“Good hotel”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Carson
Detroit, Michigan
“Good hotel”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

One night stay for business. Improved since my previous stay several years ago. Disappointed by the food in resturant. Meal was not hot. No problem with the food just served cold. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
milton keynes
Reviewed June 13, 2012

First of all you get a welcome cookie on arrival - there is a starbucks counter open until 11pm and theres a 24 hour shop for snacks. Room service has a fair few options; the bathrooms are huge and the beds are really really comfortable. The view at night is slghtly nicer than by day, as its the more industrial part of LA, but the skyline is still good looking when you don't know what it is! But do NOT stay here if you want a tourist trip around LA, especially without a car. You are an hour in a cab from west hollywood; its too far out for any kind of tourism or night life. The bus would take about 2 hours. But if you need to be in Carson for any reason, then stay here. It's worth the money - its a beautiful hotel. Breakfast was fairly cheap and you had literally unlimited options of what to eat.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Bellaghy
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I had booked out of the Best Western in Galleria so in comparison when I walked into the immaculate double queen room in the Doubletree it was the difference between a diamond and a lump of coal. Really clean with a big 40 inch LCD screen and nice soaps and shampoos and it was a non-smoking room so a really good first impression. With the combination of jetlag and a lousy nights sleep in the best western I was looking forward to a comfortable nights sleep and yes while the bed was great als the racket from the 405 freeway lets the hotel down very badly. The double glazing, if that is what it is, has to be the thinnest I have ever seen and would need to be considerably beefed up to eliminate the constant noise. This resulted in the loss of one star in my eyes as I like to feel refreshed after a nights sleep and not like I had gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.

The breakfast is acceptable if a little expensive and the only critic is that it is the same every day no variety and also fairly limited in terms of cooked items. Waitressing staff were exceptionally good and there was minimal delay between sitting down and being asked what hot drink was required.

I ate in the hotel on one night and the food again was pricey for what I found to be just about acceptable cusine. There were very few people in the restaurant and perhaps this should have served as a warning. Again staff were friendly and efficient. The loss of a second star was therefore due to food quality.

I did not use the pool or other facilities so will not comment. Overall not bad but when the refurb was being conducted some effort to sound proof rooms with a view on the freeway would have been good. I would actually rate at 3.5 if allowed but it is not 4 star at $160 per night.

Room Tip: Avoid the freeway side of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Wind Lake, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed 2 nights this past weekend at the Doubletree. I can't say enough about it. ALL the staff encountered were beyond pleasant...from the front desk, to housekeeping, to the woman at the lobby coffee stand. Everyone was so helpful. Asked for suggestions in the area for restaurants and casinos and the staff was more than happy to help. I called the front desk to request toiletry items, and they were delivered to my room within 2 minutes! Now that is great service! Rooms were comfortable and clean. Bigger than most hotel rooms I have stayed at.
We didn't use the pool or eat at the hotel, so I can't comment on that. The business center was an added bonus to print our boarding passes, and the warm chocolate chip cookies are the BEST!! Thank you for a very pleasant stay!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed May 11, 2012

After a long day that ended with a midnight check in. When asked if I could have a King size bed, the women replied, "Sorry Boo, I don't have anything". Enter in more ghettoness, please see the pictures below. I thought I could post pictures and I took pics of the stained bed,walls and dirty bath tub. I'll be sending them to the management in the morning. Go elsewhere!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Zettybus
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Located just off the 405 Highway. Have completed numerous upgrades to hotel - lobby, restaurant, lounge, patio, pool and rooms. Free self parking. Very modern, clean and comfortable. Rooms are well appointed with new carpet, wallpaper, chairs, etc. Bathroom also nice. Once drawback is you have to pay for internet service. Very nice staff. I have stayed at this property several times for business and the staff always remembers my name. Breakfast buffet offers many choices. Food is good. They also have a small counter that sells Starbucks. The area the hotel is in is not the greatest but not the worst either. If you want to go for a walk use the treadmill in the gym. Elevators have a key card system in which you must use your room key for the elevator to work. This is a nice safety feature. I would hichly recommend this property. It is very convenient to many areas such as LA, Long Beach, the beaches, Disney, HomeDepot Center, etc.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I just spent three very pleasant nights at the Doubletree Carson. As a Diamond HHonors member, I was happy that they recognized this at check-in and they had a room for me on the top floor. I didn't get a room upgrade, but the room itself was very large and very new. I read about the renovations, and they must be complete, because the hotel looks great.

I found the staff to be very friendly and very helpful, both at the front desk and in the restaurant at breakfast. I really liked the folks at this hotel.

The breakfast buffet was extensive and very fresh. Sometimes the Doubletree breakfast gets tiresom, but the Chobani yogurt and small diced strawberries were a big plus...as was the rest of the fruit selection. Also, it was VERY NICE that waitresses always got me an extra coffee in a to-go cup. That's good service. Thanks!

The gym was new, but a little on the small side. I liked the free weights. However, I did not like how each individual tv for the treadmills had only random cable channels. There was no consistency, and no standard channels...just weird oddball channels. That was a letdown.

This hotel was popular! Big events every night, so it was fun to walk through the lobby and see a packed bar and lots of people milling about. They make you use your key to get to your floor, so that keeps only guests on the guest floors. I like that.

My only gripe with my room was that you could hear the doors slamming in the hall when other guests inconsiderately closed their doors hard. Also, I had a door to the adjacent room in my room. The result was that I could hear their very loud TV. But the hotel came to the rescue and discreetly told the folks to turn their TV down (around midnight). Otherwise, the room was peaceful and quiet. Also, I'd have preferred to be able to open my window, but alas, the world is against us on that front.

Parking's free, which is nice, and there are plenty of restaurants within a five minute drive. Go fifteen minutes, and you have tons of options.

All in all, I really liked this hotel and would gladly recommend it to anyone needing to stay in the area. And as a Diamond HHonors member, I'd tell other Doubletrees to take a look at this place as a model. Fix those couple of minor issues, and you'd be five stars in my mind.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carson
Motel 6 Carson
#3 of 5 in Carson
Harbor
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Pedro

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Carson? Share your experiences!