“Best in the West”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This place has the best steaks EVER. Their menu includes appetizer tray, soup, salad, seafood cocktail, choice of entree and a side with dessert all for one price. Their grilled artichokes for an appetizer are to die for and any of their steaks are excellent. Out of the way but worth the drive.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I heard about The Hitching Post from the movie Sideways which made me a bit skeptical that it could be a tourist trap. Thankfully when I visited the restaurant it was awesome! When you visit the Hitching Post you should expect to feel full when leaving and have some leftovers. When I visited I ordered the Rib Eye steak which was a ridiculous 24 ish ounces and split it with someone. They are also really cool and let you add additional sides, etc., so spillting that steak turned out to be a good idea. After it was all said and done I still had about 10oz to take home with me! Overall the staff was very friendly, they seated us promptly, the house wine was delicious and I can't wait to come back.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Debating who has the better BBQ, Hitching Post or Jocko's, is a popular topic here on the Central Coast. I just know I'm thrilled to have both close by. I travel all over the world, and these two gems are better than any Mortons/RuthChris/expensive chain place I've been to.

The Ostini family provides a fun, comfortable setting to enjoy wonderful BBQ. The staff is friendly and the food is tremendous. I recommend the Artichoke appetizer, world class.

You can't go wrong with anything on the menu.

1  Thank cbo49r
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I love eating at the Hitching Post. The food is always perfect. Everytime I have visitors the first place they want to go is the Hitching Post.The Baby Back Ribs, Steaks and Halibut are fantastic. The seasoning on them is perfect. I am not much of a beef eater so I eat the Shrimp, Yum! It is done on the grill and it tastes like lobster. They always have great food, but it gets loud as more people arrive. The place is always busy so we try to get there by 5:00PM. We have many restaurants in the Santa Maria area, but no one can compare with the Hitching Post. The Hitching Post in Buelton is not half as good to me. The service is always good at the Casmalia Restaurant.. The atmosphere is cowboyish, but fun and they have some of the biggest Koy i've ever seen in the back outside.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

The Hitching Post I in Casmalia, CA (or HP 1 as my friends and I like to call it) is a great steak house located literally in the middle of nowhere. In fact it's so remote that by all logic it has no right to exist. I first found out about HP 1 after playing golf at Marshallia Ranch (Vandenberg AFB). We weren't familiar with the area and inquired in the Pro Shop about a good restaurant. Without hesitation they said HP !. This was on a Wednesday afternoon in the summer so we figured there would be no crowd. Wrong! It was full but they put us in an area where we could sit with others w/o reservation. We had to wait until the last seating had been served, around 10:00. But it was worth the wait. Their libations are liberal, their steaks are scrumptious, their wait staff are attentive and helpful and it's just an all around fun place to eat. But remember HP 1 is a steak house and this is Cowboy Country. Don't try to get fancy. HP 1 is in a ram shackled 100+ year old buiding. Casmalia is a town? of about 50 including goats, cats and dogs located at the end of a two lane street.. I golf in that area 3 or 4 times/year and always make it a point to have dinner there. BUT REMEMBER, MAKE A RESERVATION. It's busy winter and summer.

1  Thank LHANN2013