“The perfect spot”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Catheys Valley
Rancho Bernardo Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Catheys Valley
Boston
“The perfect spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2009

We travelled in a group of six friends (from Germany - so please excuse some mistakes, that I might make) and rented the "Guesthouse". You have to know, that there is only one bathroom in that house, but I think among friends, there isn't a problem with that. It is a very clean, comforting and relaxing house. Kathy and Barney are very welcoming and caring hosts. Kathy's breakfast is amazing, huge and delicious and the ranch is beautiful. The ranch's beauty together with Barney's pictures and stories made us imagine the cowboys, who once might have been living there.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2006

My husband and I booked a white water rafting trip down the Merced River when planning our trip to Yosemite in July. I searched the internet and found Rancho Bernardo B&B. What a find. We began staying at B&B's two years ago, and Rancho Bernardo has been our favorite yet. We booked the Barn Suite and to our surprise, it really was in the barn! We loved it. The room was clean, quiet and very comfortable. The cleanest barn I've ever seen! Kathy and Barney are wonderful hosts. Kathy is a marvelous cook and hostess. The breakfasts and hospitality cannot be beat. The day we were leaving, Barney asked if we had seen his tackroom. He said it was the room across from the barn suite. We went to check it out. If I hadn't seen the saddles, I would have thought I had opened the wrong door. Let me just say it was the most stylin' tack room I'd ever seen; complete with a leather sofa! I wish I had seen it the first day, because I would have loved for Barney to elaborate on his old wranglin' days. I thought his hobby was golf! I only hope we have another opportunity to return to Kathy and Barney's in the future. I would highly recommend taking the rafting trip down the Merced, visiting Yosemite Nat'l Park and staying at Rancho Bernardo while you're doing it. Thank you Kathy and Barney for sharing your lovely home with us.

Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2006

I don't know of a quieter, more peaceful place anywhere than Rancho Bernardo. Except at breakfast time when we all laughed so hard we must have scared the animals. I don't believe I have ever spent three hours at a meal in my life, but that was a wonderful three hours, indeed. The accommodations are outstanding and we lacked absolutely nothing. We've been there three times now and you can bet we'll be back again and again.

• Liked — Kathleen and Barney Lozares
  • Disliked — That I had to go back home again after our stay
  • Tips/Secrets — Tell all your nice friends, but don't let any creeps know about the place.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
MARSHALL,ILLINOIS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2006

My husband and I recently traveled to Yosemite National Park in California.We had never stayed in a Bed and Breakfast,so we decided to give it a try since it seemed very popular in California.After much research on the area ,I happened onto Ranch Bernardo Bed and Breakfast in Cathey"s Valley California and it spoke of a B&B in a horse barn.I made reservations and when we arrived we were very happily surprised.It was almost like a small apartment with a full bath,partial kitchen and a lovely queen size bed and was actually attached to a horse barn.There was absolutely no smell of horses in the room and you had your privacy along with a wonderful host and hostess.The B&B was spotless and clean with fresh towels and the room was cleaned everyday.We received a snack on the table each day and somtimes it was homemade cookies.The breakfast each morning was fantastic and home cooked with juice, coffee and a breakfast catered to your needs or restrictions.Barney and Kathy (the owners) made you feel very welcome and were gracious hosts and it made your day start out on a relaxed and enjoyable morning.This was the on of our most favorite parts of the day.They gave you ideas where to visit and where to catch a wonderful supper.If you ever get a chance to visit this Bed and Breakfast,I believe that you will enjoy it as much as we did.

1 Thank LABWORK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2005

My husband had been looking forward to visiting Yosemite National Park for quite some time. So I decided to surprise him on his 50th birthday. After spending much time on many different websites I finally found that perfect place! A Bed and Breakfast located in a picturesque setting. Rancho Bernardo. What a find! Tranquil and serene, just what we were looking forward to. We throughly enjoyed ourselves. Getting to know Kathy and Barney also added to the ambience. The breakfasts Kathy served were as delightful as the time we shared getting to know eachother. We look forward to our next visit with our new friends at Rancho Bernardo! My husband Thanked me for his birthday surprise three times during our two night stay. My one and only complaint is that our stay at was too short!

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2005

My husband & I planned a trip to Yosemite for a couple of days after spending a few days at Disneyland and Sequoia National Forest. We were looking for a place off the beaten path and away from the usual tourist lodges and hotels. My husband happened upon the "best find" of all of our traveling days -- Rancho Bernardo! We couldn't believe the wonderful guesthouse apartment located over the garage/workshop. It truly was like staying in the guesthouse at the "Ponderosa". When we arrived we were greeted by Kathy's warm and beautiful smile. Barney & Kathy are truly the most wonderful host and hostess and Kathy's breakfasts were "to die for". We were not only served the most wonderful food, but we also were so blessed to make two new friends and share in their family stories! My husband and I were so disappointed that we only had two nights to spend with Kathy & Barney! We could not believe the peace and serenity that we both felt during our stay at Rancho Bernardo!

Bob & Rita Dirksing
Cincinnati, Ohio

• Stayed September 2005
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2005

On a recent trip to Yosemite National Park in California, we decided to find a place that captured the beauty of the area as well as provide a comfortable place to stay. We searched the internet and settled on Rancho Bernardo. The hosts were the ultimate in hospitality, congeniality, and breakfasts. We have stayed in many bed and breafast inns, but none can compare to Rancho Bernardo. The location is remote and off the beaten path, but it provides indredible views of the mountains and beautiful pastures. The peace, quiet, and magnificent night skies were very much a large part of the overall experience.

The accommodations are not your usual bedroom, but rather a "barn" suite or a guest house that accommodates up to 6. We were two senior couples traveling together so we chose the guest house, a charming little apartment built over a large 2-car garage. The place was immaculately clean and comfortable. The only thing missing for our stay was an extra lamp at each bed, for we are all night-time readers and there was only one lamp at each bed. Also the single bathroom was very tight for 4 adults, but these things were little inconveniences when we considered the many wonderful benefits.

The food and hospitality were the finest. The hosts were very much a part of our 3-day stay. We all shed tears when it was time to leave.

A truly magnificent experience, one that greatly enhances the majesty and splendor of Yosemite.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chateau du Sureau
Chateau du Sureau
#1 of 9 in Oakhurst
Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites

Been to Rancho Bernardo Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!