“Nothing Special”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Carpinteria
Seattle, Washington
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

Our stay at this Best Western was acceptable and suitable as a place to rest. The room was pretty basic with an average bed, television and fixtures. The bathroom was similarly functional but not great. The a/c in our room worked well and there wasn't any noticeable outside noise.

The exterior of the hotel and the landscaped courtyard was very nice - what I would expect from a coastal California hotel. There was a small fitness room with one weight machine, a bike and treadmill. I checked out the third floor bar/restaurant but it didn't look overly exciting.

The location is right off Highway 101 and a few minutes from downtown Carpinteria (check out Esau's for breakfast). Not a bad option if you are visiting Santa Monica and (ten minutes away) and are fine with a basic hotel. This property will likely be much cheaper than comparable options in Santa Monica.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rjc260

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Whitehorse, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

I travelled for 14 days and stayed at 7 Best Western properties between SFO and LAX. The top 3 were in Sunnyvale, Watsonville, Pismo Beach. Although the exterior of the hotel, the courtyard and the garden look fantastic, the amenities and the beds were the worst in my experience as both a traveller and a tour operator.
The mattress in room 125 needs to be replaced and the one in room 240 was not much better.
I expected better from the front desk. It ruined both nights as both my wife and I had little sleep.
The rack rate for the friday night was $169 which in my opinion is about $50 too much for the quality of the room.

Room Tip: Check your room mattress first and insist on a better one
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Little B
bwcarpinn, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carpinteria Inn, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear B

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Please know that your comments have been reviewed in detail with our housekeeping director regarding the beds in room 125 and 240 we will take the steps necessary to ensure these faults never occur again impeccably for our guest and in this hotel.

Again my sincere apologies for any inconvenience, if there is anything else that we can do on regard to this matter, please don't hesitate to contact us direct

Kindly
Elizabeth Noriega
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

We had expected to stay in Santa Barbara but just didn't really like the feel of the place, so despite being pretty weary we travelled on and for no good reason (no bad one either) we dropped into this hotel. We were welcomed warmly and offered a good deal.

We were given a room on Level 1 but unlike a previous reviewer, we found it to be quiet and clean, even though the hotel had high occupancy on the night (as another hotel up the road was having power problems). The pool is small and the spa (which is separate) is even smaller, but on a warm day our kids enjoyed the dip in the pool.

Breakfast is not included (at least it wasn't in our rate) but the restaurant served a nice breakfast at a reasonable price, and you got your choice of a quiet table or one watching the TV. There is a very nice garden in the middle of the hotel for some relaxation after a long drive.

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable.

On the day we arrived the main street was closed for a market, but it was easy to get around the town although a car is probably necessary unless you are up for a big walk. There iare however a few food options from takeaway to restaurants within a short distance of the Best Western.

Happy to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank David P
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

My family of four stayed at this hotel on the drive back from San Francisco in July. This hotel is very close to Hwy. 101 and super easy to find. It's a bit of a hike to the downtown area, but if you really want to get your exercise in, walking is fine. However, right across the street from the Hotel is a shuttle stop (blue-painted bench). The shuttle is only 25 cents and makes several stops around the downtown area, including one right in front of the beach.

The hotel itself was very clean and quiet. We got upgraded to a jr. suite (which was great) and, as a result, had plenty of space. Even though the hotel is located very close to the highway, we did not hear any traffic noise.

The pool and spa were very small. This didn't bother us, because we preferred to go to the beach anyway. However, the pool is wedged in so close to the rooms, you may want to make sure your room is not near the pool (unless you don't mind a little outside noise).

There are a ton of little shops and restaurants you can visit - all nearby. We went to the Worker Bee Cafe, which had a great breakfast. There was also a wonderful bookstore just a few doors down from the Worker Bee that my kids just loved.

All in all, this hotel was a good value and I would stay here again and would definitely recommend Carpinteria for a fun weekend getaway.

Room Tip: To avoid noise, stay away from the pool, which is located very close to the buildings.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MadHatterMom
La Habra, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

The location of your room is everything! If I had paid more, and stayed on the top floor, overlooking the beautiful courtyard, I may have had a better experience. But, no, I was stuck on the hellish first floor. That's what I get for thinking, "I'll take the least expensive room, since it's only a one night's stay." I chose this hotel based on this hotel's reputation for a clean, efficient hotel. I wasn't expecting much, but this "hotel" was more like a "motel." Actually, I have stayed in better "motels." You can hear every laugh, cough, shower and flushed toilet. Not to mention every footstep above you (the people upstairs sounded like they were practicing for a marching band all night). I asked to be changed to a quieter room, but the staff informed me that would cost more money. Is that their ploy? Put "cheap" guests on the ridiculously noisy first floor, knowing that they will call and complain? Then offer them a quiet room "for an additional charge?" Wow! I will never stay here again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank RachJim
bwcarpinn, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carpinteria Inn, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Rach Jim

I appreciate that you took the time to bring this matter to our attention, I am disappointed we failed to give you the fine accommodations/attention/service and consideration we strive for with our entire guest. Please know that your comments have been reviewed in detail with our Front Desk Manager regarding the noise you experience.

I will like to have a chance to redeem ourselves. Should your travels bring you back to Carpinteria, Please contact me and I will handle your reservations personally.

Kindly
Liz Noriega
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

Beautiful grounds, comfortable room. Well priced for the area.

• Stayed October 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Driving from Las Vegas through Los Angeles to Santa Monica, stopping to eat at Duke's in Malibu before driving up Pacific Coast Highway we stayed here. This hotel is very conveniently located right off the highway and affordable. It is an older hotel but the grounds and courtyard are very nicely kept and the room was clean. We planned on stopping in Santa Barbara and driving on to Solveng the next day. We stayed on the ground floor and could hear the people walking around in the room above us at night and in the morning but not to the extent to interfere with our sleep. I would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want to turn in early or sleep late, get an upstairs room. This is a small hotel with only tw...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carpinteria
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carpinteria
Ramada Santa Barbara
Ramada Santa Barbara
#24 of 51 in Santa Barbara
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,992 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Carpinteria Inn? Share your experiences!