“Loved the food, service not great”

Giannfranco's Trattoria L
Ranked #7 of 76 Restaurants in Carpinteria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Authentic Upscale Italian Cuisine. Freshly prepared when you order. Local Ingredients and Imported Italian Products used in our cooking. Amazing Italian wine List served by Professional Servers.
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My daughter and I went here twice recently. We loved the food, but the service was not great. We did not make reservations so perhaps that had something to do with it, though we got seated right away. The first time we ordered seafood tortellini which was excellent with a spicy tomato cream sauce. The second time I ordered a spinach ravioli with a lemon pine nut sauce, also excellent.The menu is extensive with many great choices. It is a small restaurant and kind of crowded so if you are looking for an intimate dinner, this is not the place. The wait for ordering and for getting the food was long, so the service was not great. However, I would go again just because the food was very good.

Giannfrancos, Owner at Giannfranco's Trattoria L, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

We know you have many choices and we thank you for allowing Giannfranco's Trattoria to serve you. I am co-owner and chef of Giannfranco's, the son, and take every review whether positive or negative very seriously. What many of our guests don't know, is that we cook every single dish and sauce for each individual entrée per order just like in Italy. We reduce every sauce per order and this takes a bit longer. We have no steam tables full of food where it's just scooped and served to the guest like many restaurants do. I take great care and pride in every single dish I cook. In a way, I cook for myself and if I am not satisfied with the dish, I can not serve it to our guests. I hope that my explanation on the waiting time has persuade you to join us again to enjoy another amazing dining experience. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We were welcomed quickly and seated on the patio after being assured that the heaters were on. The heater beside the table made it very comfortable to be outside. We really enjoyed the ravioli stuffed with butternut squash. The portions were just right for us. We would certainly go back again.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

So so many things to love! about this Family Run Gem!. Located In the seaside laid back town of Carpinteria. No traffic..no crowds...except the full tables inside..no valet parking rip off. The entire vibe is warm, inviting, caring. Exceptional service, attention to detail and the food is beyond delicious!!!!!! Fabulous Salad selections that take advantage of locally grown produce...Melt in your mouth entrees...the Salmon..the Veal Pizziola just to name a couple...Wonderful selections to choose from...Don't even think twice Just Go...You will be glad you did!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Anna and Franco's trattoria, with son Gio in the kitchen, is an extremely friendly place with excellent food. The menu was mostly traditional Italian fare, but with enough variation to make it really interesting. Sauces are excellent. The prices are right in this high rent California area (Santa Barbara and Montecito are just west of here.)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Hands down best in Carpinteria!!! Love Anna, Gio and Frank they are fantastic down to earth people that clearly take pride in making everyone that steps in the door feel very welcome.

We come to Carpinteria about once a month if not twice and Giannfranco's is always on our list of places to eat. sometimes more than once. (hehehe)

Love the dessert tray too, very fresh and delicious!

a bit pricey but worth it.