“Sadly disappointing”

Best Western Plus Carpinteria Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Carpinteria
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We were so disappointed at this beautiful hotel... We did get a courtyard room, so no street noise, but being on the ground floor we could hear every step (etc.) taken in the room above! The hotel was completely full, so we could not change rooms, either (try to check in early when there might still be some options). The bed was great, the room spacious, the bathroom clean and bright with fluffy towels -- but the sound was very distracting at 11 p.m. and then early in the morning around 4 a.m. The other strange feature was the "fire hose" shower head... don't know why there wasn't a more modern and easy to use shower head as we've found in almost all other hotels we've visited recently. Also the breakfast was very limited, crowded and they ran out of some things. Sorry to give a negative vote to this very lovely hotel, but the beauty is only skin deep!

Room Tip: Arrive early in the day so you can request a room on the 3rd floor and on the courtyard.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
bwcarpinn, General Manager at Best Western Plus Carpinteria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2012

Dear CathyofCal,

Thank you for your notifying us about the shower head, noise and breakfast
experience that you had at the Best Western Carpinteria Inn. I appreciate your taking the time to write and hope you will accept my apologies for any inconvenience
during your stay. I will advise our Maintenance and Restaurant Department
of your concerns. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us the next time you are in Carpinteria, CA I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable one.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

So we arrived today at seven pm for a two night stay and I thought it would be good to give feedback for our stay each night. The front desk tonight was very friendly at check in. I asked for adjoining rooms with my mother but was told the hotel was booked, so that was not possible, however, the rooms were right near each other. We also asked if we would be away from the freeway, since we had read on prevous reviews that this was an issue for some people. The nice young man told us we were away from the freeway. Our third room was also close by. We found our rooms and were pleased with the size, cleanliness, etc. One of the rooms needed two beds, but since I had not called ahead of time, I completely understand why we were given only one bed. The man at the front desk was kind enough to offer usna rollaway bed at no extra charge and that was greatly appreciated. After checking in we went to the third floor to have a drink or two at the bar. It was nice but the bartender was not in the best of moods for us tourists, but did seem friendly with the regulars. I am not sure why we we not welcome since we only wanted wine and beer and soda after a long day of driving. We were able to get drinks, but were ready to spend the evening relaxing with drinks, but instead felt we better just asap. So, we we are back at our room and as I sit here I am wondering how I am going to sleep since I can hear only freeway traffic outside, but I did ask to be away from the freeway. Sad, but wondering if tomorrow will be better. I know the nice lady reading this will say she is sorry this evening did not meet my expectation, but at what point will it change? Nce room, nice location in a way, but freeway is very very noisy even when they say you will be away from freeway and we could not enjoy the bar. I hope tomorrowis better.

Room Tip: I asked fir a room away from the freeway and am stil up listening to the freeway. Do not know how to...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Dear Mr. Vazquez,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Best Western Carpinteria Inn, Please accept my apologies for your experience at our property. I am disappointed we failed to give you the fine accommodations and consideration we strive for with all our guests .Please know that your comments have been reviewed in detail with our Restaurant Department and steps have been taken to ensure these faults are solved promptly and impeccably for our guests.

Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed for a couple of nights between Christmas and new year, our first time in the area of Santa Barbara. We paid about $60 per night, which ended up being excellent value for money.

While the hotel was almost fully booked, we got a fairly sized room. I read some other reviews and knew that you have to ask for a room far from the side facing the highway, which was not a problem at all in our case. Check-in was quick and professional.

The hotel is a well decorated and maintained Best Western, pretty much in the Spanish style characteristic of the area of Santa Barbara.

Rooms are just fine, while I still found some unexpected hairs in the towels and stains in the pillows. I guess that is what you get when you pay $60 a night.

Staff was very accommodative with our request for a late check out, which was great given the extra time we need as we travel with kids.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed November 29, 2011

My wife and I stayed here on our drive up the California coast. We chose to stay in Carpineteria, because of the higher price of other hotels nearby.
Of all the places we stayed, ranging from Los Angeles, Monterrey, Paso Robles, Santa Maria to San Francisco, this was our favorite hotel. We regretted leaving, as we would have been quite happy spending much more time here.

The courtyard rooms are highly recommended. These rooms are in the older part of the hotel. They have solid wood doors, thick sound muffling walls, and balconies to view, and hear the courtyard and fountains. (see the photos)

Service was excellent at check in and check out, and they pointed us to a nearby restaurant.
The rooms were clean, with newer mattresses and pillows.

Room Tip: request a courtyard room, as they overlook a spanish style courtyard. See photos.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This hotel is right off the 101 freeway. Good thing for me because I arrived late and leaving early next day. But also bad because I got a room in the rear which overlooked the freeway and it was defintely noisy. The walls were also very thin, I heard my neighbors television programs into the late hours of the night. The hotel was warm and cozy. The rooms were of good size. There was a small refrigerator inside room. I would stay here again but I would not stay in a room to the rear. I would make sure I was in the front of the hotel.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
bwcarpinn, General Manager at Best Western Plus Carpinteria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2011

Dear Boarlady,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience and please accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations. Please know that we do have a 24hr front desk staff to assist in any way possible to accommodate our guest needs, our goal is to exceed the expectations of all guest. We would also like to thank you for considering to stay with us in the near future. If you wish to contact management please do not hesitate to do so.

