“Excellent lunch---local surprise.!”

Good for: Families with children
Colchester, Connecticut
“Excellent lunch---local surprise.!”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

After traveling up the Pacific coastal highway,we were quite hungry and located this diner in TripAdvisor. It was quaint, offered delicious food, and the service was friendly and efficient. We also learned we had happened upon the artichoke capital of the world. We really enjoyed the local fare and reasonable prices.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank kjesmonth

Prunedale, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Their tri-tip is really good”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

A little pricy but worth it. The decor is cute and servers friendly.

Visited May 2012
Marina, California
“Excellent Food and Courteous Service”
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We use the Trolley Car Rotisserie for our board meeting catering and our Fire District lunches. The food is displayed nicely, and the salads are so fresh. The tri-tip is awesome, and everything I've tried from the dessert to soups are gourmet! The brothers who own is are professional and always friendly. The server is always prompt and thinking ahead of any customer needs. My husband, co-workers and friends are always happy with the food and service when we stop here for lunch.
This place is a gem, and they have always gone above and beyond for service. If I throw an event, I'll be sure to use them for catering if I'm not going to cook it myself.

2 Thank kimmeno1
California
“Yum, Yum, Yum. And did I mention great prices?”
Reviewed September 25, 2010

This is a don't miss restaurant in the Castroville area (a ten minute drive if you're in Marina or Prunedale). I've only had the tri-tip, either as a sandwich at lunch or as a entree at dinner, because it's so good I can't imagine missing it to try another entree. It's slow cooked, tender and juicy with a tangy barbeque sauce. I also love the scalloped potatoes (another "always order") and the apple-jicama slaw. For desert, save room for tasty bread pudding, sometimes apricot, but sometimes peach.

The building itself is a former trolley car (hence the name of the restaurant). So the atmosphere is humble (also, Castroville is a small farming community), but who cares about atmosphere when the food is this good?

Also, the prices are extremely reasonable for the quality of the food. $9.95 buys you lunch (sandwich with a single side) while dinner sets you back a mere $15.95 (tri tip). If you really want to splurge, go for the prime rib at $19.95. Desserts are less than $5.00.

The brothers who own the place and do the cooking have spent decades at some the the fanciest restaurants on the Monterey Peninsula. Imagine, you could eat here two or three times (yum, yum, yum) for what a single dinner would cost on the Peninsula. The Peninsula restaurants might be fancier, but I assure you, the food doesn't taste better.

Try it, and you'll be back for more.

P.S. Having written the above review, I talked myself into going to the Trolley Car for dinner. I had the special of the day--halibut, and the soup of the day, lemon chicken. I wouldn't recommend either. The halibut was overcooked. So stick with the meats and you'll be happier (my husband had the brisket--it was great). Or, at least if you try fish and aren't happy, come back for meat before deciding whether you'll put the Trolley Car on your list of favorites.

4 Thank NowAndThenTraveler