“Best bet Mexican if you don't want to leave Castro Valley”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Los Molcajetes Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 94 Restaurants in Castro Valley
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Decent food and okay portion sizes. My one complaint is about the rice. They put frozen mixed vegetables in the rice and I don't like it. Salsa is good, though usually not spicy.

Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

Me and wife and 5 month baby whent had lunch there
Food was exellent and service too. The only problem that
I seen a ghost inside. she was a blonde lady sitting in the corner table
It was scarry but guess its not the fist time it happens.

2  Thank eaglevie
Reviewed October 10, 2008

My friend and I ate at Los Molcajetes for the first time this evening. Upon walking in the door we saw the the wide variety of Mexian beers and sodas in their display cases.

We were promply invited to sit where we wanted, and a waiter quickly dropped by to give us menus and get us started with something to drink.

I ordered the Negra Modelo beer which never disappoints and my friend ordered the horchata (rice-based sweet drink with cinnamon) which was very delicious. The chips and salsa arrived before we could finish reading the several-page menu. We were given an option to order, but asked for more time.

We enjoyed the chips and salsa while perusing the menu, but the salsa didn't seem quite up to par to me and I couldn't put my finger on it. Upon further tastes I concluded that its base flavor tasted like canned tomato soup. Would they really do that? Who knows. The salsa was okay, but the soup taste kept distracting me.

The waiter arrived in perfect time to take our orders. Since this was our first visit, we ordered specials and an appetizer platter. I ordered the carnitas and my friend ordered the Milanesa (beef pounded flat, breaded and fried).

The large appetizer platter had fried zuccini, a chicken and a beef mini chimichanga, potato skins with cheese and REAL bacon chunks and jalapeño poppers with ranch dressing for dipping. I thought all the appetizers were satisfactory, but none of them were worth writing home about.

Then the specials arrived. They too were served on the huge metal platters and the serving sizes were off the charts. The Milanesa special had two large Milanesa slabs and the carnitas were oversized as well (no complaints, by the way).

Included on the platters were the expected rice and beans. The flavor of the beans reminded me of the days back in high school when I was an exchange student in Mexico... quite tasty. The platters also included an ice burg lettuce salad topped with dressing of choice (the usual American standards) and adorned with several tomato slices.

Overal we were very pleased with our meals. The wide variety of authentic menu items gave us reason to explore more; the food overall was very tasty, and the service was very friendly and professional.

3  Thank szgage