“nice place”

Ranked #5 of 6 Cayucos B&B and Inns
Exeter, California
“nice place”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

nice quiet place, we had one of the suites with the fireplace which was nice. the only down side, there was an old hole in the celing in the bathroom probubly caused by a leak upstairs. It wasn't a deal breaker for us. The price couldn't be beat especially for a saturday night stay. We would definately stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Southern California
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband booked The Beachwalker Inn a couple of days before we stayed, last week, thru something like hotel.com - got a king bed room for $79. The motel was clean and inviting, our room was clean, VERY comfy bed (and I am whiny/picky about hotel beds), had frig and microwave, TWO inviting overstuffed chairs with table, perfect for our wine and cheese snacks before dinner, and, yes, some would say out-dated decor. But it was a great location and we both felt, a great deal. (Breakfast was included but was basic - cold/hot cereals, muffins, bagels, Eng muffins and hot/cold beverages. Was OK.)
Almost sounds like people are describing another place in other reviews! TripAdvisor says this is a Vagabond Inn, which it currently is NOT. I guess because it has the word "Inn" in the name it falls in to the "B n B/inn" category on TripAdvisor but not sure what their definition is, or what qualifies The Beachwalker as such. And someone talks about their entry door as a sliding glass door - we saw none if those! I'd definitely say "give this place a go!"

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank SoCalGal52
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Arrived at 6pm after a long journey. Everywhere I had previously looked up online was fully booked (should have pre-booked) so booked into beachwalker Inn. Should have followed my gut instinct and walked out but we were all tired and needed somewhere to stay for the night. Service beyond
awful. Room dirty. Holes in the blankets. Beds uncomfortable. The worst motel/hotel I have every stayed in. AVOID! I would rather sleep in my car than this dump!

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Bebholl

Travelers are raving about these Cayucos hotels

Oceano, California
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Yes, it is now The Cayucos Inn. Anne Marie was so helpful. Got in late Fri night, my CC was not working, this a prepay Inn. So the checked me in, and I was able to pay in am. Anne Marie was a sweetheart. The Owners were pleasant too. The ONLY problem with this place is paper thin walls, floors, no installation. My neighbors below we're up at 7am. I couldn't sleep in. A+

