“Filthy room and loud events”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Carpinteria Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Carpinteria
Portland, Oregon
“Filthy room and loud events”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I arrived after a very long and stressful drive and they wouldn't let me check in yet. I was only there 40 minutes before 3:00 but they wouldn't even make an exception. I told them I would like to check in and then I can wait to enter the room if they wanted, but that way I wouldn't have to wait in line again. Nope. I went out and sat in my freakin' car and then went back at 3:00 and of course, now there was a huge line. After waiting 30 minutes, I finally got checked in.

I was excited by the exterior and the lobby and then disappointed with the room... the carpets had grown in dirt and even loose debris so it didn't look like it had been vacuumed in a while. Tub had some mold/mildew around it so trying to relax with a bath was not an option. Toothpaste that had been smeared on the mirror for god only knows how long hadn't been scrubbed off. I stayed a week and just tolerated it because it is was close to where I needed to be. The restaurant had below mediocre food, and the service in the restaurant was terrible, slow, unenthusiastic even though they were totally dead. No towels for the hot tub so had to walk all the way back and wait for them and this happened every time I tried to use the hot tub.
I was there for important meetings and was shocked that on a Monday or Tuesday night they had some huge bus of drunk people come to their tiny bar. Unfortunately, I was on the same floor of this bar and even though I was quite a few dozen feet away in my room, I couldn't relax or sleep. These drunk people were running about the halls, drunk, screaming, yelping, laughing, talking... for hours and hours. At 1:30am, I was so tired and had to get up early so I went to the lobby and asked what was going on because that group of 30 people were drunk and loud and I couldn't sleep. I was simply told that they come once per month and they are on a tour. I reminded him that it is a weeknight... it's late... he said, yah, they'll wind down soon I'm sure.

Real nice.

It was just disappointing... the decor of the room was great. But these other details make a difference... Hopefully they will make some improvements because beside the couple of cleanliness and service issues and the loud party bus group, the place is quite nice. Too bad.

Room Tip: Stay off the 3rd (top) floor even though this seems like it would be a smart move... the restaurant...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BoredReviewer
bwcarpinn, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carpinteria Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
I would like to apologize for the delay you endured during the check in process. We do strive to accommodate guests as they check in and as rooms permit. I apologies we didn’t have accessibility for you any earlier than 3pm. I will converse with the staff and make areas in which we can improve this.

I have shared your comments with the head of housekeeping and staff on the condition you state the room was in, as well as the restaurant staff, that is not the way we choose to present our rooms or our restaurant
If you will be returning to the Carpentaria please contact me direct we would like the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Elizabeth Noriega

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Grass Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

As we finished our long drive from Grass Valley, Ca. to Santa Barbara, Ca. to enjoy our son's wedding, we were please to see most of the wedding party in the beautiful garden area that all of the inside rooms could enjoy. Our rooms were spacious, with all that you would need. A refrig, a nice 40" inch flat screen, and 2 comfortable queen beds. Our room faced the street down below, but I would rather of stayed in a room looking towards the ocean or the center garden area. The pool was the same size as the spa, so don't even plan on use it for swimming. The food in the bar restaurant, was fair. But the bartender was not in the best of moods. It would seem that since this is a wedding party, you would be greeting people with a smile and not a warning. Many of the wedding party felt uncomfortable, so they took to the street fair to enjoy there meals and drinks. The wedding was in Santa Barbara, and a joy to see everyone having a good time. A good thing was renting the local trolley from Rockstar Limo's and Taxi's. Over 50 of the wedding party were taken from the hotel, to the park where the wedding and recep. was being held, and back. Almost everyone on board had a great time. Getting back to the hotel, we had plan thru the hotel to have a small after party with live music from a wedding guest. We had lined everything up with the hotel. It was still early, and as everyone got ready to sit down and listen to some quite music, we were told "No!". We had planned everything out, people were there, but now the hotel shut it down. Many of us complained, and we were told that if we did get something together, they would call the police. So again, many of us either retired to our rooms, way early, or walked back down to the downtown fair area. Many were disappointed, but again we were told they would call the police. In the bar area many of the people were told by the bartender that they were shutting things down early, but they had said we could use the area for the after party. Anyway, most departed the next day saying it would be difficult to return to this Best Western because of the way we were treated. We did find out that there was an issue with one of the rooms, on the Friday night before the wedding, but those people were asked to leave. But with the over 100 people renting the hotel, from the wedding, we were told it would be alright to have our get together prior. As many of us had came from around the USA to be there.

