to relax ever!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lgwtrlady
Reviewed September 15, 2009

handicapped rooms are excellent.Plenty of room for wheelchairs users, and very easy to get in and out of . Twenty seconds to a beautiful view, staff is fantastic. VERY HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank marxieman
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My husband and I love Cayucos, and the Shoreline has THE best location. However, beyond that the place fails miserably. We've stayed there a number of times since our first visit in 2001, and more often than not we've been unhappy. We've reserved certain rooms three times only to get to Cayucos and be told that no, we reserved "this" accomodation. NO, We didn't. But, because we'd brought the dog (or the grandkids) we took the room offered. The remodeling a few years ago has improved the outward looks, but inside the rooms are still pretty cheezy. Think of an old "Motor Lodge" that is kind of tacky in a memorable sort of way. The floors are never clean and the drains do drain very slowly. Few obey (I do because I said I'd obey the pet rules) the don't leave the dog in the room and go away. The barking dogs attrack my attention, so surely the manager in the same building has to hear the barking???
I think the Shoreline is over priced and agree with a preview review that management isn't always nice and isn't always truthful about available rooms and only a couple of times (and we've been there once or twice a year since our first visit) have we gotten the room we reserved. Beyond that being ON the beach is great. However, we haven't returned this year (2009) because we just got tired of the run-around. Maybe we'll go and try another place, and maybe we'll suck it up and go back to the Shoreline to be on the beach. We'll see. Would recommend as long as my friend knows the problems I've had.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lisajoy1

We recently came across your review and would like to take this opportunity to invite you back to Shoreline Inn…on the beach. Although we have been family owned and operated for over 30 years, our in-house management changed during the time of your visit. We encourage you to come back for another visit and a positive experience. Additionally the interior of the beach building was remodeled in the Spring of 2011.
-Laila Kollmann

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayucos
Pier View Suites
#3 of 10 in Cayucos
Cayucos Sunset Inn
Cayucos Sunset Inn
#1 of 7 in Cayucos

Been to Cayucos Shoreline Inn...on the beach? Share your experiences!