“Solid 3.5 star hotel, great choice for families” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Welk Resort Palm Springs - Desert Oasis

Welk Resort Palm Springs - Desert Oasis
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Cathedral City
canada
“Solid 3.5 star hotel, great choice for families”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

We booked two nights at the Welk Desert Oasis Resort online, and drove up from San Diego. Easy drive over Thanksgiving Week. The weather was 65, but the hotel had lots of options to keep everyone happy and busy. The room was great - we had requested a ground floor, pool view room (to get more sun) but we were given room 501. I could not be bothered to go back and ask for a change, so we stayed. 501 is a great room, and would be perfect in the height of the summer. Nice shade in the afternoon from the tree's and building. View is of the parking lot. 506 would be the room I would pick next time, full sun, facing the pool.

I found the snack bar lacking - the staff was great, but the choices were limited. But Desert Oasis is a Time Share - so more people cook their own meals. We were looking forward to the pool side bbq but that was canceled because of the holiday (thanksgiving).

We were also unable to get room service, or book a table at the golf club because of the holiday. (late planing is never a good idea... over holiday weekends).

We stayed two nights, and our room was never cleaned, nor were we asked if we wanted fresh towels or our beds made. I am not sure if it was a Time Share resort, or because we were in our room in the AM.

The family activies are fun. Loved the choice, and costs are low. I wish they would have a afternoon of baby sitting so that parents could do a round of golf, but all in all we enjoyed it very much.

I had a poolside massage. The girls were very nice, and I asked if they were trained, RMT and I was told they were. Well, I have to say.. keep your $20, and don't book their services. Waste of money IMPO. BUT it would have been a nice touch if they were more skilled.

I did find some staff were lacking that "little something" that sets a hotel apart. They were not bad, but no one went out of their way, or made a effort. They showed up for work, and did their job. (I am saying this as someone who has worked in travel for many many many years). Good service goes a long way. The hotel could do with some improvement on that front. Again - it was not BAD service, it was just service.

The hotel had free Wifi, but it was so so so slow, we ended up signing up with At&t 3 G network. Not sure if its Palm Springs, or just the resort.

Would we go back? Yes, we would. Next time I would book further ahead, make sure I had dinner rsvn and bring more food to make on our own.

I think the staff is what is keeping this resort from getting a higher score.

T

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank mladyfred

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

This was our first trip to Palm Springs and it was to celebrate my b'day. We booked a three night stay through RCI Points. My husband and I are in our mid-30's and we were teased a lot by our friends when we told them we were staying at the Lawrence Welk resort! Boy, were they jealous when we got back and told them how wonderful it was!

We arrived at the resort around noon and they had a room ready for us, but since I mentioned it was my b'day and I wanted a second floor room with a view, I told them we would happily wait if there was a matching unit available. They were very happy to work with me and told us to come back in a few hours. We then set out to tour the downtown area and have lunch. We stopped at a Von's on the way back and picked up some food to stock our kitchen. When we got back, we were still a little too early, but they were very happy to take our groceries and store them in their office fridge. Once we finally checked in I was very pleased - second floor with a beautiful view of the golf course and mts. Plus, there was a bottle of bubbly and balloons for my b'day - very nice touch! The unit was very spacious - large, fully stocked kitchen, with actual storage space for food you might have brought. The living room was nice, appointments were updated and in good condition. The bedroom was good sized, the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was huge and the tub/shower combo was larger than average. Lots of storage space.

We did hang out at the pool a couple times and it was nice and quiet. Had a few drinks from the poolside bar. I only used the activity room once - to print our boarding passes. Nice space. All of the staff we encountered were VERY nice and accommodating. We were asked once by the concierge to do a presentation, but she was very understanding when we said no because we already own 8 weeks and were only there for three nights.

Had two wonderful dinners out - my b'day meal at Roy's in Rancho Mirage was spectacular. Their service is top notch and the food is incredible. Our last night we had dinner with our family (who just happened to be down there at the same, not planned!) at Blue Coyote in the downtown area. Delicious Mexican food and the atmosphere was excellent. They saw several of us women were wearing sweaters (it was a little chilly that night), so they sat us a table in the back (the same table Robert Redford sat at a few months ago!) and turned on the overhead heaters - very nice.