Room Tip: The rooms on the inside garden area are best for sleeping in and looking down into the plaza.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank David L
Burton Bradstock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Being easy to find from the freeway meant there was noise from the road. Food in the restaurant was quite poor served by an uninterested waitress. The hotel has an attractive courtyard and convenient parking reception staff helpful

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank bbbythesea
Irvine, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I know from experience that Best Westerns are hit or miss. This is a miss although I have to say it is a very good price for the Santa Barbara area. The rooms are basic, basic, basic. Clean enough but some what dated. The real issue was the stupid front desk management. I got there exhausted at around 10:30 and was informed that I couldn't check in because they were changing shifts and had to update the computer - it would take about 10 minutes. More like 20 minutes sitting in a crappy lobby at 10:30 at night. And I was not alone. Guest were piling up all over the lobby and I heard the clerk tell people who called "I can't help you right now because of computers". He even said that to people who were stopping in to check on prices and availability. First of all it is a stupid system and secondly why do it at 10:30? Wouldn't midnight be better?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank dspolett
bwcarpinn, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carpinteria Inn, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Dspolett,

We would like to apologies for the wait while in transition between shifts and computer updates. My staff and I are taking steps to prevent this situation from occurring again in the future. We appreciate the patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Best Western PLUS Carpinteria Inn the next time you are in Carpinteria. I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a happy one

Kindly
Elizabeth Noiega
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Although the location, cleanliness and value is good, customer service from staff is lacking. I have stayed there on several occasions and even the slightest request will result in a "no". One issue, the TV would turn itself off. Weird.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank PJJ33
Dear PJJ33,

I am disappointed we failed to give you the fine service and consideration we strive for with all our guests-the type of service we pride ourselves in. Please know that your comments have been reviewed in detail with our management and staff and steps will be taken to ensure these faults are solved promptly and impeccably for our guests.

Kindly,
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I live in LA and was traveling to Santa Barbara for a concert and decided to book this hotel at the last minute. I reviewed the policy's before leaving to go to the hotel. It says check in was at 2:00pm. I arrived at 2:10pm and was advised that none of the rooms are ready and was told check in will now be at 3:00pm. I asked the clerk if there was anything local I cold do while I wait to check in. I got no response. I walked next door to Carl's Jr for a snack and everyone was talking about the Festival going on in town a few blocks away. I walked the 5 minute walk toward the beach and saw the Street Fair. They had food vendors and exibits to kill some time. Since it was nice out I stayed by the beack until 3:00pm. When I returned another person that was checking was having a talk with the clerk. She kept saying checkin is at 3:00pm. It was after 3:00pm though. I understand rooms not all being ready but this was crazy. Finally they started checkin in people. They didn't call housekeeping to see which rooms are ready. I got my key card and when I arrived at my room it was not ready yet. I went back down to the lobby and advised them my room was not ready. They looked at me like what do you want me to do. I didn't feel comfortable leaving my items in my room so I ended up taking everything to the concert. When I got back my room was made, and I hoped so since it was almost 12:30 am!
The room was good and was comfy. If they only had some more training this would be a great hotel. Since I was there for only 1 night I didnt go to the restaurant on the 3rd floor.
There are a lot of hotels around at around the same price so if you are picky I would stay away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear LATraveler01,

I apologies for the inconvenience during check in time, we will continue educating our staff so the problems that occur during your stay does not happen again. If you are to return we would love the chance to redeem ourselves.

Please contact us direct

Kindly,

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on business for two nights. The staff is friendly & helpful & the room I was in was clean and comfortable. The bed was also comfortable. The hotel also has nice outdoor hot tub area. The hotel is conveniently located to Hwy 101 and there are a good mix of nice restaurants in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Craig W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carpinteria
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria
Ramada Santa Barbara
Ramada Santa Barbara
#25 of 51 in Santa Barbara
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,994 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Carpinteria Inn? Share your experiences!