“Happy with this place”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Carpinteria
Madison, WI
“Happy with this place”
Reviewed February 15, 2007

I found this hotel to be quite nice -- room was large and clean, service was adequate, and the hotel was located within walking distance of a lot of shops and restaurants yet also near the 101 Freeway. I was staying here for a work-related training session, so I was very pleased that my room was located just a few doors down from the conference room where we were working. This made going back and forth very convenient. Did not use pool or fitness room so I cannot comment on that.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Korean first
Texas
Reviewed February 11, 2007

We stayed here on a family weekend getaway -- the other HI in Ventura could't offer us a suite.
The property is older and not as nicely decorated as others I've been in. The staff was not terribly helpful - I called down for extra pillows and was told I had to come to the desk myself to get them as there wasn't enough staff on duty. When we checked out hubby had to spend several minutes going over our Priority Club stuff as they couldn't do a remote lookup through our address.
When we arrived we changed rooms because ours smelled - it may be a 100% non smoking hotel but I think someone had previously and it was the cleaning stuff.
Close to the freeway but not to noisy.

While it wasn't the worst it wasn't the greatest either.

The pool was decent and heated and the jacuzzi worked fine - but what's up with the dinky towels - and hubby had to get them from the weight room.

Stayed February 2007
Highland, California
Reviewed August 26, 2006

Upon arrival, I had to wait a long time to be checked in. The guy at the desk didnt seem to know what he was doing. When I was able to check in, I got two little gifts for being a priority club member, so that was nice. However, once I got to our room upstairs, there was only one bed, not two, which was on my reservation. Had to drag the luggage and kids back downstairs for a new room.
The overall stay was nice, even though the fire alarm went off and the staff seemed confused on what to do.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank penceyprep
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2006

One of the best holiday inn express hotels we've stayed in.
We found the room to be clean, spacious enough for two adults, two kids. Very friendly staff. We didn't use the pool but it looked ok. However the nearby beach is fabulous. We loved the town and the locals too and it's a great way to stay near Santa Barbra without paying the inflated prices there. Would definately return.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pool was small
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank samiat
Reviewed July 18, 2006

My sisters, ages 65 and 79 yrs. made reservations in May for a handicapped room for the nights of July 6, 7, 8, & 9. Our family was having a reunion at the nearby state beach. The room they were given on the 6th was not at all suitable for a person with a handicap, it only had one grab bar inside the bath tub, a person could not get out of the tub once they were in. They stayed in that room on the 6th and after some efforts were given a true handicapped room for the remainder of their stay. They stayed in the room on the 7th and upon leaving told the people at the desk that they would be back that night. The hotel had my sister's credit card no. and she had a confirmed reservation for the 8th and 9th.
After spending the day at the park with the rest of the family, my sisters returned to their hotel around 10:15 the night of the 8th. Their keys did not open the door so my 65 year old sister went to the desk for assistance. She was told that someone else was in the room. My sister showed the person at the desk her confirmation paper and asked to speak to the manager. The manager was called on the phone but he refused to speak to my sister. They were given their personal belongings, which had been thrown into garment bags (my 79 year old sister's tooth brush was found in her shoe at the bottom of a bag). The bag was labled "Stuff from #153"
The person at the desk did find another hotel room for my sisters in a city over 20 miles away, at 11:00 at night, my sisters were driving to a strange town to find another hotel. They didn't get settled in until after midnight. My sisters felt very degraded and humiliated.
I have recieved no response to my e-mails to customer care, I caution anyone about trusting this hotel. I have never heard of such treatment in my life and won't give the Holiday Inn hotels another chance to mistreat me.
Karyn Morelli

Stayed June 2006
8 Thank TravelProKaryn
SunsetPacific, Management at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria, responded to this review, July 24, 2006
This guest's experience was unfortunate. The guest reserved a handicap accessible room, but DID NOT request a roll-in shower. The hotel accommodated the request the second day, but staff was confused when the name on the luggage in the new room the guest moved into didn't match the registered guest's name. Staff, believing the previous guest had left luggage behind, packed the guest out. In an effort to correct the incident, Holiday Inn Express refunded the guest for their two nights with us AND paid for two nights at the nearest upgraded hotel (9 miles away) that could accommodate the guest's request for a roll-in shower. (Our hotel was sold out).

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 9, 2006

Nice rooms/spacious. Clean and lots of amenities. Pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2006

Very nice hotel in a pretty Californian coastal Town. Only 10 minutes from Santa Barbara on the 101 highway but much more reasonably priced.
Plenty of parking and a 5 minute walk to shops and restaurants. Free breakfast in the orning serving cereal, toast bagels, muffins, cinammon rolls, boiled eggs, tea & coffee. Free coffee during the day in reception. Nice pool and spa and an onsite laundry. make sure you have quarters to use it. Powder available from front desk. Maid service good and discrete - look out for the way the pillows are balanced on their sides - looks like a poltageist has been in the room! A bit bizarre!
Overall highly recommended and will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank Subandrio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carpinteria
Best Western Plus Carpinteria Inn
The Wayfarer
The Wayfarer
#18 of 52 in Santa Barbara
Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria South

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria? Share your experiences!