“All new and fresh now! Very nice for a change!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Carson
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Carson
phoenix
“All new and fresh now! Very nice for a change!”
Reviewed September 24, 2006

Still have sorry hotel room phone service, always get a busy sig anytime I try to call, Internet is a joke @$10 a day, BUT this place is all brand new and in a GREAT location as far as daylight hours go. Remember you are two blooks away from COMPTON so go on over to the GIANT Del Ammo mall to party. All rooms are HUGE for a low cost high rise hotel, and now with a total strip out and remake of the entire hotel, the rooms are fresh and sunny! I stayed thier in 2002 and thought it was a crack house.... Now the security is better than the white house, and this place is shining! No room service after 11pm but a 24 hour jack in the box in the parking lot next door. I got my groups rate at $99 for a weekend... great value, plus in 10 min you can be sitting on the Queen Mary having coffee in the early morning fog!

• Liked — fresh new furniture and bedding, very sharp and crisp!
  • Disliked — no room service after 11pm
  • Tips/Secrets — remember to stay inside at night, or if you want to shop and eat, go to Del Ammo mall 15 min away, You are in COMPTON !
  • Stayed September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 2, 2006

Currently staying at DoubleTree in Carson. Was very surprised when I arrived that the internet charges were either $9.95 a day or $44.95 per week. What a choice! Was able to get around these charges by using AOL at $1.00 per local call. Other than that though, the beds are very comfortable, the restaurant with Chef Ernie's specials were excellent.

Stayed March 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NC
Reviewed November 21, 2005

Traveled to the area on business. Had not been there before. Would not stay there again. I did not have a good feeling of security in the area - hotel security seemed fine. If you have to stay in Carson, CA, this is the best there. Business associates recommended Torrance hotels.

The hotel is generally run down. The food is absolutely terrible. The staff is not helpful.

Stayed November 2005
2 Thank PageantGuru
California
Reviewed October 7, 2005

Recently, I had to find lodging in the neighborhood due to my home being exterminated for termites, and I chose this place, because it was so close to home. I was quite surprised to read a recent review about Carson being so far from Long Beach, and it being a boring town. This may have been the perspective of that traveler; however, Carson has one of the counties largest outdoor arenas-the Office Depot Center, and there are many sports and entertainment events that are taking place year round. Another thing about Carson is that it is centrally located in the South Bay area.

I thought that I would give the Doubletree hotel a try, because I know that it has changed names and had some renovations over the last year. The rooms are okay for the money, and I have no complaints. Before I forget, those cookies were very good. Also, I had an event at this hotel in April, and used the restaurant for a prayer breakfast. The service was good, but the food could have been better. I was a little disappointed, because I have had my club's Christmas luncheon at this location for the last 3 years, and it was great; however, it was under different management. I will have my Christmas party here in December, and I will update you on the food.

This hotel is only 3 to 5 minutes away from the city of Long Beach, and it is about 10 minutes from the Long Beach Airport, which is actually located in Lakewood. What is good about this hotel's location is that it is at the 405 freeway's exit of Carson St., so there is no problem finding it, and this freeway is taken to get to Los Angeles Airport, Long Beach Airport, and to John Wayne Aiport in Orange County.

Less than 1/2 mile from the hotel is the South Bay Mall, or some call it the Carson Mall. It is currently being updated; it has a couple of department stores, smaller stores, Target, and Ikea. And, there is a Tony Roma's in front of the mall. Across the street is another family restaurant-the Sizzlers. Other restaurants in the area about 1 mile west on Carson Street, Baker's Square. Or, if you go a couple of more miles you will be in the small, but quaint downtown Torrance. If you go there, you have to eat at La Capilla's Mexican Restaurant, and afterwards, you must visit Torrance Bakery. Many folks who live here do not realize that downtown Torrance is in its location, that's because about 3 miles from the old downtown Torrance, accessable via Carson St, is a large retail area, Del Amo Mall, and a restaurant plaza on Hawthorne Boulevard.

If you are staying at the Doubletree on a Thursday, there is an open air, farmer's market in the the next parking lot over.

Oh! It is true that we do have an industrial area and we do have oil refineries, but that is certainly not all that the City of Carson has to offer.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank patti-anns-place
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 5, 2005

Plusses:

Excellent room service, excellent inobtrusive staff -- always on hand to help out. Excellent for business travellers. Nicely decorated and clean.

Minuses:

If you're planning on a Long Beach getaway, be warned that this hotel is nowhere near Long Beach. Carson itself is a dead boring industrial town (oil refineries), so stay here only if on business or if you plan to drive/taxi.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Barnstaple England
Reviewed May 19, 2005

We spent 7 nights here and the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. The room was bright and spacious, clean and well maintained. The staff were pleasant and we would definitely stay here again on future trips to LA. We ate in many local resturants (IHOP, Denny's, Mac D's) and shopped in the local food markets. At no time did we feel uncomfortable. We found the hotel to be in a good spot for driving in any direction. My only moan would be that I like to swim daily and the pool was locked untill gone 8am by the time the pool man had finished and we were on our way out for the day by then, so I missed my early swim.

• Stayed May 2005
2 Thank kimkie
Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed April 6, 2005

I stayed on a Wednesday night; I'm a HHonors gold member.

The hotel itself is showing its age. The elevators, carpets, etc. are all a little old, and the in-room furnishings (except the bed) are late-80's vintage. (The bed was brand new and very comfortable...some kind of "Dream Sleep" mattress or something like it.) My bathroom countertop had a cigarette burn on it that looked to be several years old. On the bright side, the hotel had a "excuse my dust" sign that said renovations were in progress through 4/15/05...maybe they'll do room interiors.

The staff was wonderful, attentive and very service-minded. I got my check-in cookie (mmmm) but no bottled water in the room (possibly an oversight, or maybe not a Gold perk in Doubletrees). They also comped my breakfast, which was either $9 off the menu (would buy pretty much anything) or a buffet with omelets to order.

The neighborhood was "iffy"...I wouldn't be afraid to walk around after dark, but I wouldn't buy a house there either...it's a blue-collar community that's been there for quite a while. In LA you'll have a rental car anyway, so you can drive whereever you want...I don't think anyone comes to the LA area to visit Carson. Anyway, there were a couple of restaurants within walking distance (3 blocks or less) and plenty if you get in the car. I'd stay here with my wife and child with no worries.

Parking is free, which is cool. You're *right* off the 405 and about 10 minutes from LAX...no worse than 30 minutes even in the worst traffic. If you're catching a morning plane out and the Hiltons up north are full, this place is worth considering. It's not my first choice in the area, but I will be staying again. I had reservations already set up, and after my stay, I'll keep them and likely make more (when the LAX Hilton family is full).

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank squirrelpaws
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carson
Motel 6 Carson
#3 of 5 in Carson
Harbor
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Carson? Share your experiences!