This was our first trip to Palm Springs and it was to celebrate my b'day. We booked a three night stay through RCI Points. My husband and I are in our mid-30's and we were teased a lot by our friends when we told them we were staying at the Lawrence Welk resort! Boy, were they jealous when we got back and told them how wonderful it was!
We arrived at the resort around noon and they had a room ready for us, but since I mentioned it was my b'day and I wanted a second floor room with a view, I told them we would happily wait if there was a matching unit available. They were very happy to work with me and told us to come back in a few hours. We then set out to tour the downtown area and have lunch. We stopped at a Von's on the way back and picked up some food to stock our kitchen. When we got back, we were still a little too early, but they were very happy to take our groceries and store them in their office fridge. Once we finally checked in I was very pleased - second floor with a beautiful view of the golf course and mts. Plus, there was a bottle of bubbly and balloons for my b'day - very nice touch! The unit was very spacious - large, fully stocked kitchen, with actual storage space for food you might have brought. The living room was nice, appointments were updated and in good condition. The bedroom was good sized, the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was huge and the tub/shower combo was larger than average. Lots of storage space.
We did hang out at the pool a couple times and it was nice and quiet. Had a few drinks from the poolside bar. I only used the activity room once - to print our boarding passes. Nice space. All of the staff we encountered were VERY nice and accommodating. We were asked once by the concierge to do a presentation, but she was very understanding when we said no because we already own 8 weeks and were only there for three nights.
Had two wonderful dinners out - my b'day meal at Roy's in Rancho Mirage was spectacular. Their service is top notch and the food is incredible. Our last night we had dinner with our family (who just happened to be down there at the same, not planned!) at Blue Coyote in the downtown area. Delicious Mexican food and the atmosphere was excellent. They saw several of us women were wearing sweaters (it was a little chilly that night), so they sat us a table in the back (the same table Robert Redford sat at a few months ago!) and turned on the overhead heaters - very nice.
Also did the tram and had lunch at their nice restaurant at the top. It was very windy and cold up there, so dress appropriately! A couple of us women took the 20 minute drive to the outlet malls and were very pleased with our shopping experience. Many more outlet stores than we have in Portland, OR! It was also jammed packed with people - who knew we are in a recession! While we shopped a couple of the men played golf at the course there at the resort. My husband is an avid golfer and he was a little disappointed with the course, but was happy to just get out and play during the month of November.
We definitely recommend Desert Oasis and look forward to a trip back soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Welk Resort Desert Oasis boasts 350 days of sunshine a year, with an average yearly temperature of 75 degrees. With breathtaking panaramic views of the San Jacinto Mountains, the resort is located 10 minutes from Palm Springs in Cathedral City, California. Swim in a large pool or lap pool, soak up some sun, or enjoy championship golf and tennis at our adjacent Cathedral Canyon Golf and Tennis Club, including a restaurant with locally inspired cuisine. Experience luxurious vacation villa accommodations that include full kitchens, living and dining areas, and private bedrooms with king beds. Activities Center includes fitness room, billiards, air hockey, darts, and Ping-Pong tables with planned activities and classes for all age groups. An arcade is next to the Activities Center. And when you’re ready to explore, nearby Palm Springs offers plenty to see – You won’t want to miss the Aerial Tramway, The Living Desert, Indian Canyons, Knott’s Soak City, Children’s Discovery Museum and Air Museum, world-class dining and shopping, including the popular Cabazon outlet, thrilling casinos, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Welk Resort Palm Springs - Desert Oasis reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Desert Oasis Hotel Cathedral City
- Desert Oasis Cathedral City
- Welk Resort Palm Springs - Desert Oasis Cathedral City/California Desert, CA