“Surprises await you in Cayucos” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Cass House offers a locally sourced, seasonally inspired four course menu that changes nightly. Reservations are required.
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Surprises await you in Cayucos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

This restaurant within a remodeled 1867 home is a surprise, among surprises. The town, on the coast, reminds you of a seaside resort in the 1950's. A funky town with an old house that has a restaurant. However, once in side, you find that you are sitting down in an updated restaurant with a few other tables, and an attentive and knowledgeable staff, who have each been there for a while. The chef was not formally trained, according to our waiter, but he has fooled everyone with his broad array of dishes that include raw, cooked, and unusual. The menu is preset and price fixed, and wine could be paired with the food for an additional $40 per person. The food ranged from a a small salad with beets and greens on a warm goat's cheese that had been softened to a lovely piece of pacific halibut. The meal began with red carrot juice, obtained from a macerating juicer, in a small glass top iced with a fig sugar on the glass rim. Lovely. The food style and presentation reminded us of a Thomas Keller meal at The French Laundry, however, the price was far less, and the meal had a little more deconstruction. I would highly recommend this place for people who enjoy food, both cooked and raw, and with a chef who is making a presentation to please you. Do not miss this restaurant; make sure you make a reservation, since it is well-booked.

Visited March 2014

Paris, France
“Michelin-worthy Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Wow.
My boyfriend surprised me with a wknd trip down to the central coast and included in the surprise is dinner at the Cass House. Knowing how much I freaking love eating, he did his research and booked this gem. As we were walking towards the restaurant from our B&B next to the ocean, I had no expectations whatsoever of a restaurant in a little town like Cayucos. In fact, even as we were seated and was brought the menu, the name and description of the dishes didn't really interest me. What probably brought my expectations even lower, was the fact that we were told it was their only menu (4-course) because it's restaurant month in the area and they're serving cheaper price-fixed menus. It was even weirder because it was a four-course meal but there were 6 items on the menu. But man, once the food started coming in, I was floored!

We started with a butternut squash potage, which came in this tiny tiny bite-sized portion that was similar to a amuse-bouche. It was delicious though and a pairing of ham croquet (fried cubed ham in this case) really added to the otherwise standard concotion....we were just getting started.

Next we had chicken liver country pate, which I believe was the first course appetizer. The pate was pureed and it doesn't have any of the grainy grassy flavour of what you would expect. It was paired with this delicious delicious garden salad, some of it's vegetables were directly picked from their own garden. Even though I don't normally eat half of the type of vegetables served, i ate it all. And whatever that was left of the puree we soaked our bread with it. My mouth is watering thinking about it.

Next came a mussel appetizer. The mussel was deshelled and steamed. Yes you read right, mussel with no plural...haha...it was a tiny dish that is basically one spoon/mouthful. I can't remember now what else was with it, because the champagn pairing was starting to get to me....but i remember the reduction with the mussel was fulll of the right seafood flavours without being fishy tasting.

Then the main course of braised beef shank with root vegetables. The beef was braised in a wood oven for over 10 hours and you can taste the smoky flavour infused in the melt in your mouth beef. Some of the root vegetables were picked from their in-house organic garden as well. This was paired perfectly with a glass of syrah.

For dessert, it was a chestnut cake that was more savoury and not sweet at all, but it was paired with this amazingly thick and syrupy, overly sweet italian dessert wine that went perfectly together. Normally wines this sweet would give me a headache but with that chestnut cake, it was pretty heavenly.

We finished off with some coffee, dried fruits and nuts picked from the in-house garden again. Every single course was a favour to your palate and each of the courses were perfectly fused together.

This restaurant is better than some of the michelin restaurants i've tried in Europe.

Service was phenomenal. The maitre d' who's been working there for years would personally come to our table and tell us about each of the courses and explain and answer any questions we had. My boyfriend and I were having some intense conversations at times, and the servers would notice it and wait until we were done.

This may be my favourite restaurant in the whole world. I can't wait to go back.

• Visited January 2014
San Luis Obispo, California
“Stuffy, pretentious, over-priced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Really, I wanted to like this place. But the menu is bizarre. There are two fixed price options with a list of shared options. The menus are "agrarian" and "hunter-gatherer."

Our waiter was just plain snotty. We chose the wine pairing and then we sat --no offer of a cocktail or anything for about 15 minutes. The portions were small, which was OK because there were so many courses, but some of the courses just weren't that good.

I had a tiny speck of Waygu beef that was bisected by a fibrous band whichI had to discreetly spit it out.

Although it is not the restaurant's fault, some of the other customers were so poorly dressed that it was distracting, like the hugely fat couple in shorts. And the man wore a baseball hat the whole meal.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JonieSue
Los Angeles
“Wonderful Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Had one of the best dinners we ever had. Excellent food, fantastic and gracious service. We weren't sure about this place when we originally looked at the menu online but, the reviews convinced us to try it and we are glad we did.

Basically you can choose one side of the menu so if you are with someone, you can basically try everything on the menu. It was whimsical and delicious. A really special dining experience for us.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank peterlc63
South Bend, Washington
“Wonderful meal and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

The cuisine is very creative and each dish was excellent. The abalone with squid ink was a marvelous first course. The ambiance is very nice and the service first rate. The server was very knowledgeable and happy to share information if asked. It is a fine dining experience and we will definitely return.

• Visited August 2013