• Stayed October 2012
San Diego,CA
Reviewed October 9, 2012

10/8/2012
We (Mom, Dad and daughter) stayed at the Beach Walker Inn and Suites last weekend. To say the service was abysmal and the room was unacceptable would be a gross understatement. We were headed to Paso Robles for a wedding and could not find any rooms there or in Templeton as I booked late. So, I looked on the map and the next closest place was Cayucos. This hotel was the only three star hotel left with an available room so I booked via Priceline. (First of all, I am not sure how the rating was three stars but that is something I will take up with http://Booking.com (the Priceline affiliate I booked with.) From the start, I should have been warned as almost all the reviews mention the curt front office people who have zero social skills. PLEASE BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ. THESE PEOPLE ARE BEYOND RUDE AND LACK ALL HOSPITALITY SKILLS. We stopped by the hotel at 11:30 a.m. to check in. We knew we were early as check in is 2p.m. but we were hoping to get cleaned up before the wedding. The front office lady (Embry) said there was nothing available and we would not be able to get in to a room until at least 1p.m. I do understand this...it is how she said it in a completely abrasive and nasty manner which threw me and my family off. However, we were polite and cordial. We decided to leave and visit family at another location to get cleaned up before the wedding. At 4p.m .that day I phoned the hotel to say we would be checking in late and to please save our booked room. The lady on the phone assured me she would. After the wedding we pulled into the Beach Walker Inn at 8:30 p.m. We were directed to our Queen "Suite" we had booked online.
There was no door to our room #116. It was a sliding glass patio door. Okay, different...but we did not want to pre judge. Then we slid the door open. Shock! Dismay! We were transformed to the 1980's with powder blue and mauve decor. The room was musty and the thinning blue industrial carpet was ripped, old and tattered. The beds were so sorely in need of new mattresses that it was laughable. The walls were dirty, the promised "kitchen' which was actually just a compact college dorm refrigerator with a microwave stacked on top was ridiculous.The freezer had so much caked ice that I was not even able to chill the ice packs i had brought for my portable ice chest. (So much ice there was no room. Seriously in need of cleaning and thawing.) There was no way to ventilate the room. If we opened the slider it was unsafe and we risked someone coming in when we slept. The only other window was a very small bathroom window and with that open the upstairs neighbor across the way could see directly in. The bathroom was dirty...the 'breakfast' was a joke of wrapped pastries, some hard bagels with cream cheese and yesterdays coffee. We checked out at 11a.m. the next day after having had zero sleep on the hard beds. So thankful to be leaving this dump. As we were leaving we took a peek at another Beach Walker hotel room that was open for cleaning. Eureka! There was the "suite" we had reserved with a proper kitchen and separate sleeping and seating area that had been booked and promised to us. It was nothing great but at least lived up to the description. At the checkout desk we mentioned that we did not get the Queen Suite we paid for and Embry said she had accommodated us with two beds since we had our daughter. I explained that she did not accommodate us, and that the other room had a pull out sofa which would have been desirable for my daughte, plus the proper kitchen and larger square footage. (We wanted my daughter to get a good night sleep in a separate area since my hubby snores.) Embry's response was that our room was all that was available as there was 'No Vacancy" at the hotel. She tried to scuttle around it by saying we paid the same price for our room vs. the suite. Then at checkout, Embry mysteriously could not give us a close out receipt. Actually, what happened is the classic case of bait and switch. We were promised and confirmed something and then it was switched out when we got there. We have taken this up with Priceline and are very confident we will get a full refund on this booking. Bottom line...stay away from this place but do visit Cayucos. It is a lovely little beach community. A real hidden gem.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank sgearha1
Camarillo, CA
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The other known dog-friendly establishments in Cayucos, a favorite destination of ours, were booked, so I chose The Beachwalker Inn. Regretfully, I did not read the reviews on Tripadvisor, instead embracing a dubious recommendation from some pet-friendly hotel site. I booked the day before our arrival.

Cayucos was a 3-hour drive. A woman appeared at the Inn office and grimly requested my name. With barely a glance at me, she sat down and began staring at a computer screen, an action that describes much of our interaction for the next 10 minutes. She could find no reservation! I handed her my printed receipt showing Friday arrival and Sunday departure. She suggested that I was at fault for using the Internet booking system and said that her more accurate office system (?) showed that I was to arrive the next day (and depart Monday, a work day?). She continued staring at her screen.

I dreaded a 3-hour drive return to our home. I was upset; not a hello nor an apology from her... “So, you’re saying I’m screwed?” No response. My blood pressure ticked up. I noted to her that after I booked my online reservation I was threatened with a charge of one night’s deposit if I didn’t show (or cancel within 48-hours before, impossible) and asked what they would offer me for not having the room they promised. She looked at me and said I was foul-mouthed (the I’m-screwed comment...) and hostile (my building anger from her unrivaled customer service skills). I bit my tongue and said, “Okay honey...” she cut me off and told me that she was not my honey. I was starting to feel like such a bad customer.

I forced myself to calm as she stared at her screen, and I started asking questions (Who owns this place? What’s your name)... all to no avail. She ignored me, picked up a phone and began dialing. I guessed the police, and finally felt some hope. She tried 3 times, all the while staring ahead at her screen, and finally said, ‘Hi Andy’ or something. Her name evidently was Anne Marie. She conversed with Andy and stared at her screen, completely ignoring me. I perceived that she might be talking to another hotel about my plight; she was even so kind as to tell the person exactly how much they were charging us. I started to ask some other basic questions (like, what are you doing and, can I leave?), but she cut me off and said that her hands were tied...

