“Not Impressed”

Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria North
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Carpinteria
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

I am 'currently' staying at Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria South.My day was long and very stressful and all I wanted was to come into my hotel room and relax.That was not the case at all..As I left my dog in the room for the few minutes I walked out to my car I was immediately approached by an employee stating that he had received over four complaints about my dog barking.I wont play innocent and say that my dog wasn't barking, but I was out of the room for less than ten minutes.I highly doubt he received four complaints in that amount of time.Besides, Motel 6 is a pet friendly hotel chain so I'm sure it's not uncommon to hear dogs barking.I payed to stay here and am entitled to at least a few minutes to unpack my luggage without being scolded.

P.s.
There are stains on the bedspreads and the floors are covered in dirt.Plus their wifi is extremely slow for the $2.99 I payed for a days use.

Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

When we re-capture our wonderful time in the states, one night will stay in our heads as the most overprized, dirtiest and loudest night of this four weeks.
We booked on priceline and thought, although the motel looked close to the 101, they would definately do stuff to the rooms to keep at least some noise out. At $85 (the most expensive motel on our roadtrip from LA to SF, and we stayed in San Luis Obispo and Monterey) a night we were pretty darn sure all would be good. We got one of the rooms out heading towards the 101. As we walked the walkway to the room my gf already said, that she hopes that they have soundproof windows. We entered and found that cars and trucks were actually driving through the room. We were very tired, and usually I don't mind sounds, but this was ridiculous. We got like 1.5h sleep max, cause it was crazy and when morning rose, the traffic rose and that was it.
But that was not enough. To that, the sink had stains of some sort (looked sth. like hardened snot) and a looong black hair. Furthermore there was no free wifi ($3 extra which I didn't pay), no coffeemaker, no fridge, no nothing. And for all that we had to pay $85.

Never ever use this motel, even if you are tired as hell, since you don't get any sleep anyways (when you get an upfront room). Sleep in the car in some small sideroad and have a nice long late night dinner for $85.

I would give 0 stars if possible, although the late night front desk guy was nice... So I guess 1 star is ok. It's not his fault, although since he probably knew about the noise, he could have given us a backside room, since we looked veeeeeeeery tired when we arrived.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Daniel M

Travelers are raving about these Carpinteria hotels

Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the weekend of August 1-4, which coincided with Fiesta Days in Santa Barbara. We had reservations for 2 rooms, checked in late on the 1st and woke up to find a bed bug in one of the beds. Upon further search, we found bed bugs in both rooms that we had stayed in (rooms 312 and 313). We informed the front desk and they offered to switch us to other rooms. One of the new rooms was available at that time (room 225) and we checked it, and did not find any bed bugs. We checked the second room (room 226) when we got back for the day and it had bed bugs as well, so we were offered a third room. At that point, the only room they had had one queen bed (we had reserved rooms with 2 full beds), which my 12 year old son and my mother (his grandmother) had to share.

Other than the bugs, the rooms seemed clean. The bedding was old and worn, but the bathrooms were clean, and the site itself seemed clean. The A/C worked fine in the rooms we were in.

After the first night, because the manager was not yet on site, we called Motel 6's customer service line. The individual we spoke with was apologetic and offered us one voucher for a free night stay at Motel 6 in the future, with the understanding that additional remediation would occur. On the 2nd, we purchased matress encasements, at a total cost of almost $600 with the idea that they would provide additional protection from bed bug bites and potential infestation of our belongings, and the expectation that we would be reimbursed for that expense by Motel 6.

The manager was hard to reach; her shift seemed to start at 11, which was later than we wanted to stay to talk with her - we came to the area to vacation, not sit around at the hotel to talk with staff. We talked with her on the 3rd or the 4th to ask about getting reimbursed for the mattress encasements. She stated that she would not be able to reimburse us for those and that we would need to talk to the corporate office. She did not make any attempt to compensate us for our inconvenience.

When we returned home, on August 8, I called the customer service department again and was told that they would not reimburse us for the mattress encasements; that I would need to work with the site to get any reimbursement. I called the manager and was told that all she could do was reimburse us for the first night, when we stayed in rooms infested with bed bugs. There seemed to be some confusion over the fact that we had rented 2 rooms, both of which were infested. I called back on September 5th, because we had not yet received our reimbursement and was told that it would be resolved in a week. I still have not yet received any reimbursement, almost 2 months after our stay.

We will never stay in a Motel 6 again. While I understand that the hotel cannot necessarily prevent bed bug infestation (which can be brought to a site by other travelers), the quality of the customer service to make this situation right was appalling. We spent several hours during our vacation trying to come up with alternative solutions, looking for other hotels, and packing up our belongings and switching rooms (multiple times). When we arrived home, we had to take additional special precautions to ensure that we did not bring bed bugs into our home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank esb1232013
California, USA
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Good - Desk staff friendly.
Bad - Towels thin, small, like Junior HI P.E. towel. Killed a roach on the wall. No toiletries except tiny soap. No hair drier, no coffee maker (coffee at desk in am). Remote wouldn't change channels. Very thin sheets. 2 total pillows. $84 seemed overpriced.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PamShetler
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Santa Barbara - Carpinteria North, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear PShetler - Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for recognizing our friendly team. We apologize for the bedding conditions and remote control issues you experienced during your stay; these issues are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. Please kindly contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Regarding the lack of amenities such as toiletries an in-room coffee maker, hair drier etc. - please know that, as an economy brand, we keep our amenities limited in order to keep our brand promise to offer great value for the lowest price of any national chain.
Mons, Belgium
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

$2.99/day for wifi is no bargain when the download speed is .40 Mbps. The TV reception was only fair on some channels, & one morning the shower went cold after about 15 minutes. Besides those annoying but probably temporary problems, everything else was OK; the staff is friendly & the beds are decent.

It's not great but everything considered, I would stay here again. If you visit, ask for a room on the back of the building (away from freeway noise).

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Its a cheap, convient place to stay for the night. No fancy amenities and the wi-fi cost an extra $3. But its close to the 101 and 10 min from Santa Barbara. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable. No remote for the ancient television but we didn't come to Carpenteria to watch t.v. anyway. Our room faced the pool area and while there were kids swimming late at night the noise didn't reach us on the second floor. All in all a good place to stop for a night during a road trip.

• Stayed July 2013
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This motel six is not remodeled and way over priced I dont know why Californians think you should pay more for less they all seem bent on finding good value I will stay at the state park next time although like everything else in California it to is overpriced at least its not on the freeway.

Room Tip: Get a different motel in another state