“Excellent for business travellers”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Carson
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Carson
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 5, 2005

Plusses:

Excellent room service, excellent inobtrusive staff -- always on hand to help out. Excellent for business travellers. Nicely decorated and clean.

Minuses:

If you're planning on a Long Beach getaway, be warned that this hotel is nowhere near Long Beach. Carson itself is a dead boring industrial town (oil refineries), so stay here only if on business or if you plan to drive/taxi.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Carson

Reviewed May 19, 2005

We spent 7 nights here and the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. The room was bright and spacious, clean and well maintained. The staff were pleasant and we would definitely stay here again on future trips to LA. We ate in many local resturants (IHOP, Denny's, Mac D's) and shopped in the local food markets. At no time did we feel uncomfortable. We found the hotel to be in a good spot for driving in any direction. My only moan would be that I like to swim daily and the pool was locked untill gone 8am by the time the pool man had finished and we were on our way out for the day by then, so I missed my early swim.

• Stayed: May 2005
2  Thank kimkie
Reviewed April 6, 2005

I stayed on a Wednesday night; I'm a HHonors gold member.

The hotel itself is showing its age. The elevators, carpets, etc. are all a little old, and the in-room furnishings (except the bed) are late-80's vintage. (The bed was brand new and very comfortable...some kind of "Dream Sleep" mattress or something like it.) My bathroom countertop had a cigarette burn on it that looked to be several years old. On the bright side, the hotel had a "excuse my dust" sign that said renovations were in progress through 4/15/05...maybe they'll do room interiors.

The staff was wonderful, attentive and very service-minded. I got my check-in cookie (mmmm) but no bottled water in the room (possibly an oversight, or maybe not a Gold perk in Doubletrees). They also comped my breakfast, which was either $9 off the menu (would buy pretty much anything) or a buffet with omelets to order.

The neighborhood was "iffy"...I wouldn't be afraid to walk around after dark, but I wouldn't buy a house there either...it's a blue-collar community that's been there for quite a while. In LA you'll have a rental car anyway, so you can drive whereever you want...I don't think anyone comes to the LA area to visit Carson. Anyway, there were a couple of restaurants within walking distance (3 blocks or less) and plenty if you get in the car. I'd stay here with my wife and child with no worries.

Parking is free, which is cool. You're *right* off the 405 and about 10 minutes from LAX...no worse than 30 minutes even in the worst traffic. If you're catching a morning plane out and the Hiltons up north are full, this place is worth considering. It's not my first choice in the area, but I will be staying again. I had reservations already set up, and after my stay, I'll keep them and likely make more (when the LAX Hilton family is full).

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank squirrelpaws
Reviewed March 13, 2005

We stayed here on our family vacation. The beds were great, rooms and lobby area beautiful. It is a business hotel so others staying here were quiet which is a good atmosphere for a vacation. I don't agree with the other 1 star review - we found it to be a great place to stay and because it is located in a business area we didn't expect to walk out and around this area, we drove to tourist areas as planned; we knew what we were buying, and it fulfilled our expectations. The staff was accomodating and friendly which always makes the stay nice. We like Hilton/Doubletree properties.

• Stayed: November 2004
1  Thank WCTMinnesota
Reviewed January 30, 2005

I read the review about a "scary location" and I do not agree. I had no issues with the location, the amenities, or prices. All were ok - not the best - but definitely OK.

The one thing I had issue with was the recent switch of the hotel from Hilton to Doubletree. Reservation lookup and check-in were slow, but once we got in, everything was fine.

I would stay here again...seemed like a good place for the area and the price.

• Stayed: January 2005
3  Thank EricElliott1971
Reviewed February 16, 2004

This is the place to be if you enjoy being in a terrible neighborhood (scary even), being close to nothing, and enjoy a noisy, old, crummy hotel. Other than that it was fine!

5  Thank wanderlust114
A TripAdvisor Member
City, State
Reviewed June 25, 2003

The staff at this hotel are exceptional. I recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Carson area. You will be thouroughly pleased!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carson
Hampton Inn Los Angeles / Carson / Torrance
Miyako Hybrid Hotel
Miyako Hybrid Hotel
#2 of 20 in Torrance
Best Western Plus Avita Suites

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Carson? Share your experiences!