Reviewed November 23, 2011

Our brief two-night stay at this property was exceedingly comfortable. The property is located about 10 minutes south of Santa Barbara next to the 101 Freeway. We had a few things planned in Santa Barbara for the weekend so we made this our base of operations.

I can see how some of the rooms could be noisy, especially those that front the freeway. However, many of the rooms face an interior courtyard that is quiet, peaceful, and inviting. Our room was on the third floor overlooking the courtyard and noise was not an issue.

The room was exceedingly clean and well maintained. The bathroom was spotless and the bed had a comfortable pillow-top firmness. As mentioned above, our room overlooked the courtyard and had French doors that lead out on to a balcony. The only issue with the balcony is that it spans the length of one or two other rooms depending on your location. As such, it is not a private balcony. Each room, however, is provided a small balcony table and two chairs. Had we not been so busy in Santa Barbara, I would have enjoyed some time on the balcony with a good book.

The hotel has a lot of charm and character. The style can be described as California mission with its thick white walls and red tiled roof. It also possesses a number of small passage ways, stairways, and small alcoves. The courtyard is beautifully landscaped with grass, flowers, and tall palm trees. A center walking path spans the length of the courtyard and passes by a koi-filled fountain.

The restaurant is on the third floor and provides tables that overlook the courtyard for a peaceful breakfast experience. Their prices are reasonable. However, their portions tended to be on the small side, which could be an issue if you like to eat a big breakfast.

Overall, a very pleasant experience and our next trip to Santa Barbara will certainly include staying at the Inn.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kdvillines
Reviewed November 7, 2011

High price for a NOISY location, unless you are fortunate enough to secure a courtyard room and no "Plus" value at all to warrant the signeage stating it is a BW Plus Inn.

1st night, we were assigned a smelly and noisy room (254) by an inexperienced desk clerk, "J" who didn't know the hotel layout. Our request, understood that requests are not guaranteed to be fulfilled, was for a quiet room as we're both light sleepers. Room 254 is probably the MOST noisy of all rooms! Stairsway down right outside the window, PLUS main street just over the wall, PLUS 101 Freeway South off- and on-ramp just over the other wall, PLUS Amtrack whistles all through the night, window open or closed, PLUS the guy who coughed up his lungs some time after midnight, PLUS the groups of over-alcoholed guests loudly entering the hotel by the minor-entrance door right next to our room. Why was the window open? to dispell the musty smell - the bathroom extractor mechanism is near zero air flow and cannot be controlled from within your room. Shower is hot - cold - hot - scalding - hot - cold, get the picture... Shower head must be from the 60's reject pile - scaled and rusty and the flow knob is broken off. The rust down the shower tiles is indicative of something. The 2 foot by 18 inch water mark in the ceiling is a great decorative accent.

2nd night was far better - a courtyard room, which was very quiet. Marissa was on the front desk and she was brilliant. We packed up, left for the day's activities in Santa Barbera and our cases were moved to 233.

The only problems with 233 were the same near-zero extractor so you're in fog. Same scald-you, chill-you shower joy, but it was in better shape. The very dangerous ironing table capped our stay on the Sunday before we left - thankfully my brain told me not catch the falling hot iron! The photo I took and showed Marissa the next day can be published if anyone gets burned in 233.

Admittedly, it was my own fault for not noticing the LACK of an included breakfast but for a Best Western PLUS this should be obligatory.

The TVs are ancient - both rooms' boxes were fuzzy and muffled on sound and the initial volume would wake the dead, and to immediately advertise "adult" movies on TV power-up is obscene and offensive, showing NO consideration for children.

Nickel and dime approach: 1) no breakfast = pay more, 2) no movies = pay more and have to contact front desk.

NOISE, NOISE, NOISE. This is the worst situated hotel in the BW chain I've ever stayed at.

"J", on front desk, needs more than a class 101. Besides the room faux pas, he also didn't enter our 1 night free voucher, so the bill was wildly wrong, and they reserved $200 too much with the Credit Card.

The Manager declined to adjust the bill for awful first night, offering only a 15% "next time" discount - as if we will EVER return! There is absolutely NOTHING that would warrant a "Plus" label for this hotel. We have stayed at 5 others in the last 5 months and ALL of them, even the worst of them at Fort Bragg, was better than this. Carpinteria should take a leaf out of Klamath Falls' book and present a REAL Best Western quality hotel product rather than the miserable offering currently vended.

Room Tip: Courtyard ONLY or you'll enjoy the 101 and the train whistles all night.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SAinCA
bwcarpinn, Manager at Best Western Plus Carpinteria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Dear SAinCA,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your
expectations. At Best Western we strive every day to provide a superior customer
experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. We will use the
feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better
experience in the future.

Because we value your business, we have sent an email to you on Nov 7th regarding your stay with us, Please contact us directly to assist you.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Carpinteria Inn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carpinteria
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria
Montecito Inn
Montecito Inn
#17 of 52 in Santa Barbara
Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites

Been to Best Western Plus Carpinteria Inn? Share your experiences!