Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria South
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Carpinteria
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

accomodations were terrible, black hair in the bed, painted over mold in the bathroom, no coffee, hair dryer, etc... AND NO AC or FAN and it was hot! screaming kids, just felt dirty and run down all around... never going back...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CandJCaspers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Amazing hotel. Located right next to the beaches. No free Breakfast, good service. Located near a CVS, and a bunch of restaurants.

• Stayed July 2012
Big Bear Region, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

just enough quiet and cleanliness in the building and the room to enjoy our trip up the coast. It was affordable on a bust GRAD weekend at UCSB. We were glad for the place to stretch out, to rest and then get on our way to Santa Ynez and the mission.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vikingfuneral
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

We were stuck with Motel 6 for a night on our honeymoon due to rental car trouble. It was late and everything around Santa Barbara was sold out. It was also the weekend. With all those things going against us we booked the only room around. We went in and had booked through orbitz. We went into the lobby and the person in front of us was a smoker, as his cigarettes were on the counter. There were two rooms and the desk person gave him the non-smoking room. Which stuck us in smoking. The room had no air conditioning and there was a fan that we were told would clear out the smoke smell. Nope!

We had 2 double beds on a wooden platform, the sheets were stained. We tried to get internet and there was a charge and an error in the system that enabled it. I called the desk and they said sorry. They did call back and give us free interest. That was the best part of the whole stay. Not a glowing recommendation. Find an alternative room to stay in. We were also told this is the better of the two Motel 6's in the area.

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank buffalomoo

Travelers are raving about these Carpinteria hotels

Pacific Beach, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Just as a disclaimer, I booked this room a week before graduation weekend in Santa Barbara because there wasn't anything else available. I'd never been to a Motel 6 before, but I thought, "How bad could it be?"

The day my girlfriend and I were supposed to check in, I called the motel in the afternoon just to make sure we could come later since my reservation confirmation didn't have a check-in time. "Best Wester -- Motel 6?" was how they answered. Strike one. Then, as I tried to ask my question, they cut me off and bluntly said, "We don't have any cancellations for tonight. Is that your question?" Strike 2. I tried to let them know that we were coming in later and I wanted to make sure that was okay. They responded with, "Listen, I've got a line full of customers here. We will be here when you get here!", and then the phone went dead. I was so stunned at how rude this person was. Strike three.

We ended up arriving at 11:30 that evening because we had spent the whole day in Santa Barbara with my family. We got the key and the person at the front desk let me know they charged my card already at 6:00pm. So, we went to the room, opened the door, and it reeked of cigarette smoke -- even though I specifically reserved a non-smoking room. Strike four. My girlfriend has asthma and she was already feeling the effects from the stench. We tried to open the window to let some fresh air in, but it only opened three inches. Once we found the cigarette burns on the bed spread, we decided there was no way we could stay here. Strike 5.

We went down to the person at the front desk, described the situation, and the best they could offer was a partial credit for a "no show." No show? Not only did we show up, but we didn't have the non-smoking room that we paid for. Strike 6. They didn't have any other rooms available, so we ended up driving back up to Santa Barbara and sleeping on our friend's floor at 1:00am.

The next day I called the General Manager, told him the situation, including my girlfriend's health concerns, and he said the best he could offer was a 50% refund. I couldn't believe it. He wanted me to pay $58 for a room that was not only sub-par, but that I didn't even stay in! Strike 7. So, I called Guest Services of the Motel 6 Central Booking System to see if they would be more understanding. After being on hold for a few minutes, they said that there was nothing they could do, and that the refund was at the full discretion of the manger at the property. Strike 8. You would think that if a company wronged a customer it would be in their best interest to make sure I didn't feel ripped off! I was so furious with them because part of me knows that they could have done something to help me out.

Later that day, I went back to the motel to try to speak to the manager one more time. Of course he wasn't there, and since I had to leave to go back home, I reluctantly took the 50% refund. As a young person with many more years of possible Motel 6 stays, you would think that $58 wasn't worth their reputation being tarnished by my bad experience. In the end, I felt like I was taking the loss when they were the ones that made the mistakes. I called my bank and disputed the charge (thank you Chase!), but in the end, I realize I was the one that made the mistake of booking a room at the Carpinteria South Motel 6.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Travis J
Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

My experience was so disconcerting, I left earlier than expected. Trash overflowing in the outside canisters for days on end. Half-empty vodka bottle in the dirt, 4 men in one room around the corner with a barbecue outside their room. Noisy, smokey, sheets were thin and towels were thinner. Could almost see through them. Never again.

Room Tip: Front desk were helpful and accommodating, but overall I would choose another hote.