“good location; helpful staff”

Hampton Inn Los Angeles / Carson / Torrance
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Carson
Mount Prospect, Illinois
“good location; helpful staff”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I like this location because it's near the office; basically one of the better business hotels nearby. The neighborhood isn't the greatest but overall feels pretty safe staying there. Have stayed here many times and put our coworkers here everytime when they come into town as well.

Room Tip: high floor, near elevator
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Citrus Heights, California
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We chose this Hampton because we were going to Disneyland the next day and wanted to save some money. We got the room for free through Hilton Honors.

First thing: The location is fine. The map may look scary but the location is fine. The hotel also has taken some security measures for safekeeping as well.

The hotel is nice, typical Hampton decor. One problem was that Housekeeping left a very bad odor in the hallway when we checked in. It lasted several hours. At least the smell was some cleaning solution, so they are cleaning that is good. But very offputting.

The room was fine. The sheets were not as soft as we are used to from Hampton. But overall, the room was good, clean.

The staff was pretty good. The lady at check in was very nice. The overnight guy was nice and tried very hard to be helpful, but his English wasn't very good.

Overall, we got what we expected. Can't really ask for more than that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the freeway side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Where do I start? Any hotel that needs a security guard to roam the parking lot at night makes me anxious? What happened that necessitated that? But, as I arrived late, I didn't let that deter me.
The front desk clerk was friendly enough. But I still couldn't get over the unease of the cameras and security guard.The neighborhood is not unpleasant, but mostly industrial.
My new broken-record hotel complaint is harsh lighting. First of all, those industrial blue florescent bulbs make a rooms seem cold and sterile, but more than that, they are very difficult to read or use a computer by.
The breakfast is average - but certainly not bad. They do have a coin laundry, which is most appreciated, and they also have a small pool, if you wanted such a thing.
The elevators aren't impossibly slow, but neither are they lightning fast.
I loved that they had rooms at a "discounted" point rate. I am able to forgive a lot for that. But, would I pay full retail to stay here? No.

Room Tip: If road noise bothers you, Albertoni St is fairly busy. If it doesn't then the morning sun is ni...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We took the advice of previous reviews and called ahead to secure a room away from the freeway side of the hotel. They were very accommodating. When we got there they had 2 rooms for us to choose from. Because we were delayed traveling from AZ and in traffic it was a stretch. They were at capacity so I really appreciated that they made an effort to find us a room that was quiet. Nice AM breakfast as well :-) Our daughter had a college visit so it made fora great day.

Thumbs up for the whole staff!

• Stayed December 2012
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed twice on this hotel during our vacation time in L.A. The people at the hampton are just so kind and eager to go the extra mile. That is a great pro for this hotel. Its price was hard to beat. Breakfast was ok, a little improvement wouldnt hurt, like having real eggs instead of powder ones, or fresh fruit instead of canned. Even though they provide breakfast in a bag for early birds and fresh complimentary coffee and tea 24 hs. Plus waffle machine, different kinds of cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, bagels and pastries. Rooms are spacious, clean, bed is extra comfortable, pillows are fluffy, minifridge is convenient. Wifi worked perfectly, parking was never a problem. At the side of a freeway ramp the hotel is very accesible. At least three major routes would cross within a 2 block radius which made reaching your destination a very easy and quick task, although it is far from major attractions the price makes up for it. I mean, its only a 15 minute drive from the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the freeway, to the left of the elevator to avoid as much noi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I spent two nights at this location (using Hilton Honors points) during a spontaneous trip to LA (my first to the area). I'm so pleased that I took the plunge and decided to stay here! The hotel is super clean and the staff is super friendly (which I've come to expect from Hampton Inns). It offers the trifecta of value in my book: free parking, free breakfast and free in-room wifi. (I've never understood why hotels--especially luxury properties at much higher price points--fee justified in nickel and dimeing you for these amenities). The location is convenient, not far from the Home Depot center and USC Dominguez Hills. Plenty of eating options withing walking distance; plenty of additional eating and shopping options a short drive away. I was initially wary of staying in Carson--all I could surmise from the map is that it is one town over from Compton--and wondered if it would be safe. All I can say is that safety was a non-issue! The room was large and comfortable (especially the queen bed). My room was on the back of the hotel facing the freeway; while the traffic noise wasn't overpowering I would have requested a room on the front side of the building had I known. Again, let me emphasize the cleanliness of this property and its convenient location--especially for someone who has never been to LA before. It was easy to get everywhere I wanted (LAX, Long Beach, downtown, Hollywood, and all of the beachfront communities up and down the PCH, etc.). Breakfast was typical hotel continental offering; not gourmet by any stretch but better than many I've seen. Breakfast to Go prepacked at front desk counter was a nice touch for guests who didn't have time to sit down and eat.

Room Tip: rooms on back of building overlook freeway; noise was bearable. I suspect rooms on front of buildin...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Cozumel, Mexico
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This Hampton Inn was an excellent choice as we used points, which were very affordable per night. A Complementary Breakfast is served every morning with everything from Fresh Fruit, to Eggs and Bagels. Nice Touch for Hampton. What I liked was the convienience to basically get to downtown LA, The Valley, and Beach areas as the 405/110/91 freeways are right there. In LA, its all about the freeways, and the ease of access to these arteries made travel a whole lot less hectic. Rooms were clean, WI-Fi worked everytime, Nice big fridge, Plazma TV 32#. A real pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carson
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Carson
Courtyard Los Angeles Torrance/South Bay
Holiday Inn Torrance
Holiday Inn Torrance
#12 of 20 in Torrance

Been to Hampton Inn Los Angeles / Carson / Torrance? Share your experiences!