“Second Mediocre Visit - Won't try a third time”
Review of Cello's Restaurant

Cello's Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 135 Restaurants in Cathedral City
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cello's Bistro is a small upscale restaurant: That serves fresh house made dishes. With a Mediterranean style food from Italian,American comfort foods. Featuring House made dressings and deserts
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We had previously gone to Cello's with a group nearly a year ago, and were very disappointed despite the good things we had heard by word of mouth in the community. Of our group of six, three people sent their food back, and two of them said the second try was no better. Understanding that restaurants can have a bad night, we decided to try Cello's again nearly a year later with one of the couples who had come the first night. Everyone deserves a second chance - right? Well, in this case, three of us were satisfied with the food, but one who ordered the crab stuffed trout found very little taste of crab and stated it and the fish was dry. To be fair, the rest of the group enjoyed their dinners - short ribs, pork chop and an eggplant dish.

However, on this occasion the food wasn't the major problem. When we came in with an early (6:00 p.m.) reservation, we were immediately seated next to a very talkative foursome. When we requested to be moved to another table in the nearly empty dining room, the hostess rudely stated that all the tables were reserved and she would not move us. This is hard to understand, considering reservations are for a time slot, not a specific table unless there are names on the tables, which there weren't.

While we wanted to order wine, the waitress gave us menus, then left, only returning after an extended period of time. We finally got our wine and were ready to order, but as we were making our orders, only then did the waitress bother to tell us that there were some specials for the evening - after we had already made up our minds! Isn't this normally done when menus are given out?

Combining one experience of bad food and second experience of rudeness and poor service, I unfortunately won't be going back and can't recommend it.

1  Thank JTAnewport
There are newer reviews for Cello's Restaurant

Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous bloody s served with blue cheese stuffed olives. I ordered the portobello Mushroom topped with a warm quinoa salad. Was scrumptious. Nice presentation. On nice luncheon menu. $12. Grilled chicken ceasar was great too..tasted a friends. Third person in our party ate turkey sandwich lots of nice sides. Overall experience was great.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

The reason for the title of this review is that both my wife and I had dishes that we not only loved but we ate fast. We often eat a small portion and take the rest home. My wife had Caprese Chicken and I had the Short Rib Ragu. The seasoning on each was such that each bite went down smoothly and it was so easy to keep eating - not too much seasoning or too strong a taste as is often the case at finer restaurants. We ate here for lunch and found the prices reasonable and the food superb. The owner also visited our table we and we felt very much at home here. The atmosphere is pleasant although not extravagant but it is our kind of place and we will return.

BonnieCello, Owner at Cello's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thanks, Jack for the positive comments. It was a pleasure having you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I'd never been to Cello's because it's a bit out of the way for me, but was very pleasantly
surprised when I ate there with friends last night. It was a "dog benefit" and we are all dog lovers. I ordered a trout stuffed with crab, green beans accompanying; great to see trout on the menu. The dessert was a bread pudding with a carmel sauce mixed in...yum. The proprietor came to welcome us and ask about our meal, nice gesture. There is some outdoor seating but it's right on the parking lot, so I'd ask for a table inside. Prices are fair, $24 for the trout. Only negative was they forgot to bring my glass of wine...

2  Thank Offthebeatenpath011

Sorry for my delay in responding to your to your review. We really appreciate the positive feedback. We know you have many dining choices in the Valley and we really appreciate your business. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Don't be put off by the strip mall surroundings this relatively new addition to the Cathedral City Dining scene has a very pleasant interior ambience indeed. Friendly and helpful staff. A rather strange combination starter of Shrimp and roasted cauliflower - excellent shrimp but what was with the cauliflower - not complimentary at all and let the meal down somewhat. Opted for the pork chop well cooked flavoured and presented. For a restaurant which gives limoncello lessons, perhaps a more italian feel to the menu would not be amiss. Homemade lemoncello - southern style with a deep yellow colour finished the meal - a very mean quantity I am afraid for $9 - in Europe this would be given to customers as a free digestivo after the meal - a little profiteering here I think but delicious nevertheless. A pleasant meal if somewhat overpriced and I would not eliminate a further visit. Borderline 3-4 star for me but gave them the benefit of the doubt for effort and ambience.

1  Thank Nigel C