We booked two nights at the Welk Desert Oasis Resort online, and drove up from San Diego. Easy drive over Thanksgiving Week. The weather was 65, but the hotel had lots of options to keep everyone happy and busy. The room was great - we had requested a ground floor, pool view room (to get more sun) but we were given room 501. I could not be bothered to go back and ask for a change, so we stayed. 501 is a great room, and would be perfect in the height of the summer. Nice shade in the afternoon from the tree's and building. View is of the parking lot. 506 would be the room I would pick next time, full sun, facing the pool.
I found the snack bar lacking - the staff was great, but the choices were limited. But Desert Oasis is a Time Share - so more people cook their own meals. We were looking forward to the pool side bbq but that was canceled because of the holiday (thanksgiving).
We were also unable to get room service, or book a table at the golf club because of the holiday. (late planing is never a good idea... over holiday weekends).
We stayed two nights, and our room was never cleaned, nor were we asked if we wanted fresh towels or our beds made. I am not sure if it was a Time Share resort, or because we were in our room in the AM.
The family activies are fun. Loved the choice, and costs are low. I wish they would have a afternoon of baby sitting so that parents could do a round of golf, but all in all we enjoyed it very much.
I had a poolside massage. The girls were very nice, and I asked if they were trained, RMT and I was told they were. Well, I have to say.. keep your $20, and don't book their services. Waste of money IMPO. BUT it would have been a nice touch if they were more skilled.
I did find some staff were lacking that "little something" that sets a hotel apart. They were not bad, but no one went out of their way, or made a effort. They showed up for work, and did their job. (I am saying this as someone who has worked in travel for many many many years). Good service goes a long way. The hotel could do with some improvement on that front. Again - it was not BAD service, it was just service.
The hotel had free Wifi, but it was so so so slow, we ended up signing up with At&t 3 G network. Not sure if its Palm Springs, or just the resort.
Would we go back? Yes, we would. Next time I would book further ahead, make sure I had dinner rsvn and bring more food to make on our own.
I think the staff is what is keeping this resort from getting a higher score.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Welk Resorts Palm Springs boasts 350 days of sunshine a year, with an average yearly temperature of 75 degrees. With breathtaking panaramic views of the San Jacinto Mountains, the resort is located 10 minutes from Palm Springs in Cathedral City, California. Swim in a large pool or lap pool, soak up some sun, or enjoy championship golf and tennis at our adjacent Cathedral Canyon Golf and Tennis Club, including a restaurant with locally inspired cuisine. Experience luxurious vacation villa accommodations that include full kitchens, living and dining areas, and private bedrooms with king beds. Activities Center includes fitness room, billiards, air hockey, darts, and Ping-Pong tables with planned activities and classes for all age groups. An arcade is next to the Activities Center. And when you’re ready to explore, nearby Palm Springs offers plenty to see – You won’t want to miss the Aerial Tramway, The Living Desert, Indian Canyons, Knott’s Soak City, Children’s Discovery Museum and Air Museum, world-class dining and shopping, including the popular Cabazon outlet, thrilling casinos, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Expedia and TripOnline SA so you can book your Welk Resorts Palm Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Desert Oasis Hotel Cathedral City
- Desert Oasis Cathedral City
- Welk Resorts Palm Springs Cathedral City, California Desert, CA