“It is now The Beachwalker Inn in Cayucos, CA...Advertises as pet friendly, only you will be treated worse than a dog.”
Review of Beachwalker Inn

Beachwalker Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Cayucos B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 26, 2012

You are to be treated worse than a dog is what they meant when they advertised, “pet friendly.” Read every review and decide for yourself.

If you have a pet, you are relegated to the “dog” house. It’s the room in the back down a dark outside hallway at the end of the building with a sliding glass door as your front door. This room has no outside windows and is dimly lit. Aside from the dismal first impression, we also discovered fresh urine on the toilet seat and floor. Wait, there’s more…

The proprietor refused to change our room because that is the “pet room.” Reluctantly, we decided to stick out the remainder of the night and move the next day. Meanwhile, as I began turning on lights and moving furniture so we could watch TV, we discovered something even more disgusting … dog poop!

Again… we went to the proprietor to demand a full refund as we refused to stay there. But he was as blasé as he could be and said, “That’s why we only rent THAT room to people with dogs.” (What about cleaning up after a guest leaves?) After more pleading, he refunded the $30 pet fee ($15 per night) and said we would need to talk to hotel.com/Expedia about our full refund.

We contacted hotel.com/Expedia to tell them what happened at The Beachwalker Inn. Describing our experience, we thought they would be horrified, or at the least sympathetic, but all they did was call the proprietors and ask them to refund our money and of course they said “no.” To add insult to injury, Hotel.com/Expedia would not compensate us either. Now we are in the middle of talking to American Express.

On the bright side, we discovered a wonderful hotel, The Shoreline Inn. It is on the beach and truly pet friendly and more importantly, clean and well managed. It is one we can heartily recommend and return to on our next trip.

So, my only satisfaction is to warn others about The Beachwalker Inn a.k.a. The Vagabond Inn, and make sure to read every review. My bad for not doing so.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Slybar

Reviewed January 15, 2012

There is nothing good about this property except for the location. After that, it's abysmal. The room was coated in grime and there was tons of garbage under the bed! Plus, I got hit with a $15/pet fee upon checkin - which jacked my formerly awesome rate of $69 to $109. I'm slowly learning that "pet-friendly" = we will charge you a ridiculous, arbitrary fee because you have pets.

Good thing this is in Cayucos, the most gorgeous spot in California!

Room Tip: Make sure you don't stay here.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Janine W
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Do not believe any of the good reviews for this place. I trusted some of the better reviews and booked a room for 3 nights for my wife and daughter to celebrate my daughters birthday. The room was dirty and there was a big hole in the wall like the after math of a fight that wasn't repaired. The sink would not drain and the TV would not work. The only "door" to the room was a sliding glass door that my wife struggled with but could not get it to lock.
The worst part of all was that while they were still bringing in their luggage to this room the real tenants of this place were all returning from work. It appears to have become a sort of "flop house" for day-laborers in the area and when they got home they all started sitting in their open doorways to drink beer and yell to one another. They were yelling comments directed at my wife and daughter that were making them afraid to stay there.
They went to the front desk to express their concerns but everything was just brushed aside and they were told that if they left now we would still be charged anyway. They called me at work and I told them if they were afraid to stay there to go find another hotel and we'll have to dispute the original charges for the BEACHWALKER INN with Mastercard which is what we are still in the middle of right now. BEACHWALKER is fighting it since they say we needed to cancel 24 hours in advance. How can you cancel in advance before we knew it would be too terrible to stay in ???
So now I ended up having to pay for 2 hotels even though they never stayed at the first. Do yourself a big favor and DO NOT STAY AT the BEACHWALKER INN.Look elsewhere. They ended up at the Seaside Inn which was very nice.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere in Cayucos for a decent room. We ended up at the Seaside Inn.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Fred M
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The room was decent and the location was pretty good for the price, but I will not return to this inn because of the customer service. It felt like I was bothering the woman who checked us in as she mumbled and grumbled the whole time on the computer. The only words that were said to me as I was standing at the front desk were "I need your credit card and driver's license". Friendly right? Overall I feel like the room was a decent value, but will not recommend this inn to anyone or return because of the extremely poor customer service. If you plan on staying here, do not hold high expectations!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank haleyperkins
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Liked the rooms very much. They were clean and well maintained. I've stayed at this motel over the years and this seems to be consistent. Pertaining to the rooms, I didn't like having a room with a sliding glass door as the entrance to the room. The rooms aren't air conditioned (few are in this part of CA) and I had to leave the screen "open" for it to be cool enough to sleep. This was a little unsettling being here alone but Cauucos is pretty safe so . Ann Marie was wonderful. She should be the owner. She was very helpful and had good advice if any was needed.

On the bad side. There is not enough parking. I wonder if they rent some of their parking spaces. There were more cars there than the rooms they had. They probably allowed more than one car per room. Their "behind the hotel" lot was often also full, requiring parking along the street. They should give out hotel parking signs for hotel guests and no more than one car should be allowed. Guests of guests should have to park in the street. The owner, I think, a male, was completely useless and rude. I hated to ask him anything. He acted as if I should already know what I was asking and my talking to him was an imposition. (Maybe he just didn't like women or women alone?) I quit talking to him and would ask Ann Marie who tried to help as much as possible.

I stayed for a week during the 4th of July holiday, coming in a week before the holdiay. The manager seemed to be totally unprepared for the holiday, especially as far as the parking was concerned and knowing the numbers of people who would be coming into Cayucos. I don't think the hotel was fully booked over the holiday yet the parking front and back was full. It was very frustrating.

I would stay her again only because Ann Marie is so nice and because I could bring my dogs. If I found another place that would take dogs, I would go there. The managers attitude, the parking, and if I found a lower price would send me to another motel.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room in the middle of the motel with a regular door and not a sliding glass door.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2011

We stayed here for one night and it was an awful experience. The room was dirty and smelled musty. Best to look else where. We switched to the Dolphin which was $30 a night less and a much better property. The staff was friendly there unlike the Beachwalker.

• Stayed: May 2011
5  Thank retire2011
Reviewed May 12, 2011

the owners also own the laundermat next door. Most of the machines do not work. They accept your money then then tell you tough luck when they don't start. Rip off!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank retire2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayucos
Cayucos Shoreline Inn...on the beach
Fireside Inn on Moonstone Beach
Seaside Inn Morro Bay
Seaside Inn Morro Bay
#26 of 29 in Morro Bay

Been to Beachwalker Inn? Share your experiences!