“Crickets in our room!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Castaic
Portland
“Crickets in our room!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2009

We will not stay at this property again.
When we arrived, the desk clerk argued with us about our reservation (even though we had a confirmation number and a printout of our internet booking.) We had trouble understanding his English, and he ours.
We had bugs in our room that made noise all night, not anymore than the guests on either side, however. The walls are very thin, it sounds like the nextdoor toilet is flushing in your room.
When we reported the crickets, the desk clerk, who was at least friendly, was VERY unconcerned. "Oh yeah we've been having a lot of trouble with them this year"
The room was minimally clean. We would not shower there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bugs in the room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danicks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
awolery
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2008

FIrst may I start out by saying, their website is NOTHING like what you end up with there. We had a wedding in the area and blocked 4 rooms for the family. When we arrived, we were greated kindly and taken to our room. My husband and I entered our room and immediately noticed the HORRIBLE smoking smell (in a NON-SMOKING HOTEL). As my parents, aunt and uncle, and another family entered their room, they were also greated with smoke. My parents found cigarette butts in their room, as well as a used cigarette packages. My aunts room had trash in their drawers, and used towels on the floor. When we pulled back the sheets in our room, we noticed HUGE holes (some of which were OBVIOUSLY caused by cigarette burns). We all immediately left our rooms and returned the the front office to share that we were unhappy and wanted a refund. The individual on duty could not give us a refund and indicated that the manager would be in the next morining to handle the situation. After NUMEROUS calls the next morning, we finally spoke with the manager. He was very rude, and acted in a very inappropriate manner. He even went as far as saying that my father (whom was speaking to the manager on the speaker phone) got "his money's worth with the hooker for 15 minutes." So either he is refering to my mother, or perhaps the group of kids who were joining him. VERY INAPPROPRIATE. Many other things went wrong. We ended up checking into the Courtyard Merriott by Magic Mountain. It was only $25 more a night, and WAYYYY worth it!! WE are still fighting to refund out stay.

• Liked — Absolutely NOTHING!
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank awolery

Travelers are raving about these Castaic hotels

Las Vegas, NV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

Me and a bunch of my friends decided we would go to Six Flags for my Birthday. We ended up choosing Days Inn to stay seeing as it was close to the park and cheap. I made the reservations for four rooms and asked for all the rooms to be next to each other. The person who was taking the reservation said their would be no problem with this and assured me we would all have rooms next to each other.

I was not their for check in. A wrong turn on the freeway kept me from being there but my husband told me their was no problems with the staff. We then proceeded to Six Flags, had fun and after an exhausting day wanted to go back to the hotel and sleep.

Getting back to the hotel room I noticed it was difficult for my husband to park our Chevy Avalanche in their parking spaces. If that is even what you would call them. Only a Mini or a motorcycle could fit in these spaces and we had THREE trucks we needed to park. Needless to say, two of the trucks parked down the road.
We then decided we would play some games in one of the rooms. Some of the people had to go change and as they walked off I notice are rooms were all scattered when I distinctively asked for all the rooms to be next to each other. I was not a happy camper.

Got into the room. Room was okay. Carpet was decent as was the curtains and bedspread that looked like it was from the 60's. Bathroom was okay too. Nothing too fancy but for the price I didnt expect it. During our games, I got thirsty so I went to grab a coke that my husband had put in the fridge 5 hours prior to our return. The coke was not cold. Whats the point of having a fridge in the room if it doesnt work. Decided it was a long day, didnt feel much like complaining so I just went to bed. The pillows were very comfortable by the way. The next morning we left. I would recommend this place if you have a compact car and dont mind hot drinks.

• Liked — Comfy bed
  • Disliked — Small parking spots, fridge didnt work
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
Las Vegas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

I needed a hotel for one night near Magic Mountain and since the nicer hotels in the area were booked, I decided that for one night I would just pick the cheapest room at a chain motel, that way I should be able to expect some minimum standards at least. While not terrible, my stay at the Days Inn in Castaic will be my last at any Days Inn for quite some time, if not forever.

The motel property is cramped, with no parking area for check in. You either leave your car blocking the driveway or try to squeeze it in next to the manager's boat (no kidding) in the guest parking area. The general parking spaces were more suited to Mini Coopers or motorcycles rather than the assortment of SUV's and minivans that tried to squeeze into them.

At check in, you are informed that you will not get your credit card receipt until you check out. They hold that little piece of paper hostage to make sure they get their cheap little room key back. Failure to return that piece of 1970's technology will result in a $5 charge to your credit card. Just leaving said key in your room will also result in a $5 charge. I guess they really just want to see your non-smiling face at check out.

On to the room, it was your standard plain room with 2 queen beds. I didn't look too closely at the bedding, or underneath the beds. Don't ask, don't tell. The carpet was appropriately generic but seemed to be in decent shape, as was the other furniture. My attention was drawn to the several rather large gaping cracks in the ceiling and walls where the joints met. I guess this was probably from the last earthquake (back in 199?). I also was drawn to the very poorly repaired 3 x 3 hole cut into the wall that backed up to the bathroom. Evidently plumbing repairs were made by someone with rather large tools?? Anyway, the repair job looked like it involved superglue and duct tape, but at least there were no gaps there. They must have repaired the plumbing better than they did the walls because there were no issues with the toilet, which was on the other side of that huge cut out.