She began to share specifics with Andy: I was hostile... and needed a room for 1 (I quickly corrected her, “Two” - my wife, out in the car...). I injected, “King size bed?” (very important; we’re both quite tall).... and finally “And a dog,” to which she blurted, “You never mentioned a dog!” (she never asked, but that was one reason we were there, theoretically, and nothing on the Rez site asked about dogs, except the footnote about a $20 per dog per night charge. Otherwise, they heavily promote themselves as pet-friendly, which I later discovered was, ahem, misleading).... Finally I told her, rude or not, to stop; I wanted to see the place before committing (It was in Morro Bay, farther from the favorite restaurants we’d planned to walk to in Cayucos). She continued staring at her computer screen as I - baffled and frustrated - exited.

The motel she sent us to looked more ragged than the Beachwalker. Not The Projects, but... The proprietor was very nice. Andy informed me the charge for our dog would be $50. I looked at the room that he was willing to match prices for, but thought that it looked a bit dirty and that the circumstances were too tainted (also, my wife checked online reviews: not too kind). We decided to leave. We drove further south to a Best Western - which offered a less expensive, pet-friendly room - and checked in for 1 night (a much more appealing facility with a $12 per night dog fee).

I called my Credit Card company immediately and noted that Beachwalker might try to bill for one night’s stay (Saturday, more expensive than Friday), because they had us incorrectly down for arriving Saturday, and we never showed that day. As of Monday, they had not. Strangely enough, the alternate motel’s weekend online rates appear far cheaper than those charged by The Beachwalker Inn (What, collusion in Cayucos?).

Hmmm... The best I can hope is to give other travelers pause when considering The Beachwalker Inn.
p.s. - I filed a complaint with BBB, something I've done 3 times in my life (I'm over 50).

Room Tip: Since we found alternative facility, I can not comment on other aspects of this Inn.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank BigFeet16
Corona, California
Reviewed May 26, 2012

You are to be treated worse than a dog is what they meant when they advertised, “pet friendly.” Read every review and decide for yourself.

If you have a pet, you are relegated to the “dog” house. It’s the room in the back down a dark outside hallway at the end of the building with a sliding glass door as your front door. This room has no outside windows and is dimly lit. Aside from the dismal first impression, we also discovered fresh urine on the toilet seat and floor. Wait, there’s more…

The proprietor refused to change our room because that is the “pet room.” Reluctantly, we decided to stick out the remainder of the night and move the next day. Meanwhile, as I began turning on lights and moving furniture so we could watch TV, we discovered something even more disgusting … dog poop!

Again… we went to the proprietor to demand a full refund as we refused to stay there. But he was as blasé as he could be and said, “That’s why we only rent THAT room to people with dogs.” (What about cleaning up after a guest leaves?) After more pleading, he refunded the $30 pet fee ($15 per night) and said we would need to talk to hotel.com/Expedia about our full refund.

We contacted hotel.com/Expedia to tell them what happened at The Beachwalker Inn. Describing our experience, we thought they would be horrified, or at the least sympathetic, but all they did was call the proprietors and ask them to refund our money and of course they said “no.” To add insult to injury, Hotel.com/Expedia would not compensate us either. Now we are in the middle of talking to American Express.

On the bright side, we discovered a wonderful hotel, The Shoreline Inn. It is on the beach and truly pet friendly and more importantly, clean and well managed. It is one we can heartily recommend and return to on our next trip.

So, my only satisfaction is to warn others about The Beachwalker Inn a.k.a. The Vagabond Inn, and make sure to read every review. My bad for not doing so.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Slybar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayucos
Cayucos Shoreline Inn...on the beach
Fireside Inn on Moonstone Beach
Cayucos Beach Inn
Cayucos Beach Inn
#3 of 10 in Cayucos

Been to Beachwalker Inn? Share your experiences!