“Excellent and Awful!! The five stars is only for the BEEF”
Review of Central Texan BBQ - CLOSED

Central Texan BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed May 4, 2012

This is a difficult review to write because it's the first time I have had such mixed feelings about a place. In order to be totally honest with my review, I must break it up into three sections.

1. I ordered the beef ribs (which are huge prime rib bones with approximately 3x4 cube of the most delicious, fork tender smoked meat on each bone). Mine couldn't have been better and though it was quite expensive, I enjoyed the beef very much. The side dishes were okay, but the beef was the super star.

2. Don, the owner and our server was gruff and not very personable. After he asked what we wanted, he asked where we were from. I smiled and told him we were about 2 hours away. He asked why we were in Castroville and I told him we came to have lunch with him.... which was true as a friend recommended his place. He said, "You must be out of your damned mind!" He was quite serious and sarcastic, and shook his head at us as he served our plates. If there was any humor intended, there was NONE shown.

3. The restaurant: The interior was coated in what appeared to be years of dust. It hung from the lights and photos on the wall....I was concerned that it would fall onto our table. The floor is covered in OLD sawdust. I've been to steak houses that have sawdust on the floor and you can see and smell the difference between fresh and old. This is OLD and I don't want to know what's beneath it. The bathrooms ... well, all I'll say is... use them if it's an emergency... otherwise wait and stop somewhere else.

So.... the beef was one of the best I've ever tasted, but I won't go back to this restaurant again because I'm concerned about cleanliness issues. It's been my experience that what you see in the front of the house is usually cleaner than what you don't see in the kitchen area.

1  Thank -Pikake-too

Reviewed January 24, 2012

A surprise bbq place here in a little town. Away from the Monterey area but worth the drive. This is real bbq, with bark and a smoke ring. Don't expect 1st class tables but the food is worth it.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

Great BarBQue and smoked meats and try the turkey if looking for something new.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

I ordered the pound of prime rib meat to go. It was amazing. The smokey slow cook process of pit BBQ was so succulent and delicious. I ordered four ribs and couldn't believe how meaty they were. Not a hit of fat left after this Central Texas slow cook process. The turkey we ordered has so much flavor, we ate it on sandwiches the next day. It is an amazing experience unlike any other meat cooking. This is meat how it should be!

1  Thank MovingMaven831
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised to have some of the best BBQ brisket. I am typically a pork rib person but I do recommend the beef brisket on this occasion. My son and I stopped in early evening and immediately knew we were in a great restaurant. The owner was behind the counter and certified he was a Texan- in spite of being short in stature. He was a great host- along with his courteous staff. Great food, great service and a perfect setting make this one of our best food ventures. We plan a return visit on our return to Santa Cruz. This is a must do restaurant- one of a kind experience.

1  Thank Cahbanker H