“Good food, nothing fancy!”
Review of Big Mama's - CLOSED

Big Mama's
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Auburn,CA
“Good food, nothing fancy!”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This place caught my eye at a well traveled intersection and we decided to give it a try. The seating was tables and chairs in an almost cafeteria type setting. We enjoyed the christian music and the service was nice. I had pork ribs with hush puppies and corn on the cob. The ribs were pretty good as were the puppies, but the corn tasted like it was a little water logged. Parking was around the corner and was convenient enough for us. Not sure I would go back with so many other restaurants to chose from, but I did like the "comfort" food, if that makes sense(I love bbq ribs!)

• Visited May 2012

Long Beach, California
“SOUL FOOD IN THE DESERT”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The food was a lot and the price was also good. the only one in palm spring. i have to make sure that on my next visit i remember where this place is....awesome and the service made you feel right a home.

Visited June 2012
Surprise, Arizona
“Had hoped we would love it... WAY wrong!”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We are a mixed couple (white/black) that both love Southern food, soul food, Cajun food, and Caribbean food. So, when we have opportunity, we will frequent such restaurants. But, will not frequent this one again...

We ordered a couple favorite food items, Fried Catfish and BBQ Pulled Pork...each as a main dish. And, each came with 2 sides and cornbread. The Catfish came with Coleslaw and Mac & Cheese. The Pulled Pork came with Potato Salad and Mac & Cheese.

So, out of a total 7 food items between us...on 2 (TWO of 7) were any good. The Catfish was very good, as was the Coleslaw. The Mac & Cheese bowls were about 1/2 full of a cheesy water, they tasted bland and were watery with poor consistency...horrible... The Potato Salad was so extremely dry that you needed a drink between mouthfuls...and after 3, it simply was not worth is because it too was bland on top of being dry. The Pulled Pork came on a plate with 1/2 plate of chopped lettuce and about a cup or more of water/juice on bottom of plate. Lettuce could have been fine with the very good homestyle Thousand Island dressing, but the water in the bottom of the plate spoiled that too.. The Pulled Pork was "Ok" on taste, but too little BBQ and too much fat. The last item, the Cornbread, was non-descript.

The Catfish was $14,95 for 1 filet...was good, but for a zero-ambiance restaurant, this was expensive.

Since the Catfish was advertised to take 20+ minutes to cook fresh, we were prepared for a wait. But, with only 2 other sets of customers, we still had to wat over 35 minutes for our food. We had hoped the wait would be worth it... WRONG!

The service was so-so during the meal...but took FOREVER to get the check, then 5 more minutes to pick up the payment, and another 12 minutes to make change...

NEVER would return and NEVER would recommend. Perhaps our experience was an anomaly, But...it was indeed our experience, and therefore the basis of this review.

P.S. - (We give scores of 5/5, 1/5, and anything between... calling it as we see/experience it....so not just out to give negative reviews... Fully believe in giving accolades where accolades are due... but certainly not due here...)

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Harvey-Priscilla
carlsbad ca
“very good but not GREAT”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

mostly this is my problem. I have a very certain specific pulled pork bbq sandwich in mind every time I visit these places. So far, none have lived up to my memory of this delicious sandwich. The decor was very nice. interesting things to check out on the walls. the service was perfectly fine but not especially 'friendly' the price was fine. The meal was good, I ate every drop. The sandwich could have been bigger, filled more. or at least use a smaller plate. sadly, i guess I will have to return to Memphis Tennessee . to that street fair to find my perfect sandwich again.

• Visited May 2012
Coachella Valley California
“Good Soul Food In The Desert”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I enjoy this place. The food is good and the english accented waiter is very helpful and friendly. Check out the pork chops and fried chicken. The greens are smokey and delicious!!

Visited February 2012