Cayucos Shoreline Inn...on the beach
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Cayucos Beach Inn(Cayucos)(Great Value!)
$95
$70
$369
Dolphin Inn(Cayucos)
$76
$69
Best Western El Rancho(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$84
$79
BestWestern.com
Seaside Motel(Cayucos)
Cayucos Motel(Cayucos)
All reviewsocean frontcontinental breakfasta pet friendly hotelrooms are cleancentral coastwalking distancelove this placein townpicnic tablesmorro rockthe staff was friendly and helpfulshops and restaurantssea glassslidersacross the streetgrassy areasound of the waves
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I've been all over on the central coast and Cayucos is hands down the best! I love that the residents are so relaxed & friendly, everything is in walking distance, and the town is so dog friendly. I appreciate it that the Shoreline Inn welcomes pets because I like to travel with my dog and that it is directly on the beach so I can fall asleep to the sound of the waves and sit out on the balcony overlooking the beach and enjoy the view. The Shoreline Inn is the only hotel right on the beach. The yard is nice and has supplies for pet clean up. The breakfast was pretty sparse but that seems to be fairly common and I was very happy to see that 4 legged family members are welcome in the breakfast room/lobby. I only have 2 really negative comments: 1. They would not allow me to check in before 1:00pm even if the room was ready and 2. The room could have been cleaner. There is an extra charge for each pet and I assumed that it was for extra cleaning but now I'm wondering what it's for because there were spots on the floor (looking suspiciously like previous pet accidents) and my dog sniffed every inch of the floor and bed, something she's never done in any other hotel. She is impeccably housetrained and would burst before she had an accident inside so those smells indoors were a new experience for her. This is the first time I've ever stayed there so this may not be the standard. I hope it isn't because it was otherwise a great place to stay. I will probably give it one more try.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2009

I'm slow about providing this, but we just slowed down for awhile after the last trip.

My agenda:
Go out to the balcony and have a glass of wine--take a nap to recover from the effort;
walk on the beach for a bit--take a nap to recover from the effort;
go to the snack shop for a meal--take a nap to recover from the effort.

After that sort of stress, it was difficult to get back into the swing of things.

Shoreline is inexpensive and clean. I can have my useless dogs with me and we can all walk on the beach in the morning and fall asleep listening to the ocean at night. We've stayed there several times and have no complaints.

I always stay on the second floor in the old section close to the beach. The room is plain, but there's a little fridge and a microwave. Free WiFi is available (if you don't have an evil brother who screws up your laptop after you loaned it to him as a favor).

The support staff does vary from some bad tempered youngsters to some delightful mature hosts on the front desk. You just have to deal with it to get such a view

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed October 17, 2008

If you’re looking for calm and relaxing, stay at this motel. No pretense, just a nice, quiet, friendly motel on the water. My room was very clean and the continental breakfast was a nice touch. Management was very pleasant and offered suggestions when I had questions about what to see, where to go. There are several places to eat in town(all price ranges) and some fun shops to explore-all within easy walking distance. I hope I will get a chance to stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank onthegoNagoya
Reviewed September 14, 2008

I have stayed at the Shoreline several times. My main feeling about it is that I just wish it would live up to all that the location offers.

As previously noted, you can't get a better location. I have stayed both upstairs and downstairs in beachfront rooms. Although the upstairs rooms are nicer for their privacy, you still get a spectacular view downstairs with easier access to the ocean. The block wall will inhibit your view of breaking water if you are sitting, but you can still see the ocean, pier, and Morro Rock.

The worst thing about the rooms has to be the beds. They don't look that old, but they are lumpy and cheap. I like my mattress to be more than four inches thick. Also, we stayed in the downstairs room with two doubles this time; it certainly would be nice if they could fit two queens in there instead.

The rooms are pretty clean. I found a party toothpick and a piece of kibble on the carpet, but they do a remarkable job of keeping of this place clean given all of the sand that must get tracked in. Maybe the sand is what kept the shower from barely draining. I hope you like wet feet.

This place has been updated a little since I was last here. One interesting addition is vinyl windows. They have the odd effect of dampening the sound of the ocean while amplifying all other sounds inside. Everyone was pretty well-behaved while we were there, but I could imagine this being a real nightmare if the wrong crowd is booked during your visit. You'll hear barking dogs, talking people, TVs, doors, car engines, etc.

Breakfast was standard hotel blah, the wifi went on the fritz once, and I'd rather there weren't dogs at the motel even though that's their big selling point.

Still, even with these negatives, I find myself with pleasant memories of the charming town of Cayucos, having tea in the morning while watching the waves, and playing in the surf. Even though it's just a motel, I find myself always being drawn back. Even though the Shoreline isn't perfect, you'll most likely have a great vacation anyway.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingPhD
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We loved Cayucos! - A really unassuming place with a great beachfront and very friendly people. We'd booked the Shoreline Inn before we arrived and whilst I was pretty sure that I'd booked a deluxe beachfront room that's not what they had us down for. We didn't mind too much and actually our deluxe room on the first floor was more private and quieter. It was a really good size with sofa, balcony and porthole window looking toward Morro Rock. Breakfast was a bit meagre and as with so many of the motels we stayed in it finished too early!! - There were a few problems with the Wi-Fi but overall we were very comfortable and the people were friendly. Not sure it was great value at $185 a night but the location is amazing so I guess they can command that sort of tariff. There were lots of nice places to eat nearby - Try Ruddells Smokehouse for great albacore burritos (but get their early) and Bill & Carols for excellent burgers and the most amazing desserts! - We had really great fun in the surf and the sealife in the early evening was incredible - Pelicans, Dolphins and Seals right off the pier in a feeding frenzy.. Overall it was a superb stay and we would certainly recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family