Also did the tram and had lunch at their nice restaurant at the top. It was very windy and cold up there, so dress appropriately! A couple of us women took the 20 minute drive to the outlet malls and were very pleased with our shopping experience. Many more outlet stores than we have in Portland, OR! It was also jammed packed with people - who knew we are in a recession! While we shopped a couple of the men played golf at the course there at the resort. My husband is an avid golfer and he was a little disappointed with the course, but was happy to just get out and play during the month of November.

We definitely recommend Desert Oasis and look forward to a trip back soon!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank badney
Buena Park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

When I booked the room here I thought... its gonna be just a room with a bed ..I really didn't expect much. Then when we all walked into our room I was kind of blown away. The room looked really modern, seems like the furniture was recently upgraded. There was sooo much room i couldn't believe it. The rooms have some pretty modern decor, flat screen tv, lots of closet space, and a small balcony with some chairs and a table. The pool isn't all that big, but not so small I could really complain. The only thing I didn't like was the poolside snack-bar. To be honest it looks kind of ghetto. There are hand written signs with prices of their "specials" all over the wall and window. When i stepped up to order there was a guy making food (same guy who took my order) but it was all out on the counter and it just doesn't look sanitary. I just didn't like it. So bring your own food to the pool. They have grills and tables, you're better off doing that. There are plenty of things to do for families with small kids. And the gym is pretty small. Only has a few machines.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank tomegrl7101
Los Angeles. CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

We had a fabulous time. The resort was clean, and small enough to feel intimate, but there was plenty to do. The recreation staff offered activities for all ages, and the poolside snack bar was convenient. Great location, close to Highway 111, with several nearby restaurants and shopping centers. The pool area was spacious and never felt crowded. Our villa was beautiful with a fully equipped kitchen and a spacious bathroom. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank travelingm0m2008
North County San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

We have been here twice with our 2 year old. We are timeshare owners and have decided to use our Welk Resort points for long weekends. But you can book in here without being timeshare owners as well. We are totaly sold on this location. It is clean, friendly and the staff is wonderful. The resort is small but that is what i like about it; there are not a lot of people! I just love having the option of going downtown Palm Springs for a summer nights walk or for dinner or cooking in our room and having a late night dip in the hot tub. Additionally, the resort is Kid friendly with a great activity room and a Soak City near-by. The Golf Club is wonderful as well - nicely tended too and fun for all ages. TIP: Arrive ahead of schedule to get the better room - pool view or golf course view, avoid the parking lot view by arriving early. They also have a smoking wing. Some of the rooms are being up-graded and are very nice! The beds are great!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank nancycand
Yorba linda, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

What we liked: smooth check-in, clean room, compact place and proximity to Palm Springs and a bit longer to drive to Palm Desert. Definitely need a car. Pool area was cozy and friendly.
No-likes: a lot of rooms view the parking lot. We did get moved but to room 402 with a pool view. However, it backed right up to an extremely noisy utility closet and water heater--which we did not know was really bad until coming home after dinner late the first night. Unrelentingly noisey and greatly interfers with sleep. We complained 3 times. The engineer came out but did nothing. The engineers and front desk are well aware that this room is horrible for noise. We had to buy ear plugs to sleep the 7 nights. That definitely was a huge problem and the staff were indifferent. Why dont they just sound insulate the loud closet?????
Given the relative apathy (oh well) of the 3 staff whom we compained to, I would not recommend the place, in spite of what we did like there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank tangogirly
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

We started going here on an RCI trade and then 2 years ago we bought a week here because we are so happy at the resort. The location is great - close to Palm Springs and Palm Desert, shopping, IMAX theatre, etc.

But what we really love is the activity program. It runs every day all day long, crafts, classes, movies, bingo, you name it. We have three small kids and this really helps keep them occupied and the prices are nominal. My kids can play games and do crafts for under $10.

The kitchen is clean and roomy so I am able to cook alot of meals. The pool area is nice and lots of fun.

It is not the newest or fanciest resort. But it feels very welcoming and kid-friendly. And value wise it can't be beat. We are going back again this June and I'm looking forward to it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank gossipbebeh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cathedral City
Holiday Inn Express Cathedral City (Palm Springs)
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Golf Resort Palm Springs

Been to Welk Resort Palm Springs - Desert Oasis? Share your experiences!