The room did have a microwave and small refrigerator, which you will not forget about because it hummed and rattled rather loudly all night long. It sounded like a jet engine at take off when it was running.

The lighting was weird. The lamps on the wall between the beds were unplugged when we first arrived. The lamp on the dressers had the switch on the cord, which was hidden behind the dresser. The room's main ceiling lamp was very dim and worked on a motion detector. I turned that damn thing off right away as I didn't want it going on if I rolled over in bed during the night. Ditto for the motion sensor on the light above the sink/mirror in the corner.

The bathroom exhaust fan didn't work, but the heater worked too well. You had to run it for a little bit and then turn it off unless your were baking a cake in there.

Showers: The Waterpick shower fixture would have been a nice feature, but it was stuck in the normal position only. When I finally got it to give me a little pulsing spray, I couldn't get it to return to normal. Tough luck for the next guy, sorry. And you better get up early (which won't be tough when you read further down), because the hot water runs out fast. I took my shower at 9:30 and the hot water ran out in less than 10 minutes.

Your night's sleep:
Assuming you can sleep with the buzz saw refrigerator and motion lights, you had better pray for nice weather during your stay. I was jolted awake at 6am by what sounded like a gun shot. BANG! I waited for the sirens to come, but none did. About 10 minutes later I heard the bang again, and being awake this time, I noted a metallic quality to the sound. The bangs continued at a sporadic rate for the next 3 hours, sometimes only one and other times 10 or more in a row. I lay awake trying to guess what the source could be. My final guess was an auto body shop might be behind the motel. While I was jumping out of the cold shower later I heard the bang again, and realized that it was coming from the non-working bathroom exhaust vent. There was some piece of metal on the roof that was blowing in the wind. NOW I was irritated because this WAS the fault of the motel and not something beyond their control like noisy neighbors.

Upon checkout, the clerk asked me "Just one night?". I replied that he couldn't PAY ME to stay another night and told him about the wind chime that I had listened to for 3 hours. He said he was sorry, but it was "too windy" to go look at it. DUH, that is what was causing the noise. Anyway, I gave them back their precious key and got my credit card receipt.

I would advise you to sleep in your car rather than take a room at this Days Inn.

• Liked — close to Magic Mountain
  • Disliked — Just about everything except the location.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank desertdog999998
northern california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2007

My family and I were planning a trip to Magic Mountain. There were five of us in our party, 3 teenagers, my husband and myself, so it was important to find something affordable and that could accommodate all of us. The motel was located only 5 miles from Magic Mountain and there were restaurants and a Ralphs Supermarket nearby. We had a room with 2 queens and a rollaway bed. The price was affordable at $80.10 (with AAA discount) plus $15/nite for the rollaway. The room was very clean. The shower looked brand new. There was a fridge and a microwave and in room coffee. I was surprised at how quiet it was... I never heard any water running or people from the other rooms. The rollaway bed just barely fit into the room...we had to squeeze it into the walkway between the beds and the dresser where the tv was. I did notice two doors down from us was a much bigger room that would have accommodated the rollaway much better. But we made due and just folded it up during the day. Don't bother with the continental breakfast. It was the usual coffee, juice and packaged danish. All in all I was very happy with the room and would stay here again.

• Liked — Nice clean shower and a quiet room.
  • Disliked — Tight fit for the rollaway bed.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lake Arrowhead, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2007

We saw it as soon as we entered our room (#130). The tub/shower had one of those shower curtain poles that arcs out away from the tub rim a few inches. But the pole had been mounted far too high. The bottom edge of the shower curtain was about an inch above the tub rim, and hung out over the bathroom floor. Every drop of water that struck the shower curtain would go straight onto that floor.

And it did! After one shower, the water was lapping at the dressing area carpeting.

A hasty call to the office brought a big pile of towels to soak up the small flood. This must be a daily occurrence. We had just enough towels left over to replace the towels that fell off the wobbly, tilting towel rack and into the toilet.

The weird thing about it is that the manager had no idea these problems even existed. Now, here is a manager who does not periodically inspect his rooms!

Overall, we found Days Inn Castaic clean, if a tad shabby, with clunky furniture that looks like it came straight from 1313 Mockingbird Lane. Skip the complimentary "breakfast" and consider Café Mike (aka Mike's Café) just across the street. It's an old greasy spoon diner frequented by truckers. Café Mike is not for everyone, but if you like stick-to-your-ribs truck stop food, this is your place.

Central Castaic is a noisy little town. The main street is lined with idling diesel trucks and reefers. You'll find nicer accommodations (accompanied by higher prices, of course) in Santa Clarita, ten miles south (but even closer to Magic Mountain amusement park).

• Liked — Price (special, deep discount)
  • Disliked — Poorly mainteined
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aa6kc
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2005

I stay at this hotel everly weekend because I teach in Santa Clarita. It has always been clean, and well-maintained. The clerks are courteous and professional. I usually book through Travel worm or Hoel and never have had any of the problems listed in the other reviews.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castaic
Hilton Garden Inn Valencia Six Flags
Hampton Inn Los Angeles/Santa Clarita
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#2 of 3 in Stevenson Ranch

Been to Days Inn Castaic Six Flags Magic Mountain? Share your experiences!