“Absolutely horrible”
Review of Estero Bay Motel

Estero Bay Motel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Cayucos
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

We've stayed here a few times now and it just keeps getting worse. Bare minimum keep up if any. Rolled the bed down and there is dry blood on the sheets, long dark hair all over both bed sheets. I believe they just turn the pillow case inside out after one stay. Hot water comes and goes if any water comes out at all. Corners of every room are filthy. My 2 year old could have done a better paint job on the one painted wall. The ice maker never worked. It was just a complete waste of money and I'm embarrassed to even post what we spent on one night here. My wife and I will never stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Michael F

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We booked two rooms at this establishment. We got lucky they were next to each other. The rooms were good size. Then you had its fun. In one room there was a couch with questionable stains so I didn't want to sit on it. I didnt also want to take my shoes off because of the disgusting carpet. in one of the room there were two chairs one we grabbed it and it fell apart. Luckly I didn't see any bed bugs.

The appliance ages varied in each room. Oddly one room had two coffee makers. The caulking in the bath tubs were applied horribly. We didn't bother looking for a breakfast at the establishment, we went out instead. The hotel was dated, and had weird design. In one of the rooms the bathroom window was actually broken. The shower curtain rod looked like somebody was hanging off of it. This room was definitely not worth $90 a room. I will definitely be skipping this hotel when I book again in the area.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ThatOneNiko
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Having pre booked for two nights, my friends and I arrived at the motel at about 4pm-5pm. There was no one in the reception and after about 20 minutes of trying to raise someone, one of my party went through to the back of the reception and woke the manager up. He was very laid back and gave us the keys to the room. We had booked a roll-away which we had to ask for, then had to ask for it to be dusted off. The gentleman was very obliging. At this point we were tired and wanted to eat, so we took little notice of dirt, covering the settee with towels so that the dirt did not get on our cases. The electrics were hanging off the wall and the vent was so clogged with dirt we doubted it was doing any good. There was an old microwave in the room but it was in the bathroom area where there was no plug, so would have to be carried to the other side of the room if it indeed worked. The carpets were so dirty we kept our shoes on. We went out to eat then returned just to sleep. Out of the three of us, none slept well, and early in the morning we decided to leave, not even wanting to chance the shower. We rang the organisation with whom we had booked and they rang the hotel who agreed to refund the second night. This was done within a few days. The booking organisation also kindly gave us a 50% refund on the first night for compensation. The rate we had paid was similar to that we had recently paid at a top hotel in Vegas. I would not recommend this motel to anyone, you would be better sleeping on the beech.

Room Tip: Do not take a room in this motel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank L D
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Do not book a room here. Three weeks ago, my husband and I booked a room at the Estero Bay Motel. The location was optimal, it looked cute from the pictures, and the website promised some great accommodations. When we got there, it was a huge disappointment to say the least. "Pure horror" may be a more appropriate way of putting it. The..."lobby"...was reminiscent of a sleazy motel in a made-for-TV movie, and the room...yikes. The tacky color scheme and globs of dried paint on the walls were the least of my worries. I sat down on the highly uncomfortable bed, only to have the broken headboard fall on my lap, fully equipped with jagged staples, splintery wood chips, and a cheap glue job. That's when I noticed the pillows. As we peeled back the comforter to make sure no splinters had fallen on the bedding, I noticed enough course black hair to make a small toupee. Without going into too much more detail, the rest of the room was just as dirty. We immediately decided that we wouldn't stay there, and asked for a refund. Long story short? Sure. We still haven't been refunded. The day after we left, we called to confirm the refund, and the employee assured us that it had already been issued. It is now three weeks later, and the manager is accusing us of having stayed there, and is refusing to refund us. According to him, he has video surveillance from the room to prove his case. Don't get near the place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Anna S
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Don't bother making a reservation at this hotel! Oh, they'll make it - but they won't KEEP it! If someone comes along before you do, they give your room away! Read on - there's plenty of reviews here that say the same thing. We pulled in 5 pm on a Saturday evening and they pretended they didn't know anything about our reservation tho we had a confirmation number and had called the hotel directly. Do you know how hard it is to find another hotel on Saturday night when the weather is perfect and there's a big festival in Morro Bay? It's IMPOSSIBLE! The people running this hotel don't have any integrity or ethics or even any common business sense. My hope is that everyone will just stop staying there even though hotels are few and far-between in Cayucos.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms at this dump
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Deb C
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I reserved this motel for a wedding in town because it didn't cost an arm and a leg and it allowed dogs. By the time I read the reviews, I had already booked and every other place that allowed dogs was full and I was stuck with it.

Do not go into it thinking it will be better than expected. It won't be. The place was old, dingy, and I heard our neighbor yawn several times before finally waking up and stomping around in the mornings. The walls were thin and one of the towels hanging so nicely for us had what looked like urine stains. The maids had to ask us to leave the door wide open as we left so that they could clean since they did not have a key. In fact, when we temporarily misplaced the key and asked for a spare, they notified us that that was the one and only key to the room. How this place survives is beyond me. I must say though that the guy at the front desk was very helpful and friendly contrary to others' experiences. It was also in a really great location a couple of short blocks from the beach access and downtown.

All in all, it was pretty terrible. If I needed a hotel in Cayucos again, this certainly would not be my first, secord, or third choice. However, it did the trick and I survived. Just go into it with low expectations and at least you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Teeny9000
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Had reservations for holiday weekend but when we arrived we were told there were no rooms available even tho there were no cars in the lot, no one in any of the rooms, and the sign said vacancy. The manager denied he had confirmed the reservations from 3 weeks before but didn't know how to answer when I showed him the confirmation email I had kept from the motel in reply to my request for room confirmation. Expedia got us a room at Cayucos Beach Inn (VERY NICE) at no extra cost to us. Estero Bay motel obviously raised it's price for the holiday and didn't want to honor the original reservation.

Room Tip: Check out Cayucos Beach Inn. Clean, dog friendly, all amenities.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Barb N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayucos
Cayucos Shoreline Inn...on the beach
#1 of 7 in Cayucos
Beachwalker Inn
Beachwalker Inn
#5 of 7 in Cayucos

Been to Estero Bay Motel? Share your experiences!